Ogre

Re: Terrain Trays

Post by geekjeff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 am

GODofwar wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 am

CLearly, Rabbits and Weasels will (and should) have different requirements
The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5

Different folks, different strokes. While your 24x30” flyboards sound awesome, i would need a whole extra room to store them in, which i do not have.

What i do have right behind my dining room table is this:
IMG_2486.jpg
IMG_2486.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 528 times
I LOVE the fact that in each of those ubiquitous little shelf cubes, I can rack up 6 square feet of solid, magnetically organized, super quickly deployable terrain. The fact that the Trays look super polished and can be used for negative space water & lava builds is a huge plus too.

i think i like the 12x12” chunks better for progressive reveal of a dungeon too, but then again I’ll likely never have the space to drop 5 square feet of Stuff onto the table at once anyways.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 am
Sorry but while there are cheaper alternatives which also allow you to have the 'terrain' you want exactly, none will be as convenient as what DF are providing.

The main reason ? we do not have to make them :)
Wood or metal will all require working and treating which all takes time which we prefer to spend elsewhere, so when you don't have any they are a very obvious option to your negative space needs.

We want them - so they are of use even if they are no use to others - simple :)
CLearly, Rabbits and Weasels will (and should) have different requirements

I will point out that wood plates take about this much time:
--Tocut a plywood 3/8" 4/x8 sheet into 2x2.5' plates, about 25 minutes (ie, 4 min/plate)

Cost: Probably about $20US, or about $3US per plate.

Spray painting the plywood sheet green: 10 minutes and about $3US.

So the time to prepare is a total of about 35 minutes for 6 plates, 6 minutes a plate. Not much. The cost is about $3.50 per plate. The plates are 5 times as big as a Terrain unit so the unit cost comparison is about 70cents US versus what, $10 us for a terrain plate? 15:1 cost.

Certainly, if people need the magnetic properties, go for it. I"m not trying to persuade Trogs or Rabbits not to get terrain plates of wood instead of DwF plates. They are very different. But the time/$ costs favor wood plates very much.

They are very different, but I suggest that time is a very small factor, and the cost is a WHOLE lot less (

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 am

Sorry but while there are cheaper alternatives which also allow you to have the 'terrain' you want exactly, none will be as convenient as what DF are providing.

The main reason ? we do not have to make them :)
Wood or metal will all require working and treating which all takes time which we prefer to spend elsewhere, so when you don't have any they are a very obvious option to your negative space needs.

We want them - so they are of use even if they are no use to others - simple :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Kitenerd is weak.

Kitenerd, send your treasure to me to keep safely, away from your weakness.

I promise, you will spend no more on terrain trays.....

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:55 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm
welcome to the forums trondkla!

terrain trays are super cool and definitely a game changer - i have a 4 story "house" right now that the kids are laying siege to - when i move it to the dinning room table the twins ferry parts back and forth and i reconstruct it- terrain trays would make that a much faster process

I'm stubborn.

I still see absolutely no use for these terrain trays.

We've been using 2' x 2.5 plywood plates for nigh on two years how. When they are full, they require two people to lift - but two can lift 'em easily. I have never had a serious accident with DwF pieces coming off (once or twice an edge piece has dropped off).

I think the terrain tray are expensive and unnecessary....

....UNLESS youwant to do the occasional upside-down set. For that maybe.

I can buy linoleum 12" x 12" for color - and I can get almost any color in the world cheap.

SOlly, cholly, no tiles for moi. I strongly suggest new users consider carefully before getting these. Try cheaper alternatives first.

Gonna continue to be contrarion on this one piece.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
ABSOLUTELY - there are lots of cooler and cheaper ways to do this....- I use plywood and Biowaizrds cool thin black plexi

But terrain trays are VERY seductive - They are just sooo nice.... must have... want... just a few more...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I also see terrain trays as possible to do in house, maybe not a slick but they can be done.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

terrain trays are super cool and definitely a game changer - i have a 4 story "house" right now that the kids are laying siege to - when i move it to the dinning room table the twins ferry parts back and forth and i reconstruct it- terrain trays would make that a much faster process

I'm stubborn.

I still see absolutely no use for these terrain trays.

We've been using 2' x 2.5 plywood plates for nigh on two years how. When they are full, they require two people to lift - but two can lift 'em easily. I have never had a serious accident with DwF pieces coming off (once or twice an edge piece has dropped off).

I think the terrain tray are expensive and unnecessary....

....UNLESS youwant to do the occasional upside-down set. For that maybe.

I can buy linoleum 12" x 12" for color - and I can get almost any color in the world cheap.

SOlly, cholly, no tiles for moi. I strongly suggest new users consider carefully before getting these. Try cheaper alternatives first.

Gonna continue to be contrarion on this one piece.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

DevGuy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DevGuy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Good points geekjeff. Anything larger than 12” seems unwieldy for shipping, handling (kids carrying a 24x24 loaded up with Dwarvenite?) and storage. Notwithstanding texture repeat deficiency you can always use 4x 12” trays for the same result.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:27 pm

I can't wait to see what homebrew designs and textures people come up with for Terrain Trays, there are so many great ideas.

But if you're having sheet metal cut to purpose, please be SUPER CAREFUL about sharp edges. Careless handling of raw cut sheet metal can easily land you in the hospital. The factory finished terrain trays are designed with laminated and sealed edges, your homebrew ones will likely not.

As to the question of why nothing larger than 12x12 was offered - shipping is part of it for sure. Boxes larger than 12" square start to get REAL expensive to ship, and carriers are not always gentle. There is also the weight consideration, when these things are loaded up with Dwarvenite and rare earth magnets. 24x24" (4 square feet) of Dwarvenite weighs a significant amount and is in a damn unweildly to carry shape. That metal plate is going to bend in the middle unless it was made so thick you could barely carry it. I can't think of many things you couldn't just do with four 12x12s instead and have it easier to store and carry.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939