LED & Battery Life SPan & Maintenance Question

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Re: LED & Battery Life SPan & Maintenance Question

Post by arsthein » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I've taken the pictures, I'm trying to resize them to fit the forum rules.

In the mean time, should I consider magnetism or static being a part of the problem? I've tried with new batteries and doesn't change the issue. I think that magnetism shouldn't present a problem for this kind of simple device right?

I've opened a Forsaken Temple corner (with LED) without removing the tab or touching the switch. I can't see any difference with the non-working ones...

Let's see, the pictures... I'll be back.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi there guys, thank you for your responses!

Astolat, I will be very happy to post pictures, I would be very happy to do anything (to the extent of my meager capabilities) to "help you help me" figure out what has gone wrong. I am aware this it's very odd, more so if you consider 1 of the screwed pieces is from another kickstarter entirely. But I have to say, I have some computer hardware skills and I use to open them very often and change pieces and mess around generaly speaking. This is beyond critical fumble for me.

I'll try to take the pictures as soon as I can. If you want to give me further instructions about how I should take the pictures or what close-ups you would find useful, please don't hesitate to tell me.

By the way, I purchased a couple of new batteries yesterday and tested them in the four items. No use, still don't work.

About the switch, I've of course tested changing positions (although I already knew which one was "on"). The polarity of the battery, I never use disc batteries and may be I'm totally wrong (I wish I am, as a matter of fact), but to put them wrong way I would have to put it "belly up" so to speak, am I wrong? (I even tried to rotate the batteries). I'll include at least one picture with the battery in.

Astolat, I find valuable the information you put at the end of your post, I wanted to know to which extent people had tried changing the batteries so far, so your case is very enlightening.

Thank you again to both of you guys, and see you later!

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:49 pm

@arsthein, can you post a picture or two of your non-working pieces showing the battery and the internals? And if you'll forgive my instinctive first question, are you sure you have inserted the battery with the correct polarity and that the switch is in the right position? If one piece stopped working, I'd say that was a bad battery or a bad switch, but for three separate pieces that were working to suddenly die, that seems unlikely (although you may have gotten a bad batch).

FWIW, I have removed/replaced batteries with no trouble. (In fact I just recently stripped about eight layers of a failed paint job off one of the KS4 LED floors; it involved repeatedly soaking the piece in 99% alcohol and scrubbing with a toothbrush, and I was 99% sure it was going to be toast after, but when I let it dry and popped the batteries back in, no problems.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:38 pm

I don't know about the batteries, but for your other points, -personally- I feel it is due to scope. DF has stretched themselves too thin to manage the QC they used to have and things have been slipping through that are amplified due to their reputation. People expect near-perfection from DF due to their track record. Different scales, dwarvenite colors, paint colors, structural issues inside pieces, late delivery of pieces and the module, etc. have all damaged that a bit. I feel there is more of a voice on the internet now saying "why pay that much for Dwarven Forge when you can buy X for cheaper and it's just as good?" I really like the resin products and the dwarvenite material; to be honest, dwarvenite is the main selling point for me right now besides aesthetics as I have small kids.

Nate said they are going to try to do more scaled-back kickstarters going forward, and I feel that will allow them to focus more on things that have been missed in the recent past like the issues described above. I have hope for the future, but I do think that 2019 will be a big year in some of us determining our faith in potential improvements to problem areas.

I think the DoD/KS5 was a turning point in the quality aspect regarding matching an older set and consistency, but apparently they still had some issues with LEDs, according to you. I think they got lost in KS6 with scope/marketing/doing it all with limited staff, and I fully expect some issues with KS6 due to that. I'm sure many issues we may see in KS6 that would have been caught with dungeons if they had made it through QC won't even be noticed in caverns due to their organic nature (warpage, sizing, etc). I think we'll have a small step back in quality with some KS6 issues that will be missed due to being stretched too thin, but then going forward with smaller campaigns, things will improve should they be able to stick to it and devote their time to ensuring quality along with innovation. I think they got distracted with quantity of offerings, but I hope things will be better going forward. They didn't stray too far, in my opinion, but they definitely allowed competitors to shorten the gap and point out issues. Here's hoping lessons have been learned and we move forward continuing to receive the world's finest dungeon terrain.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi there folks, I have another question/set of questions about LEDs. Just finished unpacking my KS V pieces (I recieved it all several weeks ago but due to works in my game room wasn't able to unpack it until now).

