First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by Law » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am

I also love the fact that you can perch gargoyles at the top of the corners - I forgot about the little peg hole there! Or heads on pikes!

DevGuy
Orc
Orc

Post by DevGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 am

It sucks that the factory appears to do such poor quality paint jobs.
It also sucks that the terrain trays have material hanging over each edge. It may makes them completely useless to me, and I have a bunch (DOD + addons).

:S

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:23 am

The first thing I noticed is the material has a ton more flex than prior sets. Is it just me and my batch? I can take a corner wall and squash the two far corners together almost. It's much more difficult to do that with my KS1 pieces. And no, I'm not taking steroids nor have I developed super strength.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 am

Drink deeply of the well, my friend!!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 pm

DOOM HAS ARRIVED.

Specifically, Encounters 1, 3, and 6. I also have Gorgon Tiers and a bunch of add-ons on the way eventually (including both versions of almost everything from the Temple).

I won't bother repeating points that have already been made (er, mostly) but I want to note a few quick things (before the inevitable onslaught of photos this weekend...)

Overall, I'm very happy. The Dungeon of Doom looks really cool, it's very imaginative, and it adds a ton of flavor to my Dwarvenite layouts. It accomplishes what it set out to do, with a range of success. It tries 50 things, and gets an A on some, a B on others, and doesn't outright flunk anything. So -- regardless of any nitpicks I include below, the takeaway here is that I'm very happy with the DoD.

Things I like:

The illuminated pieces are just breathtaking. I liked them in cities and castles, too, but there's just nothing like a dungeon wall with a flaming torch. And the serpent orbs are fantastic. It's an embarrassment of riches -- I can't decide which I like more, and I keep swapping between them. In the corners, particularly, the serpent orb is wonderfully effective.

The dressings for the Game Room are amazing. The table, the cloth over it, the dungeon, the throne, the weapons rack. There's a ton of dungeon accessory goodness there.

I think the columns look great, and make for standout encounters. I plan to use these with my KS1 tiles, and to have the column rooms be showcases for particularly unique locations.

And one feature Nate showed off during the campaign but I'd forgotten about -- the double door archway is a City Builder design! Which is awesome because it means you can slip city builder walls in there! Use city builder magnetic walls for other accessories, or a city builder door for a change of pace, or a city builder archway with some stairs for a cool entrance. There's a lot of coolness to be exploited. In general, I can't wait to mix in some city magnetic accessories.

Things I didn't expect:

I'm so used to seeing these as encounters, even with the spreadsheets and breakdowns, it's not until you set it all out and collect it by type that you get a clear sense of what you really have here (at least, for me). Seeing all the walls and corners and floors grouped together really showed me how much coolness I got with just these three encounters (though, ofc, a toooon more is coming).

Don't throw out the plastic doohikies that the LED pieces come in! I tossed out a few and then realized, these things are gonna fall out and be loose in a bin, and those prongs are fragile. I'll have to start storing these in some other way, because, yikes, that makes me nervous.

Things I didn't like:

Well, okay, I'll repeat SOME of that's been said already.

The paint job. Yeah... it's ... not great. Yes, there are issues with too much drybrushing on columns, and yes the portcullis arches clearly missed a step. But more than that -- it's just not super well painted. The paint on the walls doesn't pay enough attention to the architecture, there's bleed between the bricks and the arch, so it looks messy and cluttered instead of like a cool arch. The basic sculpt is outstanding, but it's a shame the prepainted is such a step down from what we used to get with resin.

(And, yes, I realize that this is a non-issue for people who get unpainted -- but if I wanted to paint my own terrain, I'd still use Hirst Arts molds -- I don't have the time and I don't have the interest. The occasional figure, sure, but painting hundreds of identical walls just sounds tedious to me, and I have always liked DF for providing me with prepainted terrain. So, yeah, when the resin sets are replaced by a newer approach that isn't as well-painted, that's a shame.)

The double door, while it's cool that it's a city builder design, it's also a bit tricky to get the doors to stay in place as a result. The little rubbery nubs don't always want to go in, and lining everything up can be tricky -- making it frustrating when I accidentally try to pick it up by the arch and I just slide the top right off and the doors fall out. :/

But the thing that bugs me most surprised me -- it's the terrain tray. The overhang people have mentioned, it really, really hurts the tray for me. To be clear - the overhang is like a cloth material, and it's not rigid at all. It's literally like a thin dish towel. That means the edges fray up a bit. That's not great. You can put stuff on top of them to hide it, but if you wanted a cool acid or lava corner in your room, it won't look as good as it might have. Second, it makes it hard to store it vertically, like a record. It will crush the bottom overhang and it will end up wrinkled and frayed and warped. Which is an issue, because storing it flat is kind of inconvenient. I'll still probably get a lava tray, but I won't be amassing these. If I'd gotten a ton and magnets in all my sets with the idea of being a total devotee of the terrain trays, I'd be bummed. Since I got one as a novelty, it's more of a minor issue -- an experiment that didn't quite work but I wasn't planning on making central to my approach to the sets.

Overall, these aren't major issues for me. The paint is a bummer, but it's not really worse than prior sets. It's just not returning to the resin days. And the other issues are natural quirks of a more elaborate system. Overall, the DoD is super awesome, and I'm definitely going to be returning to the well once it shows up in the store.

Some time in 2034. ;)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 am

I basically have 4 sets of KSI in two paint jobs and my KSV will be pretty much equalish to three base sets plus a lot of cool items. So three choices it looks like for me.

If I could get enough for my KSI I still think I would sell it, but will probably not try to sell it. Here in Japan it is pretty difficult as shipping makes it cost prohibitive to most of the world.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am

While I can see having to sell my seven sets of KS1 someday due to storage issues I have no plans at this moment. I like the idea of having KS1 style dungeons during one game session and KS5 style dungeons for another session, there by making the dungeons look more different from one game to another. Those of you with a ton of both and lots of storage space could even do custom paint jobs to really change things up.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:21 am
Looking at KSI I have to admit I would not mind changing all my KSI for KSV . It is much more detailed. I would keep curved wall and the big floors though
I have sold all of my KSI stuff over the last four to six months. Well, I have a few basics plus stretch goals left of the unpainted. It was part of my deal with my wife to buy the DoD

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:21 am
Looking at KSI I have to admit I would not mind changing all my KSI for KSV . It is much more detailed. I would keep curved wall and the big floors though
Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well..... especially after those ruined pieces come out in ks6....

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:21 am