Price in the webstore

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Price in the webstore

Post by Law » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah, I sympathize with them as people. I wonder about the mechanics of it all - could the timing be fixed? Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is such that it makes sense to coincide the launch of one KS with the arrival of another one - the hype is all there and the excitement over new goodies puts the customer base in the mood to order the next set. But it also puts DF in a crazy busy place. And ofc they spend the "down time" working hard at getting the next KS designed, planned, samples executed, and all the campaign details (photos, videos, strategies) ironed out. It's a ton of work.

Maybe they need new employees! Will work for free Dwarvenite!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 am

I can certainly understand that thinking. I can talk myself into and out of things pretty easily. With KSV, I just do not know what I will buy but I would prefer to see things sooner rather than in September, when I am thinking it will show up now.

I do know with shipping to Japan, I need a big order to make it really worth it, or a small order with low shipping sometimes works too. Medium is not an option really.

DF just has too much on their plate right now and will for the next two months minimum. I can understand why they cannot do retail faster.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:21 am

I do wish they'd stock KS5 in the store without waiting for the elevation tray, if that's really the issue. I can understand being reluctant - it's cleaner to just wait and list it all, so you don't have an overlap between running the new KS, shipping existing orders AND taking new orders. But that said, it's an extra delay of at least a few weeks, and could be a month, to be able to get more DoD, all held up by one item.

Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but I tend to confine my DF spending to two times: backing the KS, and supplementing my sets with store purchases around the time the KS ships. After that, I tend to lie low for a bit, saving up for the next one. NOW is when I'm psyched for more DoD, when I'd consider grabbing a spare Acid Bath or some ledges and lava terrain trays. If I wait a month or two, I may just feel like, eh, I've had my fun and spent a ton. I don't want to drop another $200 right now. I can live without it. (case in point: if I'd been able to get Catacombs when they first showed up, I'd have ordered 3. But they were out of stock for over a year. I picked up one set on eBay. By the time they were in stock again, I decided I could live with just one set.)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 am

It would seem to be so. I do beleive they are letting the KSes get too big and complicated.

They seem to have different groups running the Ks/creative half and the factory/fulfillment half anyway.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:13 am

I just wish DF could control the scope so that fulfillment could be within a year.

They claim they need the bigger KS's to support themselves but if it takes 18months to get it done wouldn't they be better off with 2/3 the volume on an annual basis?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

DevGuy
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DevGuy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 am
DevGuy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 am
What/where are the issues being reported with the DoD? Thanks.
Most so far are in this thread we think :)

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9167
Thank you.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

DF does appear to have been concerned about warping on a number of pieces; they even posted shots of cages cooling in racks... maybe they missed a piece or two that needed it. I'll be on the lookout when I receive mine...

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 am
I agree that designing around manufacturing limitations is something DF should be doing.
It might be a case of limitations that are too costly to address. For example, one way to fix the corner warpage issue might be that when a piece comes out of the mold, it's put in a jig that it stays in through the cooling bath process until it take a final set. That would make it perfectly square, BUT...

1) Now you have to manufacture jigs for the pieces (added $$$)
2) Now you have to pay somebody to put the pieces in the jigs between the mold and the bath (added $$$)
3) You can't really know in advance which pieces might have geometry issues, so you have to make a limited run of all pieces and check them, then determine where you need jigs. (added $$$)

So you go from a retail price of say $4 for a single piece to $5, to fix slight square or gap issues that most customers will accept (though maybe with a little grumble). DF is already considered "premium" terrain, and many of their customers are at the limit of what they can afford to pay for such items. As such the pricing is fairly inelastic; many people that stretch their gaming allowance for a "very nice" $400 set might have to find other options instead of buying a "perfect" set for $500 that has the same profit. If you sell 1000 sets of $400 at a profit of $150, you are doing better than selling 800 sets at $500 that also has a profit of $150, even at $175 profit the lower sales volume costs you money.

It's just a numbers game...getting the maximum rate of acceptance for the minimum cost, or at least the best balance of the two.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 am

Law wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am
I also admit I'm in crabby mode. In the span of about a week: everyone is getting their DoD but me, the full DoD is delayed, there are QC issues. It is just a bit much. And Tbf I'd probably be less harsh on QC and delays if I HAD MY FIRST SHIPMENT YET. ;)
Definitely getting that crabby vibe ;)

Which was a little bit of a shock as we remember your total enthusiasm in your Castle build posts, they helped us get through a month of having to wait to get ours. You even showed how castle crenellations were a must have for bridges, we had passed on those as could not see a use as we preferred KSIII crenellations.

We absolutely feel your pain, but we are very confident that you will be a very happy bunny when you get your new shiney (if not entirely dry brushed) Dwarvenite.

#StayStrong

It would be easy to say we cant wait for you to get your DoD if it stops the venting posts, but in fact we want ypou to get it to see what you build with it and expecting some Killer Combo builds with other DF Kickstarters :)

#NoPressure
dice4hire wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 am
I agree that designing around manufacturing limitations is something DF should be doing.
So Totally agree
+51 (been a busy spring in the warren ;))
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 am