Puzzle Floor Encounters Brainstorm

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Re: Puzzle Floor Encounters Brainstorm

Post by combs1ng » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Definitely chessboard with the intent of having stone statues that may "activate" unless a puzzle is solved correctly. Or they may become activated if a certain square is traveled over.

Another loose idea I had was to have the stickers from page 8 (natural elements) and use them to see what the players may have remembered from their journey up to this point in the dungeon. For instance, they may have traveled by a large mysterious Oak tree or traversed miles of terrain through a storm and thus would have to use their recollection to solve the puzzle by only stepping on the corresponding symbols.

Alphastream
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Alphastream » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Hopefully we will get the adventure out soon, so you can see what we did there. We used the tiles for a riddle, which I think can be good inspiration for other adventures.

At a very simple level, you can emulate what Indiana Jones faced in Last Crusade. That's a fun way to use the tiles and link them to words related to your campaign/adventure.
Find my articles on running D&D at Alphastream.org
Find my D&D adventures on the DMs Guild!
On Twitter @Alphastream

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 am

We did not order any Puzzle Floors so we are of no help here.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Puzzle Floor Encounters Brainstorm

Post by szabbran » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 am

Hi all,
I've been spending some time messing around with my newly arrived puzzle floors- they are very cool! One of the things I'm trying to do is think of potential puzzles/encoutners I may want to use them for in order to help me decide which stickers to use on the assembled pieces. How do you all plan on using them?

Right now I have the following I am planning:
  • Chess board encounter: Disclaimer for those who are trying this! I purchased two sets with the intent of doing a chess board setup (8"x8", alternating black/white marble). Please be aware that while two sets will get you enough tiles, it will not get you enough black/white marble stickers. I'm still wrestling with the best way to get the remaining stickers (even if it means ordering more sets from the shop). If anyone isn't using theirs and would like to trade/sell, I am happy to pay postage!
  • Hallway with different "aspect" tiles: There are a set of stickers that correspond (roughly) to the major D&D 5e attributes, as well as the elements. I plan to have a hallway leading to some bigger boss fight or encoutner where the players will have to step on at least one square on each tile, and save against that attribute/element to receive either a boon or curse depending on the outcome. What they choose, and how they perform, would change how they are able to approach the bossfight on the other side.
Any other encounter ideas?