First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by oddbender » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 pm

I received encounter 1-6, but have only gotten through the first five encounters so far. Like other I had some warped free standing corner walls. The four from the Lever Chamber were fine. The four from Deadly Corners were all warped.
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am
I Want to qualify by opinion by stating I have not seen the problem yet.
I do not think it is unfixable. Try a block,a clamp and hot water to square it back up.

The PVC is produced in a ridgid mold. It is hot and flexible when it comes out.Like the packman part, it distorted in the water/cooling bath because there is no floor/wall to help keep it square. Warm it back up in hot water. Then square it up and recool it.

I always get unpainted. I expect to work on the parts. I always have to. The L shaped part my require a jig. I will see.Then I will make a photo.
And thanks to Oldent for the suggestion because the hot water and jig seems to have worked staightening the warped ones. Hopefully, they stay straight.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

astolat wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm
Curses! Thanks for the info, pacarat.
np

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Curses! Thanks for the info, pacarat.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:07 pm

astolat wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:57 pm
Can I ask anyone who's done the reinforcement, does it look like 1/2" thick wood would fit underneath, or would that last 1/16" cause it to bump into something?
Half inch will not work - need that 1/16.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Can I ask anyone who's done the reinforcement, does it look like 1/2" thick wood would fit underneath, or would that last 1/16" cause it to bump into something?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am
I do need to do that slat reinforcement someday soon. The drawers can handle the weight fully loaded, but occasionally the back edge of the floor will pop out of the groove and parts can fall off or get wedged in the back.
I have 5 Alex units and haven't reinforced them, but they don't appear to be bowing and have never slipped out. They're all stuffed full and have been for 3-4 years. I know I should but it's just so much work to unload 25 drawers of resin and dwarvenite I haven't prioritized it. Your post is the first I've heard of the units failing in some way; everything else I've heard has just been precautionary.

I guess maybe with my DoD I can find a good excuse to reorganize and do it...
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm

my notes from doing two and a half units:

ikea alex drawers (supports measured front to back)

s4s stock:
7/16" x 1 1/4"x 16 5/8"

12 drawers x2 supports
3 drawers x2 supports

16 5/8" each support
7" in from ea side

30 x 1.5' = 45'

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am
GardenDM wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:37 am
Pizzabagel wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 am
That’s got to be a really heavy drawer with all that solid dwarvenite... hope that’s the bottom drawer!
I've got these units and they're super stable. The drawers don't slide all the way out, so I'm sure that helps (although a bit annoying at times to fish stuff out from the very back).

I don't know about GeekJeff, but I reinforced mine with woodenslats underneath since the drawer bottoms are just pressed-board liners.
It's the top drawer, actually. :lol: But there's enough other heavy Dwarvenite in the others that it's not gonna tip over.

I do need to do that slat reinforcement someday soon. The drawers can handle the weight fully loaded, but occasionally the back edge of the floor will pop out of the groove and parts can fall off or get wedged in the back.
Here's some photos I took of the project if you want to see my approach.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAE6pQ5HkteXoXvz6

Sorry, I don't have the molding measurements handy, but I know someone posted them in the forum somewhere...

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:41 pm
FYI Really Useful Boxes 7 Litre appears to be a perfect size to hold and transport a build on a terrain tray (which helps me since I have to haul my dungeons to a friends house for our weekly game).

These are available from Office Depot for about $10 with free shipping if you order enough, and usually there will be a 20%-40% off coupon you can click on.
Perfect - love those boxes! Just ordered 3 more 7 liter ones. Thanks for the proper sizing clue!

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

GardenDM wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:37 am
Pizzabagel wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 am
That’s got to be a really heavy drawer with all that solid dwarvenite... hope that’s the bottom drawer!
I've got these units and they're super stable. The drawers don't slide all the way out, so I'm sure that helps (although a bit annoying at times to fish stuff out from the very back).

I don't know about GeekJeff, but I reinforced mine with woodenslats underneath since the drawer bottoms are just pressed-board liners.
It's the top drawer, actually. :lol: But there's enough other heavy Dwarvenite in the others that it's not gonna tip over.