Canadian Backers

By backer request, this Forum is intended for discussions about backer experiences with Package Forwarding Companies
NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Re: Canadian Backers

Post by NinjaMeesta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 pm

period3 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 am
Does DF stuff incur duty as well as sales tax? Do you know what the %age was?
I wasn't charged duty on my Castles shipment, just taxes. I think it was only 7% in taxes, but that's ball-parking it.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 am

Does DF stuff incur duty as well as sales tax? Do you know what the %age was?
NinjaMeesta wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 am
I used a packager forwarder for the Castles KS. I'm expecting an update on it heading to NS this week.
If you're on the fence about using a similar service, I'd be happy to relay my experience. :)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:44 pm

galahad wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm
my plan this year looks (subject to change) like I will use DF to ship a base pledge direct to my house. Addons I will get shipped (either trough a second KS account or pre-sale) to a bourder community about an hour away by car. It takes 3 hours to go and get my packages and return with them. I pay the duty (sales tax) and bring them back.

The KS shipping includes duty so it looks like a money saver this time for the Doom pledge I am looking at.
This is my general game plan, too. My main pledge (currently Dungeon Level IV, possibly Level V) will go straight to my Canadian address - for $130 including shipping and promise to cover all duties and taxes, this is good.

My smaller post-KS order (hopefully in Pre-Sale) will go to my Washington State receiving service. Usually shipping is free, and I pay $4 to $10 per box depending on size/weight. Luckily, I'm only about 40 minutes to the border. Sometimes I avoid tax/duty, sometimes not.

Rakeesh
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Rakeesh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm definitely going to be using such a service. Spending so much on shipping is just so disheartening in how much more KS5 I could get with that money.

mcmonte
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mcmonte » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 pm

I am also considering the Dungeon of Doom, so at $205 USD for shipping and duty, it's a pretty decent price.

However, the long hold-over KS4 is having right now at the Canadian border is really disheartening, and really has me thinking about the other options Canadians might have for shipping in the future.

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm

my plan this year looks (subject to change) like I will use DF to ship a base pledge direct to my house. Addons I will get shipped (either trough a second KS account or pre-sale) to a bourder community about an hour away by car. It takes 3 hours to go and get my packages and return with them. I pay the duty (sales tax) and bring them back.

The KS shipping includes duty so it looks like a money saver this time for the Doom pledge I am looking at.
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 am

I've been using Cross Border Pickups for the past year. If you live within driving distance of the GTA, you can just pick up your packages direct.
They're shipping rates are usually a flat rate. With KSIV I did come out 50 bucks ahead. (plus more of my pledge went to product.) Also I can pay for shipping a year later, which means...more doom for my wallet during the KS. :)
There are other options for shipping, maybe some other folks will let us know.

Mushu_Green
Orc
Orc

Post by Mushu_Green » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Which company did you make business with?

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Canadian Backers

Post by NinjaMeesta » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 am

I used a packager forwarder for the Castles KS. I'm expecting an update on it heading to NS this week.
If you're on the fence about using a similar service, I'd be happy to relay my experience. :)