A Brief Look at Factory Paint

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Brief Look at Factory Paint

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Yeah, I've matched factory paint with just doing the cardboard or earth stone blocks, and then drybrushing with a mix of stone edge dry brush and olive dry brush. I don't know the ratio though, I just mix it until it matches.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

TheGallantGoblin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by TheGallantGoblin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm reading on the KS comment section that the factory may just skip the base gray step. Does that jive with what you all understand?

TheGallantGoblin
Kobold
Kobold

Post by TheGallantGoblin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm

I was about to post a similar picture and bemoan my apparent inability to follow directions, because I got my 2nd shipment yesterday which contained my first painted set, and it doesn't match at all with my self-painted stuff from last month. So I'm not necessarily doing something wrong? They just used a different set of paints or procedures than they lay out in the painting guide videos?
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for this post, very helpful. I have a bunch of KS1 that I need to paint to match to my KS5 pieces.

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am

Base material colors are the same for both KS1 and KS5, I’ve simply painted a coat of Base Gray over the tiles on the left.

~iPaint

JalanDa
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JalanDa » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am

it almost seems like the base material color was darker

iPaint
Orc
Orc

A Brief Look at Factory Paint

Post by iPaint » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:31 am

Just wanted to post a reference pic for anyone looking to copy the KS5 paint scheme. I've added a comparison of my paint scheme, which is based on Pokorny Base Gray and a variety of drybrush layers and earth tones airbrushed onto the bricks (two overbrushed gray highlights, five airbrushed brick colors, and a final unifying drybrush).

The factory paint scheme looks like a brick color of a mix of Cardboard and maybe a bit of Olive Drybrush, followed by a drybrush of what looks like maybe a mix of Olive Drybrush and a bit of Stone Edge. I'll have to mess around a bit and maybe come up with a mix that others can find useful if they want to match the KS5 paints using Pokorny Paints.

~iPaint

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”