Grid compatability... again...

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney.
Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria.
You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 5 Discussion Forums.
biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Grid compatability... again...

Post by biowizard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 am

In prior posts, I was partly wrong. With the current KS5 pieces design, we will be able to make "Pandora box" closer pieces:

KS5 pandora box closers.jpg
KS5 pandora box closers.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

I have even used them in the second design I just used that included 2 wall pieces with red columns on them.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 am

That's 2 alternative builds of how I would connect a fully tiled room to a passage connection, without the need to break the grid nor using a 3/8" wide gap/weird piece.

full-tiled room with passage connection.jpg
full-tiled room with passage connection.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

This second option even includes the possible use of two wall pieces 2 red columns on it

full-tiled room with passage connection & columns.jpg
full-tiled room with passage connection & columns.jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am

If you're asking for 3/8" by 2" floor, someone will ask down the road for a 5/8" by 2" floor to re-create the grid somewhere else in setups.

Then the following pieces are bound to come up:

1 3/8" by 1" floor.
1 3/8" by 2" floor.
1 5/8" by 1" floor.
1 5/8" by 2" floor.
1 3/8" by 1 5/8" floor.
1 3/8" by 1 3/8" floor.
1 5/8" by 1 5/8" floor.
3/8" by 1" floor.
5/8" by 1" floor.
5/8" by 2" floor.
3/8" by 3/8" floor.
3/8" by 5/8" floor.
5/8" by 5/8" floor.
or any other combination I forgot.

This is in my opinion a never ending story of weird shapes block.

I just suggest to put a door on top of the gap (that's what I will do), live with it or don't create them if you don't like them.

Isn't ironic to start a thread called "Grid compatibility... again..." and yet propose to break the grid later after someone nicely explains that it was never broken in the first place?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 am

It's more like something between 5/16" to 3/8", but I know what you're talking about.

Maybe a 1" long x 3/8" floor piece also for the narrow passages too?
NP to wall-floor-wall .jpg
NP to wall-floor-wall .jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 am

biowizard wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm
I don't understand what is a 0.5 floor piece
That's a 2 inch by half inch piece of floor tile (marked in green):

half.jpg
half.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't understand what is a 0.5 floor piece and how it would help walls from a "passage" piece align with the wall from a "room" piece. The 2 "pandora box" closer piece I posted would work but I suggest DF does not go this route since keeping passage pieces and room pieces separate is already working.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Mitch wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:02 am
grid.jpg
grid.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
In the image you assembled, you connected a "passage" piece (on the left) with three "room" pieces (on the right). You can see that the walls align correctly because the room pieces are bunched together and that they are connected to the passage piece by a 90 degree angle.

I now understand that perhaps you are suggesting that all single DF pieces could be made (including those with red columns on them) to have full-tiled squares on them? These type of pieces create all sorts of building problems as every piece protrude in its own 2"*2" foot print as well as the one right beside it. On the other hand, the pieces included in the passage - intersection add-on allows the possibility to build for the first time in DF history true 1" rooms and if you fancy only those pieces, go nuts with them and buy multiple sets with floor only add-ons.

Alternatively, I guess you could advocate to have 2" long passage walls be done with red columns sculpted on them? The protrusion of the red columns on top of a full-tiled floor would kind of defeat in my opinion the advantage of full grid access. Alternatively, you could ask for freestanding red columns + arches?

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:02 am

This was the top left image I was referring to:

top_left.jpg
top_left.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

Was able to get an image knocked up at home:

grid.jpg
grid.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 2247 times

Lets say the passage coming in from the left is a 2x2 with the free standing walls with tabs under them (I don't have any KS1/resin tiles so I'd be using the new Passages - Intersections pieces). Pinching your images of the new red column wall pieces, I have started to create a room with them (top and bottom right). The floor as you come into the room is also a 2x2 floor. This is the only layout I could use to get the grid to line up. The issue is the red column walls pieces have half an inch grid which would go round the room (which makes for a poor grid layout for those wanting grids).

Ideally you'd want something like this (but it too would have problems connecting with other walls unless there was a 2 x 0.5 floor piece):

grid2.jpg
grid2.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Wow. great pics Biowizard!

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:21 am

Jonathan wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm
The 1x1 Classic Dungeon Corners and 1x1 Classic Dungeon Walls might be a good to include with passages packs. They'd be useful in certain situations for lining things up.
I think you might be slightly confused as well. If ever you want to align walls from 2 adjacent pieces that are both a "room piece" and a "passage piece", you would need a very specialized piece that does not yet exist such as those:
pandora box closer pieces.jpg
pandora box closer pieces.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
For as long as you keep separate "room pieces" together in a group and "passage pieces" together in another group in your setups, you won't have alignment problems and won't need "Pandora box" closer pieces. In short, I would argue that room pieces not be included in a passage add-on.