Concerning LED pieces, until now I only had used the LED pieces from the Resin Catacombs (corners and big central floor piece). I removed the tabs and turn them on for the first time in the middle of the game. I have too, the gatehouse and chromatic orb from KS IV (Ramparts and stretch goal), but never used until an hour ago (that is, the chromatic orb, because after what happened I refrained from removing the gatehouse tabs).

Having read lots of the issues and precautions concerning LEDs here in the forum, and now that my KS V items include a couple of Grand Vaulted walls, corners from the Forsaken Shrine, a couple of Vaulted led walls and the Eldritch Obelisk from Eldrid's trove (plus led serpent orbs, torches and Eldritch Wall Wards) I decided was time for me to test it all and perhaps remove the batteries for storage until it comes the time to light them in a game. My, it has gone wrong.

I tested the chromatic orb. Gorgeous. Then I tested the eldritch obelisk. Beautiful. Then the Vaulted led walls. Great.

The problems arose when I started removing batteries. I did it very carefully and step by step kind of using a scientific approach. I removed the battery from the chromatic orb, and tried to put again the tab back and close the floor piece. It seemed to go well, since the chromatic didn't light up when switching to "on".

Then I did the same with the eldritch obelisk. This time just tried to operate it without closing the piece. But I discovered that it worked no more, once I removed the battery and put it back again. Worried, I removed the tab put back previously in the chromatic, and to my dismay the chromatic orb didn't work either.

So I opened one of the vaulted walls and tried the battery on the chromatic and the obelisk. Nothing. Worse, puting the battery again in the vaulted wall from which it came reveals that the vaulted wall works no more. Since I could not do this experiment with more floor sockets (I don't have any other) I tried and test several accesory leds (snake orbs, torches, eldritch wards) in the two vaulted walls. They are ok, they work fine (including the one that was in the wall that doesn't work anymore). So it's not the led accesories per se. That leaves the problem in the battery or the rest of the device, but I were very careful and can't see for the life of me any damage to the cables, the contacts, etc.

I took my last risk and opened extra-carefully the last vaulted LED wall. Operated it with it open, changed led accesories, all ok. The moment I take the battery out and put it back, the led doesn't work anymore. I stopped right there and didn't even remove the tab of the rest of the pieces. However, I did took one of my Resin Catacomb LED corners, opened it, remove the batteries (it has 3 smaller than the CR 2032), and put them back, first time I did that, and no problem at all (by the way, the interior of these pieces is much more sturdy and well packaged, although putting back the 3 batteries is kind of a pain).

I've been (I would think) careful enough with static electricity too.

I cannot go right now (it's late) to get some replacement batteries, so I decided to look up for wisdom here in the forum: What do you think are the chances that I messed up something within the device or maybe I've screwed up the batteries somehow? 4 out of 4 (100%!) is a lot of screwing up in so little time! am I that clumsy??

To tell the truth, I'm very dissapointed. I'm not even considering (even in case is not my fault) asking for replacements, because I have no way of knowing it would not happen again with some replacement pieces.

I am not really into LED's but I would want the little I have to work. I never wanted the hustle of battery managing beyond some very rare bling pieces, and most of them I have just as a collateral for getting other pieces in the same packages, or stretch goals I didn't really cared for (I did wanted the eldritch obelisk though!).

Now, while I avoided almost all LEDs in KS VI, I happily went just for one: the giant mushroom (evil mushroom grotto adventure pack) because it's the kind of piece where I really think makes sense being LED, and it's freakin' awesome and special. But that's changed now, I'll try and spend the funds allocated to that adventure pack elsewhere, don't know still what will be, but it's too late to get back the money I put for it. Still I'm happy I didn't finished my PM yet.

I hope you can bear with me a little since I am hard pressed to vent a little some, for sometime now, piled up frustration, I'll say that I miss the days where DF were = no problems. You saw something online, purchased it, and looked even better, not worse, and had 0 issues (aside some nitpicky things some people had with scales and color consistency, not me).

