Is my dungeon of doom here yet

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Is my dungeon of doom here yet

Post by William » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:15 am

Seattle, Add-Ons only. no trays, elev. boxes or bridge and nothing so far. :?:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Are other US customers still waiting too? I hear people in Europe waiting. I am in the US state of AZ and nothing so far

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 pm

oddbender wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:05 pm
geekjeff wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 am
I agree that communication could be improved for next time, and as always DF always welcomes feedback about how they might be able to improve things.
The thing is, it's not too late for this time. That's my feedback.
I fully agree. DF pushes too much off to later. Do it now!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm

A weekly update, even if it is a bit weak, would be greatly appreciated. May the "weakly" updates commence!

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:05 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 am
I agree that communication could be improved for next time, and as always DF always welcomes feedback about how they might be able to improve things.
The thing is, it's not too late for this time. That's my feedback.

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Law wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 pm
If you say at week 1, "things are shipping, we expect it all to ship by end of July" and then you have a problem, you have to go back and explain how that problem impacts your initial prediction.
This is the most important thing to take away from KS6 (and the fulfillment of KS5) re: official communications- knowing current status is all well and good, but it's far better to provide official info on how that impacts the initial predictions (even if that impact is just estimated). That'll certainly help cut down on the speculation, and the frustration/disappointment that can occur when that speculation turns out to be incorrect.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 pm

szabbran wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am

I would say too that having so many channels of communication (KS comments, KS updates, the forums, etc) also probably weakens the perception of DF comms overall. You all have been extremely responsive and informative, but sometimes I find if I'm not keeping tabs on all 3+ channels I'll miss something until it gets rolled up into an update from Nate, but at that point it may be a week or more longer than expected.
Excellent point!

I think the only communications that matter are official KS updates, circulated to backers. That way anyone who's backed gets the update. Honestly, does anything else make sense? Someone's given you money, they shouldn't have to hunt down information in the forums or combing through the KS comments. Send them an update, it's simple.

And I do appreciate the fact that an official KS update came out ten days ago, but, to be frank -- no, that's not often enough. The update was a little ambiguous on key issues, it started a rumor mill, and it provided no idea when more information would be coming. Sure, many people were fine and could be patient, others were mildly impatient but understanding, still others were annoyed. But absolutely NOBODY would be bothered by more communication, so the result is: there's no harm to weekly updates, and no benefit to waiting, and at least some people WILL be annoyed by the wait. So, yeah, when that's the math, ten days with no new updates is too long.

And, again, it seems sometimes that the people on the team don't realize that what you consider "no real information to give out" is often still valuable news to us.

"We're just shipping things out as fast as we can, there's nothing new to say" can be valuable information when you reveal "this is how many packages we're shipping a day, this is about how many we have to ship"

"We don't know when the next container will get here" can be valuable information just by revealing "Sorry, we can't say when the next container will get here because we don't know"

As we saw recently "There's too much stuff on the container to list it all, it would take forever" can be valuable information when you reveal "it definitely doesn't have the elevation trays, it does have a lot of add-ons but we're not sure if it has all of them, it may be missing a few even on top of the elevation tray" or "it is only encounters" or even "we're not sure what is on it, it may be only encounters or only add ons or a mix of both, but it's not absolutely everything."

And certainly when things like "oops, the elevation trays are taking awhile" or "oops, the lava bridge is taking awhile" come up, that needs to be squared with earlier statements. If you say at week 1, "things are shipping, we expect it all to ship by end of July" and then you have a problem, you have to go back and explain how that problem impacts your initial prediction.

Finally, remember it's not a choice between "rampant speculation" and "certain prediction." Of course we understand that nobody wants to promise "delivery by the end of July!" when you can't know that. But when you explain the factors and concerns and issues and goals, it should be clear that you're not guaranteeing anything but you ARE giving us information that helps us know what's going on. "This will cause a delay, we don't know how long, we hope it will be a month, but it could go longer, we hope to know more in 3 weeks." That's fine. It's better than total silence.

That would be my attempt at constructive advice for KS6 -- hope it comes off as helpful for people and not just whining!

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey Geekjeff, thank you for the help.

I am from Europe, and would like to have a better idea of the period when I will receive the first shipment.

In the last update, Nate said that the EU pledges "have left the factory (please keep in mind that this is about a 5 week journey)".
Did they leave on 4th, the date of the update, or had already left earlier?
If they left on the 4th, that would make the arrival in Germany on about the 8th of August.
Plus there is (I suppose) time in customs, shipping out, and the time from Germany to me (Italy).

It would seem that the projected date for this first batch would be mid-August?
But, do couriers even work in August? I deal with them for my work, and most firms I work with gave "last shipping dates" at the end of July, because in August couriers are on shutdown.

Mind it, it doesn't really change much to me when I'll receive the items, so this isn't a request to "hurry up".
It's just that in some periods of August I will be away for summer holidays; let's say I am in Spain, and receive an email that the courier just attempted a delivery and I have to contact them in 3 days to receive it, what would I do?

So I'd like to know when to expect the delivery to organize with someone to receive it, if it's in August.
At this point, it would maybe be better if they move the delivery to the end of August or even early September, to be safe, and avoid problems with the delivery firms.

Thank you very much!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Seraphis the Bland wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks, SirGeekJeff, I'm actually fine with delay, and I trust that DF sees Kickstarter as a part of their business plan, so they want to do them well. It's just the last update didn't really update. Will people who are waiting for the bridge or elevation tray pieces (that may need re-casting or something) receive a third package? or will all pieces be held for a total of two packages? That's all I'm looking for! I only have so much time off of work so I have to plan these things. In my business they start asking if you want time off for Christmas in July (not a joke), so it takes some wiggling to be here to sign for the package.
I did get confirmation, hopefully this helps with your time off planning - as the current plan stands, shipments are not being held up for Elevation Boxes (and related Encounters) to arrive. Anything with an Elevation Box will go out in a 3rd wave of shipping.

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am

Yeah I am with Seraph on this. I think that generally DF comms have been pretty frequent and helpful for this KS, its just that the most recent updates introduced some uncertainty that may not have been intended. The update on the delay, reasons for it, and status of the containers all made sense. However, based on the earlier change to ship encounters 1-6 then the remaining encounters/add-ons as available, backers now do not know if remaining items things will be shipped in multiple increments, or held until the full remainder of their order arrives. DF may already have a plan for this that just got lost in translation, or may still be sorting out the logistics. In either case, I think getting some clarity on that prior to KS6 launch when things get even crazier would go a long way towards alleviating concerns.

I would say too that having so many channels of communication (KS comments, KS updates, the forums, etc) also probably weakens the perception of DF comms overall. You all have been extremely responsive and informative, but sometimes I find if I'm not keeping tabs on all 3+ channels I'll miss something until it gets rolled up into an update from Nate, but at that point it may be a week or more longer than expected.

Hope this helps! I know it's a complicated effort, and appreciate you all popping in to acknowledge the concerns.