Elevation Boxes

Khail
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Elevation Boxes

Post by Khail » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, exactly. When the size is perfect, it's hard to argue with the price compared to other options!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Khail wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 pm
Another option worthy of bringing up - I just got a bunch of d4f's blocks to use for elevation. They're perfect. If you're unaware of these check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9133

Expensive for what they are (especially with shipping) but their utility makes them well worth the price.
These blocks are cheap compared to DF elevation pieces or gator foam.
As dear ol' Dad always used to press... "Compared to what?" ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Khail
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Khail » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Another option worthy of bringing up - I just got a bunch of d4f's blocks to use for elevation. They're perfect. If you're unaware of these check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9133

Expensive for what they are (especially with shipping) but their utility makes them well worth the price.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:15 pm

patransom wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 pm
Law wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am
patransom wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 am
Seems like the terrain trays with the different height stilts in KS6 will also go both ways, but those are a year or more away.
Not really. You can get terrain trays soon (assuming you didn't get any in KS5, in which case you have them now or even sooner). And while we don't have the stilts, you can still benefit from the concept. Prop up a terrain tray with four corners. Stick those corners on four floor pieces. Same effect.

It may seem like it's not as good a solution, but it's WAY more useful than having to support each and every tile up top. You can waste so many pieces that way, particularly corner pieces, which (for obvious reasons) are the most effective. And ofc you can use columns as well if you want. Or build a whole line of walls. Whatever you use to support it, you're using less and doing things faster than without.

I didn't get any stilts (other than those that come with my core sets) in KS6. I don't need em.
Good point! I didn't even think of that. I don't have any terrain trays, but was thinking about whether to add trays and stilts in the KS6 pledge manager. Now I realize I don't need no stinkin' stilts!
I'm leaning heavily towards picking up a bunch of stilts. I find the terrain trays annoying to build with using standard elevation blocks since things slide around too easily. Having the stilts snap to the trays should be a big usability improvement for me. Just my 2 cents.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Law wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am
patransom wrote:
Seems like the terrain trays with the different height stilts in KS6 will also go both ways, but those are a year or more away.
Not really. You can get terrain trays soon (assuming you didn't get any in KS5, in which case you have them now or even sooner). And while we don't have the stilts, you can still benefit from the concept. Prop up a terrain tray with four corners. Stick those corners on four floor pieces. Same effect.

It may seem like it's not as good a solution, but it's WAY more useful than having to support each and every tile up top. You can waste so many pieces that way, particularly corner pieces, which (for obvious reasons) are the most effective. And ofc you can use columns as well if you want. Or build a whole line of walls. Whatever you use to support it, you're using less and doing things faster than without.

I didn't get any stilts (other than those that come with my core sets) in KS6. I don't need em.
Good point! I didn't even think of that. I don't have any terrain trays, but was thinking about whether to add trays and stilts in the KS6 pledge manager. Now I realize I don't need no stinkin' stilts!

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:03 pm

zenako wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:08 am
I was looking at the 4 elevation boxes stacked on top of each other on my game table and realized that it could be some sort of monolithic windowless fortress with only access from the roof for example. You could actually put a whole series of crenelations around the top and make it a large "fort", and since it is just 12x12 in size, you could then have a series of small chambers with stairs for each floor to explore set up on some trays to pull out as the players delve deeper into the "Fort". Perhaps leading to a subterranean section that has some breakout to burrows and alien insect invaders that have taken out the complex! With the small ledges at each box, that would make for some climbing points if folks had no other means to get to the top.
You could put regular walls and window walls in between the boxes. Some round walls on the corners for towers. I could see that. The dungeon could be all setup inside the bottom box ready to pull the lid off. Or boxes. Some trapdoor floors in there or some stairs down floors between dungeon levels. I'm with you....where's my sword?

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:08 am

I was looking at the 4 elevation boxes stacked on top of each other on my game table and realized that it could be some sort of monolithic windowless fortress with only access from the roof for example. You could actually put a whole series of crenelations around the top and make it a large "fort", and since it is just 12x12 in size, you could then have a series of small chambers with stairs for each floor to explore set up on some trays to pull out as the players delve deeper into the "Fort". Perhaps leading to a subterranean section that has some breakout to burrows and alien insect invaders that have taken out the complex! With the small ledges at each box, that would make for some climbing points if folks had no other means to get to the top.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am

patransom wrote:

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 am

As others have noted, barring warped units, they do well as an elevation surface.

As for storage: I just loaded mine with most of a marble Emperor's Palace mega pack. There is plenty of room for many not-full-wall-height pieces; dais pieces even stack. Things may rattle around a bit, but I'm not planning on taking any of this out in a dune buggy.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 am

Not only are they gorgonite, but they have a metal plate glued inside them (for use with your magnetic KS5 bits), so straightening them doesn't seem like an option.

They will still be useful for elevation because, without the lid tucked underneath, they are they height of a KS2 or Erinthor elevation block. With the lid tucked in, they are the height of a pegged floor. They go both ways, so to speak, making them useful at different heights.

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”