Now you have to think about how you really think it will look in the end product, so your mindset has to be kind of not trusting, which I hate. I, personally, have to worry about not getting LEDs (I am not saying they shouldn't do them, just want ways to avoid them easily if you want). Have to worry about not taking packs that use negative space to have some significant cover of game table, try to avoid floor magnets (I love wall magnets!), twisting of pieces due to try to make kind of complex puzzle matching of pieces that have to fit together perfectly to work (castles, operating traps, etc).

This is most than likely the wrong thread to say this, but it is where I am talking right now, and in this precise moment I feel tired and kind of consumed and don't feel like making a separate post for this, in part because there's nothing really new here that hasn't been said and somehow I feel kind of my duty to add my voice to the ones that have already said similar things.

My overall feeling lately is that DF is trying to be what they are not. They are not an electronic toys company, they excelled in the first place just by being superb sculptors and gamers, and I want just that: sculptures. Simple ones, 2x2, 4x4, you name it, with corners, walls, floors, simple elevation techniques, freestanding accesories (or magnetic, not really into this peg-thing), and minis, of course, I think their minis are awesome. They don't need all this "innovation" to be better than the other guys. They already are.

As has become custom in latest years, to avoid getting too much flak I'll add the kind-of-disclaimer I've read a lot lately from many DFers. To be honest, in my case, I feel is even more necessary given the fact that I am almost gone from this forum (except for lurking), so I should (must!) add the good and not only the bad. I love DF, since, I don't know, 15 years ago or so, I've been an avid collector. From Stefan and Jeff to all the überlikeable, hard-working and super-talented "new" crew. You guys are awesome, and don't get me wrong, DF is still the best and more beautiful there is, but little by little, I percieve there's have been serious tweaking with the formula that I think is going in the direction of screwing it up badly. Of course, you've got your undisputable numbers in latest KS to back up such tweaking, so... what do I know.

By the way... somebody can answer me something about the original questions about the batteries? I'm afraid I just got a little too much carried away and this was not the purpose of my post. Hope not to bother anybody. Sorry for the "rant" (is it a rant? I didn't meant to rant), just wanted to put out there that I am concerned too with some things that other DF comrades have expressed in other posts. I'm not saying anything new, I know. My apologies in advance if I come out too "bitchy" or "whiny" (by the way, consider that I am not a native english speaker, I'm from Spain).

My very best wishes for all, folks, whatever comes my way.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 pm

I only turn LED on when PC are in that room/tunnel etc.

I have never had an LED turned off in this way die.

The Chief Least Weasel (Pretendant) of Valoria
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

I left one of my catacomb corners on by mistake on a game day, came back several day later and it was still on - but a bit faint. Died a couple hours after that.

LED itself should last forever’ish.

mc1gamer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mc1gamer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks!

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm

The great thing about this LED system they decided to go with is they operate on CR2032 batteries.This is by far THE most common coin battery out there. Your most robust watches run off of CR2032 batteries. Figure that watch is running all day for months if not a year or two on one battery. But, I neglected to see what brand of battery was in it as I was just checking model type. I have about 200 CR 2032s on hand so was very happy to see that was the battery used. And, we have no idea if what we have were brand new, how long on the shelf or storage conditions. How long with the one you received last? Impossible to say. New one, led, at least a year on your stated use.

If you have the entire DoD you have about 54 LED lights. I have not busted into the dual light pieces but my assumption is they are run off of one battery for the two elements. So you can figure on roughtly 40 batteries in the entire system maybe. Just guessing not getting into my stuff to count accurate. That being said I would recommend buying them in moderate bulk. 10 or so. Amazon is great place for them in bulk. I would then recommend not to buy no name cheap stuff but not the most expensive either.

Just a quick look https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-2032-B ... B0042A9UXC could be a nice one. Look for around .50c a battery. Yes you can find cheaper and you can find more expensive.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 pm

I have heard that the DF crew has left them on during conventions (they turned them off at night though) and they have lasted either the whole convention (so 3-4 days) or most of it. That's all I know. :)
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”