First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for the pictures and the great reviews. It will be interesting to see if these problems are endemic or isolated instances. Unfortunately I would guess the former.

DF is just biting off too much IMHO. It is great 95% of the pieces are great, but I am sure everyone wants 100%.

I am getting unpainted so the painted problems do not worry me, but I understand painted people getting upset. Having to paint painted is not what should be happening.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 am
zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am
My corner inserts were snug, but they fit better with repeated insertion, so I suspect that some of the tightness might have been paint thickness, and once you abrade that a little bit the fit was better.

I actually like the tabbed walls for hallways and corners since you end up with an exactly 10ft wide passage that makes RPG minis fit easier. than the ones with only a partial square available. I would guess a lot of the feelings on these designs will depend on exactly how one intends to actually use the stuff. For gaming, having a super fit is not that critical, for making a display or building something cool, it is far more important.
That seems counterintuitive to me. I like the extra space on the side that the regular tiles have because it is easier to fit minis on the middle squares without bumping into the wall and furniture. The passageways changes to two full squares, making a hallway 10ft wide and weapons sticking into walls again
With my groups, they always want to have the small members be able to fit into partial squares (or hexes) arguing with some reasonableness that they are small and should fit. I just think having only two full squares in the passage will make it easier to adjudicate. Time will tell. While we are playing this weekend, not sure they will have any reason to get inside a structure this session.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Ok, it doesn't sound like anyone else is having the same problem with the Large Curved Wall and it's insert. Maybe I am not fitting them in correctly or something or maybe I should try Oldent's suggestion. Going to pick up some Stone Drybrush paint to to fix all those arches.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks for the report, Talistran! And I REALLY like your non-encounter build, saw it on Facebook and commented there too.

Your freestanding walls do look a little bit off, but hopefully this is an somewhat isolated issue. I've seen some other pics of backers' Encounter 3 on social media where they looked OK, and one instance where 3 of them looked square and 1 looked a little off. We'll have to keep an eye on those.

You may be able to square them up as Oldent suggests if you're game for trying, or if not and you think they'll cause you substantial build problems you should bring it up with customer service (but if possible, wait until your full pledge has arrived to just make one replacement request.)

The paint jobs on a few of your Encounter 3 pieces do look kinda rough. :? Your other encounters look pretty good though! And combined in your Maze & Throne Room build they look cohesive.

I think those tabbed magnetic walls straight up arrived damaged, if you think the metal tabs were weakened by flexing them back into shape then for sure include them in your replacement request.

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you for the honest impressions.

Quite interesting (and a little disconcerting) to see such a significant difference between what you have unboxed and what Nate unboxed in his video about three weeks ago. It makes me a little more anxious about what will eventually arrive at my door.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 am

zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am
My corner inserts were snug, but they fit better with repeated insertion, so I suspect that some of the tightness might have been paint thickness, and once you abrade that a little bit the fit was better.

I actually like the tabbed walls for hallways and corners since you end up with an exactly 10ft wide passage that makes RPG minis fit easier. than the ones with only a partial square available. I would guess a lot of the feelings on these designs will depend on exactly how one intends to actually use the stuff. For gaming, having a super fit is not that critical, for making a display or building something cool, it is far more important.
That seems counterintuitive to me. I like the extra space on the side that the regular tiles have because it is easier to fit minis on the middle squares without bumping into the wall and furniture. The passageways changes to two full squares, making a hallway 10ft wide and weapons sticking into walls again

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am

Law wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 am
That's a good point. I always think of these as display pieces (for gaming you can just use a paper and pen, right?). But that's just one way to do it.

Could a little exacto knife shaving help with the fit, do you think?
I do not like to cut the plastic. Sometimes it may prove necessary.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am

Talistran wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am
Harneloot wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

Questions for Talistran: how well did the wall inserts fit in your large curved wall pieces? Mine did not fit in well AT ALL and bowed out the wall on either side of it when inserted - they were totally obvious that they were there. It actually made me wish they made some large curved wall pieces without the removable piece just so I could actually have usable pieces to make curved rooms as mine don't seem usable at all with the inserts in :(
Mine were VERY snug, but i didnt notice a problem with disforming wall. But ill pay attention later.

So far, the corners being distorted, AGAIN, is the only thing that isnt fixable IMO. I guess ill have to buy some of the paint for drybrushing. Sad i will have to buy paint to fix my factory paint. ;)
I Want to qualify by opinion by stating I have not seen the problem yet.
I do not think it is unfixable. Try a block,a clamp and hot water to square it back up.

The PVC is produced in a ridgid mold. It is hot and flexible when it comes out.Like the packman part, it distorted in the water/cooling bath because there is no floor/wall to help keep it square. Warm it back up in hot water. Then square it up and recool it.

I always get unpainted. I expect to work on the parts. I always have to. The L shaped part my require a jig. I will see.Then I will make a photo.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 am

That's a good point. I always think of these as display pieces (for gaming you can just use a paper and pen, right?). But that's just one way to do it.

Could a little exacto knife shaving help with the fit, do you think?

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am