A Brief Look at Factory Paint

Tecmage
Kobold
Kobold

Re: A Brief Look at Factory Paint

Post by Tecmage » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am

glynnsmith wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 pm
There is a thread created by SirGeekJeff that shows how to get it close. DF is also going to do a painting guide once they recover.
So far I've tried both the suggestions here and the ones by SirGeekJeff without any luck matching the colors.

Running by my wife who's a much better painter than I am it seems I do need to try the one with school bus yellow and cardboard mix (both are coming Thursday). There's a tint of yellow on the drybrush that just doesn't show up when using only the olive and and stone edge. I only have a starter dungeon that's painted and a few sets of game tiles that are unpainted. So it's tempting to just order everything else unpainted and make my own color scheme but I'm lazy and was going to order a ton of painted DoD when it hits the store.

glynnsmith
Goblin
Goblin

Post by glynnsmith » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 pm

There is a thread created by SirGeekJeff that shows how to get it close. DF is also going to do a painting guide once they recover.

Sfolivier
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Sfolivier » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm

TheGallantGoblin wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm
I was about to post a similar picture and bemoan my apparent inability to follow directions, because I got my 2nd shipment yesterday which contained my first painted set, and it doesn't match at all with my self-painted stuff from last month.
I may have missed new painting guides but if you used the "old" guide (and it really matches your picture) you added one step (Base Gray as a base) that isn't part of the current paint scheme. Form your pictures it actually seems as if you added a heavy layer of base gray (you covered the recess areas with it). Nothing wrong with your color style but it's why you see a difference.

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Tested some Pokorny colors out last night - here's my results.

Factory stone colors:
Mix 4 parts Earth Stone to 1 part Base Wood

Factory drybrush:
Mix 3 parts Stone Edge Dry Brush to 1 part Olive Dry Brush

Hope that helps
~iPaint

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Problem is there is no easy answer since the factory paint jobs vary from print run to print run and always have. Here, I painted many of my DOD pieces before I received any of them with the factory paint job. The one on the left is my paint job, the one on the right is the factory paint job. I am happy they match pretty well. For mine I did a base gray wetbrush, then Earth Stone on a few stones, Black (though Pokorny black is glassy and shouldnt be), deep lava on the pillars, then a drybrush of 5/6 mix of Olive Dry Brush and Stone Edge Drybrush.
Attachments
20180813_221744X.jpg
20180813_221744X.jpg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
20180813_221739X.jpg
20180813_221739X.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

thelonegoldfish
Kobold
Kobold

Post by thelonegoldfish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for posting this. I just finished painting my KS1 stuff, and then opened my KS5 shipment (which I splurged on paint for) and I was really disappointed that it didn't match.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Tecmage wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm
That's a bit disappointing. I picked up some unpainted game tiles and was going to try to pick up some painted Doom sets when they hit the store. If I just skip the base gray step do you think that'll be enough to get them matching or will I need some other paints like cardboard to mix in? This is my first time attempting to paint anything so mixing until matching is probably beyond me. :)
Tecmage, I'm paint illiterate as well and I did it relatively easily. For the paint mixing, you will need a prepainted DF tile. Mix the Pokorny Paint colors Stone Edge Drybrush and Olive Drybrush about 50/50 in a palette. Do a test paint on something (I use a paper towel) and match it to the highlights on the prepainted tile. Lighten with Stone Edge Drybrush or darked with Olive Drybrush until it's what you want.

After that, put the paint on your brush, wipe the excess off on a paper towel, and drybrush away! (Only after you've done your brown accent stones to match the prepainted sets, however :D )
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Go for it. You can always paint over, or strip (very easily) with super clean or pinesol.
Some if our stuff has been painted and stripped, repainted multiple times with no ill effects.

Just be sure to clean with good dish soap/detergent, rinse well and dry after stripping.

Tecmage
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Tecmage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm

That's a bit disappointing. I picked up some unpainted game tiles and was going to try to pick up some painted Doom sets when they hit the store. If I just skip the base gray step do you think that'll be enough to get them matching or will I need some other paints like cardboard to mix in? This is my first time attempting to paint anything so mixing until matching is probably beyond me. :)

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Yep, the factory does indeed skip the base gray steps mentioned in the painting guide videos.

~iPaint

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”