First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by pacarat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 am
I think the colored cavern picture was done by lostpic here on the forum. I could be wrong though. I still have that pic as my background. I love looking at it!
iPaint did that...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:23 am

Nah!

Where is the fun in following instructions, you want those xtra bits left over leaving you wondering what is about to collapse.

Fully intend to unpack and give to my daughter and see what she conjures as I feed her the lava bridge piece by piece. 3D minecraft she will love it :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 am

I think the colored cavern picture was done by lostpic here on the forum. I could be wrong though. I still have that pic as my background. I love looking at it!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

DullandRusty
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DullandRusty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 am

astolat wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm
I do notice that the big blade trap has a little trouble hanging on to the magnetic passage wall, feels like the magnet on that one needed to be a bit bigger. It will stay but not if you swing the blade (and obviously you have to swing the blade back and forth ten times in a row, it's a rule).
I had the same problem on one of my blade traps. Upon further inspection, it was stiffer than the one that held great. The blade didn't move nearly as freely. So, long story short, I pulled open the part that holds it in place a touch to give it more space and allow it to freely swing and now it sticks great to the passage wall. Seems like it was just too much friction when swinging, resulting in pulling the whole trap in the direction I was swinging it (and thus pulling one side off the magnetic connection) rather than just the blade. Not sure if it will fix your issue, but worked great for me.

Hope that helps as it is an easy fix if it works for you,
Cheers.

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 am

Ugh...Lava Bridge. You've just thrown cold water on it. I suppose it is necessary. Building these encounters and your post just now made me realize what would be really helpful would be the top down view with outlines and some color. Like the KS6 cave pieces they debuted - there was a picture of the different pieces outlined and shaded in colors to show the different pieces. Imagine the top down view like that, but with the colors corresponding to the pieces. Magnetic pillar walls would be one color, 1x1 floor would be another color, etc., etc.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 am

A note on encounter building: Acid Bath is the only encounter I built. Because of the elevation layering (there are floors under pretty much all of the elevation pieces to raise them even higher), it was somewhat frustrating to build. I wound up with two 1x1 floors where a 1x2 could have gone (but I had run out of). Having both the top-down and orthogonal views was essential. 1-5 aren't as complex; I dread building Lava Bridge to spec.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 pm

I am sure that was one made in house. The production models sound different from what people have been saying.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 am
For those wondering, here's a snapshot from Nate's unboxing video, and you can see the fabric bunching up around his fingers. Not a big deal to me, but I thought I'd post the pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrDWn1JkbxU

Capture.JPG
Thanks Anime, I see the bunching in the unboxing video but I was actually referring to the Acid Bath Walkthrugh video unveiled on 07/04/2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPK3ONzvqA&t=10s. It doesn't look like the same mat to me and I can't make out any overhang when Nate handles it in the beginning of the video.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

I got my unpainted DL2 and my painted Acid Bath last week, but didn't get to unbox until this week. Nothing missing, bent, or deformed, and nothing has gotten broken yet. My immediate impressions are:

- The ease of storing passages is amazing, and in particular, if I run out of storage at some point, I now foresee the option of ditching all my bread-and-butter dungeon corners. Overall, these four encounters really don't take up too much room, which means more caverns for me, whee. ;) I've got everything unpainted in a little more than half a single Alex drawer in my crafting room and all of Acid Bath fits into a small chunk of one of my coffee table map-style drawers.

- I love, love, love the magnets. Incredibly convenient and zero issues that I was a bit worried about because I store my stuff in metal drawers. I do notice that the big blade trap has a little trouble hanging on to the magnetic passage wall, feels like the magnet on that one needed to be a bit bigger. It will stay but not if you swing the blade (and obviously you have to swing the blade back and forth ten times in a row, it's a rule).

- I love the new bread-and-butter a whole lot. I might ditch all my KS1 and trade up at some point.

- I and my seven-year-old daughter both love all of the LED pieces. She immediately insisted on putting snake orbs into the big throne room wall and putting the throne between them and gloating over how they cast an eerie evil glow on the throne. (And letting out a peal of maniacal laughter worthy of Zaltar himself.)

- The serpentine pillars might be my absolute favorite piece. Except for the spike pit trap. (We also had to lift the roof off the trap several dozen times in a row.) And the throne. And the tiny dungeon. And the alcove. And the big LED wall. Oh, and the eldritch trap doors. And--

- I personally am very happy with the paint job on Acid Bath, although I don't have any painted pillared walls with arches yet, so will have to reserve judgement on that. I might do a little touching up on some parts of the already-beautiful jade snake pillars in Acid Bath because the gold and silver are a little bit flat in a few places, but otherwise I am satisfied and it is a great match for my KS1, I wouldn't bat an eye at building with them together.

- I was initially concerned about the narrow floppy edge on the terrain tray that has been mentioned above, but having built Acid Bath, after pulling away the outer passage walls (the ones whose tabs go under the tray), I could easily pick up and move around the rest of the encounter, even with so many of the pieces built out to the very edge. You can't turn Acid Bath upside down anyway because many of the pieces are stacked on top of other pieces, but it definitely feels like something I could "fly" in or easily store on a shelf. I would definitely prefer it solid all the way to the edge, but it's still doing the job.

- If you are having trouble figuring out how to build any encounter, download the module and scroll through looking for the "Encounter #" pages which show a top-down and angle-on view of each encounter. Very helpful!

- I can't wait for the rest! :D

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I’m a big fan of the terrain tray concept. I am a little disappointed at the fabric around the corners, but my plan is to ignore it and see if it has any impact on actual gameplay. I’m going to try using the tray from Encounter 6 at my upcoming game on Sunday and see how well it performs under “real world” conditions. (Pause for irony...)

So far it still seems pretty awesome. I love how the pieces firmly attach so you can even turn the tray sideways without them falling off, yet the grip is not so tight that it keeps me from moving the pieces around easily. I’m looking forward to building my set up at home and then transporting the build to the game in a shallow box.