Help with Paints Needed for KS5

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Help with Paints Needed for KS5

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am

To match my painted sets, I used a mix of olive dry brush and stone edge dry brush; the factory didn't ever use the base gray. I used earth stone to pick out the individual stones.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am

I don't think we have anything official yet, but it's likely to be the standard Dungeon quartet - Base Gray, Earth Stone, Olive Dry Brush, Stone Edge Dry Brush - plus Deep Lava for the pillars.

For the traps and accents that you'll need a lot of colors for but only in tiny amounts and particularly for the metallic bits, you're probably better off buying small bottles of high quality miniatures paints like Reaper, Vallejo, or Games Workshop. Metallics are tricky beasts, and nobody is likely to need an 8 oz Pokorny-sized bottle of gold paint. =P

Paint catalogue is here:
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collections/paint-brushes

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 am

Appreciate the responses, but I'm still wondering if anyone knows the base paint colors needed to paint these to match the KS1 tiles? Is there a catalogue for Pokorny Paints? Has Stephan ever stated what color paints are needed?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 am

Pokorny paints are artist's acrylic. Factory paint is enamel-based. There's already a difference right there.
Stefan himself has said many, many times, they try to match the paint schemes between KS's, but it's not an exact science. They are done by eyeballing, and lighting conditions may differ greatly.

You will likely need to do a basecoat. I am assuming that the base Dwarvenite colour for KS5 will more closely match that of KS1 and KS2. Go ahead and watch the original painting vids for KS1. You will probably only need a few base colours with very little mixing to replicate the general colour scheme of KS1.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 pm

I do too
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm
The big question unfortunately is what color the base "grey" dwarvenite will be this time. Personally I do not really noticed but some do.

You may need a base coat. Any word from DF on base color this time around?
I really hope it matches KS1 tiles, please lord I hope KS5 unpainted matches KS1.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm

The big question unfortunately is what color the base "grey" dwarvenite will be this time. Personally I do not really noticed but some do.

You may need a base coat. Any word from DF on base color this time around?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Help with Paints Needed for KS5

Post by Arbados » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 pm

With my KS5 pledge I went completely unpainted. This was the first time I've bought the tiles unpainted, but it was the only way I could get just about everything I wanted. Now, I'm not disappointed at getting the tiles unpainted and am rather excited to try and paint them. I love to paint terrain and have been doing this for many years, so painting is not the problem. However, I've never painted any DF stuff.

My goal in painting most of these tiles (walls and floors for sure) are for them to match my DF1 wall and floor tiles in color. I'm hoping that someone could give me an idea of what colors are needed to have these new DF5 tiles match my DF1 set. I'd want to get the Pokorny paints as I'm sure this is what would match perfectly with the previous set.

I listed below what I ordered to help in giving me an idea of how much paint I would need as well as what colors. I really do appreciate the help. I want to get the paints now so that when the tiles arrive I can start painting immediately.

Dungeon Level I - 1x 
Encounter Area 13: Lava Bridge Complete (Parts 1-3) - 1x 
Puzzle Floor Tiles - 4x 
Walls & Pillars - 2x 
Fire Ant Nest - 1x 
Angled Ledges - 1x 
Ledges - 1x 
Elevation Mega Pack - 1x 
Large Curved Daises - 2x 
Curved Daises - 2x 
Wall of Force - 1x 
Cages - 4x