Post by GardenDM » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 am
Not understanding what you are saying... but i am clueless sometimes

this works:

IMG_6993.JPG

if you can stomach the missing corner:

IMG_6994.jpeg
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to describe.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 am

Not understanding what you are saying... but i am clueless sometimes

this works:
IMG_6993.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG (91.34 KiB) Viewed 712 times
if you can stomach the missing corner:
IMG_6994.jpeg
IMG_6994.jpeg (79.24 KiB) Viewed 712 times
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm

@kitenerd - It's not a perfect solution, but it seems like a 1x2 floor piece would let you lengthen your hallway just enough to drop the corner piece and just butt two passage walls together in the corner (with one being magnetic).

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm

New passages are fiddly and difficult to transition in and out of. They also take up virtually ZERO space to store and offer myriad opportunities to build in new and creative ways. Count me a fan!

I do agree there is a learning curve here. My big problem right now is i cannot place a magnet accessory at the end of a hall because the corner necessitates 1" non metal walls. As Law points out this could be accomplished with a Vaulted Wall (the way he used the barred wall) but then i have transitioned out of full width passages.

Look at the build below. I want my crossbow to shoot the length of the hall.
IMG_6981.JPG
IMG_6981.JPG (84.25 KiB) Viewed 629 times
If we had a 1.5” passage wall then we could use the 2” metal wall on the end with a 1.5 on the side (metal tabs would be 2 thick underneath which would freak some folks out - I am not so fussy)

Still playing around - i have only unboxed 3 of 6 encounters - savoring the goodness/busy as hell ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 am
Law wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am
Good point, I should have clarified that. This opens up a lot.

Also - is that a dungeon made to match the mini dungeon?!??
Have you not seen this thread?

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... =13&t=9182
OH MY GOD!!

That's the best thing ever!!!!!

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Ok, poor form to respond to myself, but I wanted to double check how the back of Zaltar's throne looks and watched this video to confirm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9JiedNmIc

The pieces in the video are much more grey than black. So while my painted DoD pieces match the photos on the KS (yay!), they don't really match the stuff shown in the KS videos (boo).

Personally, I still prefer the pieces shown in the video, which appear stone colored with lighter dry brush on top over the photos (and what I received), which appears to be black with some light stone dry brush on top.

The good news is that the issue seems mostly isolated to the arches themselves and the floors and walls are all a great match for KS1.

I'm going to ponder this question and also wait to see how the rest of the KS turns out (e.g. marble, burrows, temple, etc.) since some of those pieces have even more intricate details and/or require paint to make them a thing (marble, I'm looking at you).

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 pm

In the meantime, I wanted to celebrate the variety of lights available and contradict my comments from last night about the paint quality.

First, check out the lights we now have (am I missing any?)!!! It's a bit too zoomed in and blurry, but still, how awesome is that?!
all the lights_.jpg
all the lights_.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Second, here are a bunch of close-ups of what I thought were paint issues.
big wall front.jpg
big wall front.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 592 times
big wall back.jpg
big wall back.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 592 times
corners.jpg
corners.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 592 times
arched walls 1.jpg
arched walls 1.jpg (77.67 KiB) Viewed 592 times
arched walls 2.jpg
arched walls 2.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 592 times
diagwalls.jpg
diagwalls.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 592 times
zthrone front.jpg
zthrone front.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 592 times
zthrone back.jpg
zthrone back.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 592 times
I flipped through the DoD Kickstarter galleries this morning and realized two important things:
  • Almost all of my pieces are "within specification" for what's shown in the Kicksters
  • I can't wait for all the rest of my goodies to arrive!!! There's so much awesome stuff still to come (more on this in another post)
So, why the concern about the paint quality in my previous post?

I had forgotten how black many of the pieces are, per the design shown in the Kickstarter. What I thought was lack of paint appears to be the artist's intent. I still need to wrap my mind around the color scheme (should it be more grey and stone-like, or is the DoD full of black rock like basalt, etc.), but I can confidently say that I got what I paid for with the painted pieces.

The only exception is my portcullis arched wall, which completely lacks dry-brush on the arch and will be a quick fix for me.

Even Zaltar's throne, which at first glance appeared to have missing paint must be made out of some dark wood since the KS photos show it with a similar paint scheme. I may touch up the throne since it's also a one-off piece for me.

Oh, and some of my pillars are over dry-brushed, which is something else I'm going to ponder (worth fixing? worth complaining?) a bit more.

So, yeah, I mostly don't think paint-gate is a thing, at least in my case.
Last edited by GardenDM on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 am

Law wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am
Good point, I should have clarified that. This opens up a lot.

Also - is that a dungeon made to match the mini dungeon?!??
Have you not seen this thread?

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... =13&t=9182
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks all for the comments. I agree that there are some adjustments needed for integrating the new DoD stuff into dungeon builds and I'm still learning what they are. I've got one observation that I'll post some pictures on tonight.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am

What I've done a few times, and I love being able to do, is repurpose pieces that would otherwise not have been able to go where I want them.

I like having a corridor that ends with a barred gate. Easy to do by placing passage walls under the barred door - otherwise not possible. (I mean, you could put a passage up to the room that opens up that way, but you see my point - you'd still need passage walls).

I can place either the double door or the large arched wall (the throne wall) as its own little alcove, with passage walls along the sides, if I don't want the room to be too large - or if I want a little side alcove for these.

That's been super fun to experiment with - what can be in a narrower space now that I can add walls to it instead of having to surround it with corners?