First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by ForestZ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm
I do hope DF is not that cynical about the bottom line.
They don't even have to be cynical. There's no nefariousness needed. I'm sure it's something they would like to fix. It may even be on a list somewhere. My point is, until it's affecting profit, we can't expect it to have any urgency. I'm not saying it's not priority one for them right now..I have no idea how they run shop, I'm just saying that expecting them to fix problems when people are willing to just sit on them and not actually make a stink is kind of naive.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I do hope DF is not that cynical about the bottom line.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Like most of the minor problems, I have learned to just not use them and don't want DF to suffer because of it. If we all returned them, that would be a major hit. I just hope (again and again and again) that they'll do something about corners like these since the problem isn't exactly new.
From a business perspective, they have almost zero incentive to actually make changes if their bottom line isn't being affected. I know there are other concerns, and everyone at DF wants to make the best product possible and they listen to feedback, etc... but I'm just saying, from a numbers game perspective, if they ship them out and none of them come back, I don't see how they will ever take the problem seriously.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 am

Archimagus wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 am
Tal,

How does the paintjob match with KS1? My KS1 pieces look like they were drybrushed with Cavern Dry Brush rather than Stone Edge and were very dark. I am thinking of touching them up and getting them to match the KS5 pieces.
The bricks in the wall are VERY close; the floors a bit less so, but there seems to be more variation in the paint job of KS5 floors than KS1 floors had, so maybe I should try them next to more pieces. Overall, I was plenty happy with how they looked together in the brief/small layout I did with them both as I was inventorying my encounters 1-6.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 am

Archimagus wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 am
Tal,

How does the paintjob match with KS1? My KS1 pieces look like they were drybrushed with Cavern Dry Brush rather than Stone Edge and were very dark. I am thinking of touching them up and getting them to match the KS5 pieces.
I was stupid and bought unpainted for KS1. So... I don't know :)

My KS1 tiles were still unpainted and mostly sold. I have a few sets (unpainted) left for sale and will just be using KS5.

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 am

Tal,

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 am

Tal,

Thanks for the pictures (my DOD is unpainted, so it will help paint mine). Also, I appreciate the honest commentary. I prefer both the good and the bad. I love my DF but honest feedback is how they get better and correct the product.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Yup, overall I am pleased with the 333 pieces (oops 332 I had one missing magnetic crossbow trap) in the first installment of KSV. The few "black" headers should be easily fixed (if needed) with a quick dry brush (and one bottle of that from DF goes a LONG way...)

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm
Thanks for the report, Talistran! And I REALLY like your non-encounter build, saw it on Facebook and commented there too.
Glad you enjoyed it... they are a ton of fun to play with and are amazing overall.
geekjeff wrote:
Your freestanding walls do look a little bit off, but hopefully this is an somewhat isolated issue. I've seen some other pics of backers' Encounter 3 on social media where they looked OK, and one instance where 3 of them looked square and 1 looked a little off. We'll have to keep an eye on those.
All 8 of mine are that way. I've tried fixing them in the past and they always revert back.
geekjeff wrote:
... if you think they'll cause you substantial build problems you should bring it up with customer service (but if possible, wait until your full pledge has arrived to just make one replacement request.)
Like most of the minor problems, I have learned to just not use them and don't want DF to suffer because of it. If we all returned them, that would be a major hit. I just hope (again and again and again) that they'll do something about corners like these since the problem isn't exactly new.
geekjeff wrote:
The paint jobs on a few of your Encounter 3 pieces do look kinda rough. :? Your other encounters look pretty good though! And combined in your Maze & Throne Room build they look cohesive.
Yah, I'm really pleased with the overall look. They are really pretty :)

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm
Ok, it doesn't sound like anyone else is having the same problem with the Large Curved Wall and it's insert. Maybe I am not fitting them in correctly or something or maybe I should try Oldent's suggestion. Going to pick up some Stone Drybrush paint to to fix all those arches.
Yah, I am going to do the same. Maybe they can just send some with our second shipments ;)