There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

User avatar
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2520
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 am
Location: Flaming bunny Warren, Valoria

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:50 am

Very Nice Paint Job, do like the vibrant red, shows its a live dungeon full of terrors. :)

Would also like to see your Sandstone paintjob when possible
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

nielsene
Orc
Orc
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 pm
Location: Boston-ish

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by nielsene » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:16 pm

I remember my PCs had a much harder time with the approach to the structure than the structure itself. But I may have added exterior defenders that acted in odd ways that helped distract the party from their usual plan of attack.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Colorado

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Phoenix Rising » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:09 pm

nielsene wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 pm
Nice build and painting! And I recognized it before you identified the encounter. I had so much fun running my PCs through that one...
I'm going to have fun with this once it's properly elevated! My mythic PCs are largely wiping the walls with the encounters so far. (Poor, poor Scorizscar, ambushed while flying by a Mythic Hasted character and friends...) I'm looking forward to this more mass-combat style encounter, with an extra surprise or two.

nielsene
Orc
Orc
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 pm
Location: Boston-ish

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by nielsene » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Nice build and painting! And I recognized it before you identified the encounter. I had so much fun running my PCs through that one...

User avatar
kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2082
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 am

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 pm
Great job

It is such a nice clean dungeon, do you plan to leave it new and classy or do you plan to dirty it up with a dry brush?
The gray and black have been dry brushed, but I plan to leave the red marble clean. For lower-class establishments I'll use classic dungeon pieces, and I will only be doing 60% of my pieces in this style; the other 40% will be in a dusty sandstone.
Makes sense.

I would love to see the sandstone when you do it.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Colorado

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 pm
Great job

It is such a nice clean dungeon, do you plan to leave it new and classy or do you plan to dirty it up with a dry brush?
The gray and black have been dry brushed, but I plan to leave the red marble clean. For lower-class establishments I'll use classic dungeon pieces, and I will only be doing 60% of my pieces in this style; the other 40% will be in a dusty sandstone.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Colorado

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 pm

FYI this is an attempt at a Pathfinder AP build - Arueshalae's Redoubt from Wrath of the Righteous vol 3. It takes every floor tile and almost every wall tile I got in DoD Encounters 1-6 plus an extra #4. I'm short of stairs and filler (have been using double passage walls) and I have been using false floors and trap doors until I get my next shipment. This layout is designed as a co-ordinated set of encounters, so it has to be laid out all at once.

I'll update with pics as I go, but there will not be progress this week.

User avatar
kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2082
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 am

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Great job

It is such a nice clean dungeon, do you plan to leave it new and classy or do you plan to dirty it up with a dry brush?

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Colorado

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 pm

There are a few floor tiles I over-painted. Right now coverage is more important than consistency.

I filled the 4x4 floor cracks in the middle with clear Gallery Glass. I was a bit impatient, so there are a few bubbles. I wanted to create a flatter feeling for marble tiling, but didn't want to lose the grid entirely. Also, I tried to add some white quartz veins to the floor marbling. I'm not sure I like them... IRL these veins would have been very straight, but the texture of these floors was too much and I gavd up on straight early.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 am
Location: Colorado

Re: There now. That wasn't too bad, was it?

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Image
Sorry if it's a bit dark. Sample wall in custom paint.

Image
Lever Room walls and a bit more.

Image
WIP; not everything, but quite a bit more. You can see a few unpainted pieces - mostly filler and stairs/ramps, some of which I'll be replacing with other parts if they come in with Monday's shipment.

Yes, that's pink foam. I'll be elevating almost the whole build, and about 1/3 gets extra elevation on top of that.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests