First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:21 am

Looking at KSI I have to admit I would not mind changing all my KSI for KSV . It is much more detailed. I would keep curved wall and the big floors though
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 am

I am glad I got unpainted. Sure it is work but I can better control the quality.

I still love my KS1 stuff and I don’t think this will replace it. There are still cool pieces in KS1 with no replacement in KS5. Arrow slits, curved 2x2 corners (super useful), arched windows, and some fun decor. The things I look forward to adding to me KS1 from KS5 are passageway walls, elevation pieces, round room, large doors, and some fun new decor.

My first 6 encounters will be here Tuesday. Look forward getting them quickly painted. I have to first finish up some 7th Continent miniatures and then start on Dungeon of Doom (glad it’s coming in waves).

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Arbados wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 am
Only received my unpainted Zaltar's Gameroom today and everything was included. My other orders will be in a later shipment as I ordered nothing more from the sets shipped. This is the first set I ordered unpainted and from the sounds of many posts I'm glad I did! I'd be very disappointed if the tiles paint scheme didn't match the previous ones (which I asked during the KS'er and got confirmation that they would from what I recall).

Can someone remind me about the magnet situation? I thought in the end that DF was going to send us the needed magnets for the pieces? Am I only hopefully dreaming? The height of the pieces line up nicely with previous sets and none of the ones I received seem warped in any way!
Jus in case you have not seen the KSI to KSV comparison

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9171

We concur that if you ordered magnets they would be pre-fitted
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 am

FWIW, the sense I'm getting from reviews and photos is that the paint schemes in KS5 match the KS1 paint schemes very well - any color variation is consistent with what we got within KS1 itself, nothing that rises to the level of being able to use the color difference to identify KS5 tiles in a layout comprised of both sets.

The paint issues are more about things like too heavy drybrushing to the point where it's sloppy and looks like blotchy paint instead of weathering, portions of the arch doors that aren't drybrushed at all, and some other areas that don't look as good as we wanted. It's disappointing because we were hoping for higher quality, but it's not terrible.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 am

I think if you ordered magnets they should be already installed. If not then I have not heard specifics of how magnets can be purchased, Probably have to wait for retail to get them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 am

Only received my unpainted Zaltar's Gameroom today and everything was included. My other orders will be in a later shipment as I ordered nothing more from the sets shipped. This is the first set I ordered unpainted and from the sounds of many posts I'm glad I did! I'd be very disappointed if the tiles paint scheme didn't match the previous ones (which I asked during the KS'er and got confirmation that they would from what I recall).

Can someone remind me about the magnet situation? I thought in the end that DF was going to send us the needed magnets for the pieces? Am I only hopefully dreaming? The height of the pieces line up nicely with previous sets and none of the ones I received seem warped in any way!

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 am
I think the intent there is you start out with a straight Gauntlet, then swap in that little cul de sac whenever you spring the spike wall mechanism on your victim.
Sorry. Yes, that was my interpretation as well. There is a little bit of cannibalizing pieces to do it, but still worth it for the "surprise" to the players.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 am

Alphyns wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

* It looks like the Gauntlet came with supplies to do the spike trap mechanism and a straight wall without the cul-de-sac. That or I messed that one up too.
I think the intent there is you start out with a straight Gauntlet, then swap in that little cul de sac whenever you spring the spike wall mechanism on your victim.

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

Got mine yesterday and set things up "factory default" to make sure that I had everything. A few thoughts:
* There is some color variation in mine, but well within the differences between other sets.
* I didn't notice any particular warpage on any pieces. Though a few of the wall pieces had tabs with minor bends -- storage will be an issue.
* The new wall option really requires pre-assembly. Don't try to figure those out at the table.
* I still haven't figured out how #6 is properly assembled. I have several leftover pieces.
* It looks like the Gauntlet came with supplies to do the spike trap mechanism and a straight wall without the cul-de-sac. That or I messed that one up too.
* Mini-dungeon!

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 am
That’s got to be a really heavy drawer with all that solid dwarvenite... hope that’s the bottom drawer!
That is why I went with metal toolchests meant to hold hundreds of pounds of tools. No worries about the metal drawer falling apart with just a few score pounds of dwarvenite.