Magnets or No Magnets

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Magnets or No Magnets

Post by GODofwar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

.... Just an example being that in the Doomroller encounter as shown in the video, one of my players would never enter into that first hallway without having done all sorts of things to try to trigger the boulder first even though his "character" didn't see it.

To be fair, I don't really think either group is right or wrong, its just their particular play style and both groups are a lot of fun.
[/quote]

Hmmmph. Meta-gaming is ALWAYS wrong. In fact its a mortal sin in our games. People get ostracized.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5.
WeaselWarGod

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am

Rhizom wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am
Gargs454 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 pm
Travel to the game? Then the trays will help.
Hmm. Are you sure, the magnets are strong enough for your builds to survive travelling? I am not so sure.
Almost certainly it won't be foolproof. However, from the demonstrations they showed, the magnets did seem fairly strong, so I think it could at least help in keep it somewhat together. Now for me personally, I didn't quite magnetize everything, but I figured that if I could at least have much of it magnetized, it might help to speed things up a bit at the table. Of course, currently I only have to travel a couple of miles to my game (though that will change hopefully sometime next year).

But yeah, if I had a massive table at home, and always gamed at home, then I would likely not feel the need for the magnets. I also agree that I think a lot depends on who your gaming group is. I have two main groups that I game with. One is a group that absolutely follows the principle of "Well, my character only knows X,Y,Z." and would easily be able to deal with fog of war and even hand drawn maps already being fairly detailed. The other group has at least a couple of players who you would have to cover/hide/whatever just about everything for they will never separate player knowledge from character knowledge. Just an example being that in the Doomroller encounter as shown in the video, one of my players would never enter into that first hallway without having done all sorts of things to try to trigger the boulder first even though his "character" didn't see it.

To be fair, I don't really think either group is right or wrong, its just their particular play style and both groups are a lot of fun.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Finally went with no magnets, plus 6 sets of magnets. I'm going to see about some thin rubber gasket type things to hold them in. Nate's post was good guidance.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:32 pm

No magnets - easy call for me. I find them kind of annoying - things stick to them when I don't want them to, and nothing ever sticks as firmly as I need when I do want them to.

I want something that hews as closely as possible to old school DF.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Ah, I have a rack of those... They could work... I store paints and and stuff in mine at the moment. Was really wanting something I could carry several trays in one hand and my gaming bag (with laptop/books/dice..) in the other.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Oldent posted some picks of some plastic craft storage boxes, with an inside storage capacity of 12x12 and just over 2 inches tall. Just enough space to pack a terrain tray with a single level of built pieces on top. I now it's in one of these threads somewhere....

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I travel with my stuff... and thought it might be an interesting way to take things... So I ordered a few trays, and a couple of encounter areas (that make up a good selection of base pieces) with magnets to see if it was really applicable to me. My original plan was to get it all magnetized... but I hit my hard ceiling and "needed" a couple of other add-ons... so I cut the magnets from most of the sets to make up the difference.

To continue the discussion... I am not sure how to pack pre-built trays for travel... I need an easy way to carry them to and from the car. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe get a couple of those tall pizza delivery bags? (large enough to sit the trays flat and stack a few of them)...

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

The bridges are kind of a unique circumstance because of the shape, and balance issues involved when miniatures are placed on the unsupported end.

My plan is to do some very careful measuring and ask a friend with a 3D printer to create a curved piece to fit underneath the arch of the bridge, which should eliminate the balance issue. It probably won’t be completely clear, and may take some trial and error to get it right, but I think it is the simplest and least expensive solution.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:23 am

Oh, I like these responses. My current pledge has 4 dungeons with only 1 set that has magnets. I was thinking along these lines. So, I may stick with what I have and see how I like them on that set. I will rarely travel with this stuff. One of mine is the full Lava Bridge so that's what I'm "worried" about. However, that is the one that adds a lot for the mags.
Gargs454 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 pm
bernyleung wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:30 pm
Ask 12 different DF addicts on what their pledging priorities are, and you are likely to get 15 different answers!
Way too conservative a figure there. :)

Personally I think it depends on how you will be using it. If you are running games and always at your place with plenty of room on the table, then you might not need the trays. Travel to the game? Then the trays will help.

and...

agree it's a tough call. Just remember, unless you're at a DOD pledge it's not a matter of "all magnets" or "no magnets." "Some magnets and see how I like them" is an option.

If you're in for a DOD though yeah it's kinda all or nothing.

AstroCat
Goblin
Goblin

Post by AstroCat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

No magnets here, I use foamcore boards covered with the grippy rubbery material you use to keep stuff from moving on hardwood floors. Looks fine and grips good enough to keep stuff from moving around. Plus you can build the sections out ahead a time and switch them out as needed during the game.