First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

zenako
Orc
Orc

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

My corner inserts were snug, but they fit better with repeated insertion, so I suspect that some of the tightness might have been paint thickness, and once you abrade that a little bit the fit was better.

I actually like the tabbed walls for hallways and corners since you end up with an exactly 10ft wide passage that makes RPG minis fit easier. than the ones with only a partial square available. I would guess a lot of the feelings on these designs will depend on exactly how one intends to actually use the stuff. For gaming, having a super fit is not that critical, for making a display or building something cool, it is far more important.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am

Harneloot wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

Questions for Talistran: how well did the wall inserts fit in your large curved wall pieces? Mine did not fit in well AT ALL and bowed out the wall on either side of it when inserted - they were totally obvious that they were there. It actually made me wish they made some large curved wall pieces without the removable piece just so I could actually have usable pieces to make curved rooms as mine don't seem usable at all with the inserts in :(
Mine were VERY snug, but i didnt notice a problem with disforming wall. But ill pay attention later.

So far, the corners being distorted, AGAIN, is the only thing that isnt fixable IMO. I guess ill have to buy some of the paint for drybrushing. Sad i will have to buy paint to fix my factory paint. ;)

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for the in depth review with pictures Talistran.

Many of my arches - not just the ones with moveable wall piece - are VERY black. Likely zero drybrush there. Overall I would say this is the worst painted KS yet.

I was missing both ramps from my Encounter 6.

I also noticed that the tabbed hallways seemed VERY fiddly...two of my tabs were bent too. Another thing I noticed was that the magnets were very small and not super strong. Stuff attaches to the magnetic walls and stays, but its not a real tight/strong grab by any means.

Questions for Talistran: how well did the wall inserts fit in your large curved wall pieces? Mine did not fit in well AT ALL and bowed out the wall on either side of it when inserted - they were totally obvious that they were there. It actually made me wish they made some large curved wall pieces without the removable piece just so I could actually have usable pieces to make curved rooms as mine don't seem usable at all with the inserts in :(

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 am

Law wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 am
Also, yeah, those arch doors look like they didn't get a coat of drybrushing at ALL.

I have to say, the QC on this is unbelievably disappointing. Almost every area took a meaningful hit.

Did the freestanding walls work as well as we hoped? Not really.

Did the metal tab passageway pieces work as well as we'd hoped? Not really.

Did the terrain tray work as well as we'd hoped? Not really.

Was the paint job as good as we hoped? Not really.

Did they at least deliver all the various bits and bobs in this complex system? Not really. (I'd be super bummed to find that the manacles and swinging blades etc. didn't make it!)

Lots of things to improve, DF! We're counting on you!
Swinging blades are cool and work well.

Another backer got all of his Encounter 5, so i think i just got unlucky with a few missing pieces

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 am

Also, yeah, those arch doors look like they didn't get a coat of drybrushing at ALL.

I have to say, the QC on this is unbelievably disappointing. Almost every area took a meaningful hit.

Did the freestanding walls work as well as we hoped? Not really.

Did the metal tab passageway pieces work as well as we'd hoped? Not really.

Did the terrain tray work as well as we'd hoped? Not really.

Was the paint job as good as we hoped? Not really.

Did they at least deliver all the various bits and bobs in this complex system? Not really. (I'd be super bummed to find that the manacles and swinging blades etc. didn't make it!)

Lots of things to improve, DF! We're counting on you!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 am

I also agree about the paint job in Lever Chamber. On some of those pieces, the factory just slapped off-white paint on the columns, so rather than looking like weathering it just obscures the underlying color and looks sloppy and ugly. If I get pieces Iike that I'll be inclined to return them. I was hoping DoD would be the kind of leap forward that would make the resin sets a little easier to part with. But not with paint jobs like that. DF has to stand for better than that.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 am

Has anyone checked how many degrees there are in a Chinese circle ?

We mean if they have 368 that could explain the pacman and corner issues DF are getting.

Thanks for the pictures and review Talistran :)
zenako wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 pm
Encounter 5 with all the pieces...(not that much different). All my pieces are now stacked up with the thought of how to make something different with them beyond the prearranged configurations.

Encounter 5a.jpg
zenako you might want to get in touch with DF customer Service - seems like they have a new scale problem!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 am

Law wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 am
Thanks for the honest feedback. I know we all love DF around here, but I appreciate the warts-n-all insights. I had reservations about those passage walls, I passed up most encounters that relied on them. Seems my misgivings were well-founded. :/

Always a shame to see where things aren't quite as perfect as we'd hoped. But I do think it looks good overall.
I agree, i love these pieces and love DF.

I think some people will love passageways. With a little work, and careful storage, the walls will end up straight. It is just the corners that are problematic beyond (IMO) repair like the pacman pieces

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 am

Thanks for the honest feedback. I know we all love DF around here, but I appreciate the warts-n-all insights. I had reservations about those passage walls, I passed up most encounters that relied on them. Seems my misgivings were well-founded. :/

Always a shame to see where things aren't quite as perfect as we'd hoped. But I do think it looks good overall.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks for posting the pics.

Wow, those corners are really off. (Looks like the corner piece can join ranks with the pacman tower floor.)

Where was the QA/QC on this piece?