First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Is there baked in stuff or is it all surface glitter?

I thought it was all going to be in the plastic.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm
Public Service Announcement: as soon as you get your Walls of Force, sequester them immediately in a plastic bag or something so the glitter doesn’t get all over everything. I’m so not kidding... My wife accused me of going to a strip club... :oops:
Is there a way to preserve their glittery nature while preventing glitterpocalypse? Would a quick rinse remove loose glitter and leave the "baked in" stuff? Or maybe a matte sealant over the whole thing?

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Public Service Announcement: as soon as you get your Walls of Force, sequester them immediately in a plastic bag or something so the glitter doesn’t get all over everything. I’m so not kidding... My wife accused me of going to a strip club... :oops:

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Thunder wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm

The arches being darker seems to be so consistent I have to believe it's a feature and not a mistake.
The arches were painted black with a lighter dry brushing. I believe that the problem is that the dry brushing was missed on some of the arches.

Thunder wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm
I only had two missing items in all my boxes, both the shelves (I think that's what they are) from Zaltar's and the both single square pillars from Acid.
Those are weapon racks. It might be kind of hard to identify them in the pictures on the box.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Makes sense ForestZ...neither DF nor the customers are running a charity. I certainly think that problems that exist should be mentioned. Otherwise there will never be improvement. As long as we don't expect all problems to get fixed and our sets to be perfect, I think we can all find a middle ground we can live with.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread. My point is only that if you see a problem and you don't say anything about it (and a side comment on the forum doesn't *really* count for that), then it probably won't get fixed (and by this I don't mean that individual issue, I mean as a whole, going forward). And I only say this because Talistran said:

"Like most of the minor problems, I have learned to just not use them and don't want DF to suffer because of it. If we all returned them, that would be a major hit. I just hope (again and again and again) that they'll do something about corners like these since the problem isn't exactly new." (emphasis mine)

And to me that seems naive. If it's a true problem (and to me it seems it is if he is literally not using pieces he paid for), then you need to tell them that these pieces are useless to you (if that's truly how you feel) or they won't fix it.

It's likely that we all love DF (both product and company) and none of us wants to harm them. But this isn't a charity. We *do* pay a lot of money for a "premium" product. It's not cynical to provide feedback when you think something is wrong. It is, however, naive to expect it to be fixed if no one actually complains.

Anyways, I'm done with this line of thought (not because I don't feel it's a worthwhile discussion or I don't think everyone's thoughts on it are valuable, but merely because I think I've said all I can and don't want to keep driving this thread negatively).

I'm still super looking forward to my new pieces. :)

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am
Ok this is cynical.
It's not cynical, it's business. We have a tendency to think of this as a hobby and a passion. And I'm sure that to some extent that is true of the DF folks. But for them it is also a business; It's how they pay their rent and feed their families.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am

Sounds more like trying to stay profitable to me. DF can only fix so many issues before they go belly up, so knowing which are big enough is a big deal.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am

ForestZ wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm
I do hope DF is not that cynical about the bottom line.
They don't even have to be cynical. There's no nefariousness needed. I'm sure it's something they would like to fix. It may even be on a list somewhere. My point is, until it's affecting profit, we can't expect it to have any urgency. I'm not saying it's not priority one for them right now..I have no idea how they run shop, I'm just saying that expecting them to fix problems when people are willing to just sit on them and not actually make a stink is kind of naive.
Ok this is cynical.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 pm

I agree with much of what has been said. But I want to throw my 2 cents in anyways:

The boxes earlier this evening, so have not had time to play around much with the new stuff.

I love the new passageways, great job! It's now super easy to make a one square wide hallway. The metal bases seem much sturdier that I expected and the magnets stick to them.

The corner doors and curved pieces seem to fit together well, snug in fact - another great job.

The arches being darker seems to be so consistent I have to believe it's a feature and not a mistake.

Yeah, the only piece so far I am not thrilled about is those darn inside free standing corners, not only are all mine warped - they are also about an 1/8" shorter than the other tiles.

I also wish the magnets were all orientated the same way, some of my tiles won't stack because the polarity is in opposition. This is a pretty minor thing though really.

The acid tray is ok, but I prefer my home made trays. Sheet metal in 1' squares, primed then lightly covered front and back with sprayable Truck Bed Liner. These things work great - really great. Both magnets and Blu Tac sticks to them and the surface is really durable.

I only had two missing items in all my boxes, both the shelves (I think that's what they are) from Zaltar's and the both single square pillars from Acid.

Overall I am very impressed by these sets, the painting seems to have improved a lot and is more consistent. The sizes and tolerances also seem to be a lot more consistent. I am a happy dude.

Peace