Elevation Boxes

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Elevation Boxes

Post by dice4hire » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:31 pm

I think the boxes turned out to be much harder to manufacture than they expected.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 am
nielsene wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm
They mentioned (but I can't find where -- I checked back through lots of the old KS updates) that they were extremely underpriced during the KS. They didn't say, but I'm assuming it was just a place where their budget/guesstimate was off.
This is exactly our recollection, DF and the Factory underestimated the initial production cost estimates
This is why I love DF so much. I have done other KS where they have miscalculated the cost. What others have done is just made it less superior or not at all. But DF decided to make it the best it could be and just eat the cost themselves.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 am

nielsene wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm
They mentioned (but I can't find where -- I checked back through lots of the old KS updates) that they were extremely underpriced during the KS. They didn't say, but I'm assuming it was just a place where their budget/guesstimate was off.
This is exactly our recollection, DF and the Factory underestimated the initial production cost estimates
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm

As i recall, it was redesigned after the price was set in the campaign. The price went up.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm

This is one of the things I though I had over bought on them. With the price increasement I am glad I bought as many as I did.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I wonder if in the future they will repackage the DoD encounters with the elevation boxes to just have terrain trays and stilts/support walls to lower the cost of the encounters.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 pm

From what I've been able to extrapolate, the pieces were prone to warping, so you have an increased cost there due to defects, each piece likely takes an entire mold to cast, so instead of making 20x floors with one mold press, you're making 1x lid or box, the box is larger than some of the encounters in their packaged form, so inventory costs are high for one item, and return/replacement costs are high (for example, if someone has a missing piece from a Zaltar's Gameroom encounter, they can crack open a box of it and cherry pick the piece out of it and keep that box open for other replacement requests; with the elevation box it's an all-in replacement.)
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Doleo_DF
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Doleo_DF » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Apologies if this was asked before. So in the KS5, the elevation platforms were $39. The price in the webstore is $73. I understand that KS prices are cheaper, typically 10 or 15% variance. Was there any explanation why the price difference is so big for this particular piece? Was it QA / warping?

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”