My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Re: My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by Saxon1974 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I thought those green lights looked bright in pics. Lots saying paint jobs getting worse. We will see if bad enough to get me to paint my own though, so much work:)

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Re: My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:18 am

As a follow-up post, I have a few observations now that I've played with E1.

The Good
  • I really like the passage pieces. And they snap together with the magnetic floors in a very satisfying way. They also play well with KS2 dungeon passages and we'll see if I keep both styles or stick with just one
  • I really like the DoD style pillar-walls. As I expected, I think I want to have both the original style and pillar style for variety
  • As expected, I love the new "special" pieces (modular double doors, magnetic walls, lighted walls, arch wall)
  • Even more light sources! I love the variety (from basic torches, to lanterns, to magical orbs, we've got it all)
The Not-so-good
  • Frankly, the quality of the paint job has declined compared to previous Kickstarters. I have completely black (unpainted) sections on a number of pieces and over dry-brushing on others. It's hit or miss and probably 80% of my pieces are in-line with expectations and on-par with KS1 quality level.
  • My 4x4 floor is a little warped. It's not bad, but makes me worried for some of my larger add-ons.
  • The plastic pegs on the double doors worry me a tad. I think they'll be ok, but I'm gentle with them since I could imagine them breaking off.
  • The serpent orbs are way too bright. This is a minor complaint, but if I had my way they'd be 50% less bright (they're seriously blinding, yo).
Misc
  • I got magnets on my pieces and was excited to test that out, but it turns out that the felt-lined baking sheets I made for modular builds aren't ferrous enough and none of the pieces stick. :( oh well, I guess I'll wait for the trays.
All-in-all it was a ton of fun playing with E1 and I can't wait for more. I think I'm most excited to play around with some of the elevated pieces (stairs and bridge) as well as the burrows (YES!).

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 am

I hope everyone is ok with me making a thread just for my DoD (KS5) experiments! It will be sparse for a bit since I've only got Encounter 1 for now. My order was primarily add-ons plus a few of the later encounters.

So, on with the show!

First I built a version of Zaltar's Game Room. It wasn't too difficult to puzzle this out, although I can see getting lost on larger builds. And yeah, those green lights are bright! I wish they were lower intensity.
those green lights.jpg
those green lights.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Next, I mixed in a few KS1 pieces. The paint matches great to my eyes
KS1 and KS5 mix.jpg
KS1 and KS5 mix.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Then I had some fun populating the dungeon...rats and kobolds have taken over! Where is Zaltar?!
monsters in the game room.jpg
monsters in the game room.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Finally, I played around with alternate light sources. I love the sheer variety we have after three Kickstarters and can't wait to expand further in KS6.
game room alternate lights.jpg
game room alternate lights.jpg (142.85 KiB) Viewed 419 times