First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm
Ok, it doesn't sound like anyone else is having the same problem with the Large Curved Wall and it's insert. Maybe I am not fitting them in correctly or something or maybe I should try Oldent's suggestion. Going to pick up some Stone Drybrush paint to to fix all those arches.
Yah, I am going to do the same. Maybe they can just send some with our second shipments ;)

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Foxwander wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am
Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am
So far, the corners being distorted, AGAIN, is the only thing that isnt fixable IMO. I guess ill have to buy some of the paint for drybrushing. Sad i will have to buy paint to fix my factory paint. ;)
I Want to qualify by opinion by stating I have not seen the problem yet.
I do not think it is unfixable. Try a block,a clamp and hot water to square it back up.

The PVC is produced in a ridgid mold. It is hot and flexible when it comes out.Like the packman part, it distorted in the water/cooling bath because there is no floor/wall to help keep it square. Warm it back up in hot water. Then square it up and recool it.

I always get unpainted. I expect to work on the parts. I always have to. The L shaped part my require a jig. I will see.Then I will make a photo.
Thanks for mentioning this Oldent!

They are quite fixable. I made a jig out of Lego- easily available, waterproof, and true 90 degree corners. Five bricks tall is exactly the right height for the passage corner pieces. The corners from my wife's Acid Bath set were only slightly out of true, but I got them all fixed in about 10 minutes.

Step 1) Heat water. Get it hot but not boiling so you can't hurt yourself. Mine came from a 1-cup heater for tea.
Step 2) Hold passage wall by metal tab and dip in hot water for 30 seconds.
Step 3) Press against Lego jig and dip in ice water for 1 minute- until all heat is gone from the piece.
Step 4) Grab top of passage wall and flex slightly beyond 90 degrees for a few seconds. This keeps them at 90 degrees once they've sat at room temperature for a while.

I'm sorry that any of you have walls that need to be fixed at all. I wish we could have every piece perfect. But give this a try and see if it works for you.
Perhaps a video or picture tutorial is in order. Even typing that saddens me though.

In the past when I have attempted such things, they always revert back. And to be honest, I barely have time to game, let alone make / modify my terrain; it is the reason I spend thousands on DF.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm
From a storage standpoint, the metal tabbed walls do stack very tightly together. That will be a plus.
Yes, they do stack well. AND they come like 6 or 7 in each plastic bag, so a lot less unpacking and waste of plastic :)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm

I like the half squares as it allows me to have a larger dungeon "Half squares are full squares" or tighter "Half squares do not exist"

I got only one of the passageway sets, the flat on both sides one, and I found them largely useless in my builds as they were only good for passages between room which meant a lot of "white space" between rooms, where I prefer to use both sides of my walls and have a much tighter build. I rarely use that one set of passageways. Perhaps if I bought more of the old passageway sets I would use them more, but with the fit problems I have heard of, I am hesitant to get more.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Since a lot of my players like to try to get away with using longspears in cramped quarters for reach, having tighter actual passages make some of the things they try to do, easier to point out won't work. Again, all our mileages may vary as we play with this new design/concept. So far I am very hopeful.

From a storage standpoint, the metal tabbed walls do stack very tightly together. That will be a plus.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm
Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 am
zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am
My corner inserts were snug, but they fit better with repeated insertion, so I suspect that some of the tightness might have been paint thickness, and once you abrade that a little bit the fit was better.

I actually like the tabbed walls for hallways and corners since you end up with an exactly 10ft wide passage that makes RPG minis fit easier. than the ones with only a partial square available. I would guess a lot of the feelings on these designs will depend on exactly how one intends to actually use the stuff. For gaming, having a super fit is not that critical, for making a display or building something cool, it is far more important.
That seems counterintuitive to me. I like the extra space on the side that the regular tiles have because it is easier to fit minis on the middle squares without bumping into the wall and furniture. The passageways changes to two full squares, making a hallway 10ft wide and weapons sticking into walls again
With my groups, they always want to have the small members be able to fit into partial squares (or hexes) arguing with some reasonableness that they are small and should fit. I just think having only two full squares in the passage will make it easier to adjudicate. Time will tell. While we are playing this weekend, not sure they will have any reason to get inside a structure this session.
I just tell them that the 1/2" square is there to make everything fit better (like miniatures and shelves) and that if they cannot use their imagination to allow this function to exist, they should probably not be playing an RPG ;)

To be honest, in the last two decades of gaming, the 1/2" square helps us with placement EVERY session and I've had to have a conversation about it twice. And those conversations were really short, "Nah, that space just helps us keep miniatures on the board easier, your characters can't fit in there or interact with it in any way." Pretty simple :)

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 pm
Looks good but I also got all painted this time around. The idea that I will need to "touch' them up does not make me a happy camper. That is why I payed to extra money for I lack the time right now to paint stuff :|
I think there are obviously problems with my set and the paint job. But, looking at the pictures I posted... I think it looks great and will happily game on it. For as much as I posted about little things being "wrong"... there is SO MUCH RIGHT about KS5. :)

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm
My sets came today! I actually really like the passage walls, although I was skeptical originally. My group has been complaining for a while now about half squares,etc. The passage pieces seem to hold together really well with the new metal bottoms and magnet pieces, and stack real easy for storage.
There has been a historical divide between those who like the extra 1/2" near walls and corners and those who want the 1" square to go all the way to the wall.

The argument FOR the 1/2" space is that it is MUCH easier to fit dynamic miniatures that push past the 1" base (nearly every miniature), along with leaving space for shelves, wall decor, etc without taking up the playable space. The 1/2" of space is treated as if it does not exist for the purpose of miniature placement. But because of the extra space, miniatures can always be put on the board in the direction they are supposed to be facing without difficulty.

The other side argues that they cannot use their imagination and have to fill that 1/2" square with something, so miniatures should be able to squeeze in there. haha, I'm teasing. But I have heard that basic argument a lot.

I am all for the half-squares being on the side as it makes placement of miniatures and terrain SO much easier. Thus, I dislike the passages. Obviously, you and your group will like them. But my question is, "will you be ok transferring back and forth between the traditional tile and the new passageway floors with no space?" The transition seems awkward.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Looks good but I also got all painted this time around. The idea that I will need to "touch' them up does not make me a happy camper. That is why I payed to extra money for I lack the time right now to paint stuff :|

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

My sets came today! I actually really like the passage walls, although I was skeptical originally. My group has been complaining for a while now about half squares,etc. The passage pieces seem to hold together really well with the new metal bottoms and magnet pieces, and stack real easy for storage.