Australian Shipping - ShopMate

By backer request, this Forum is intended for discussions about backer experiences with Package Forwarding Companies
seeamanaboutadog
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Australian Shipping - ShopMate

Post by seeamanaboutadog » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:17 pm

I believe this system works on smaller packages and can definitely be a foil to eBay prices for shipping from the US. I've seen old modules going for 40 US $ for postage and free in US so its a good option especially if A.Post re bundle a few light purchases.
I got the whole DoD as well as my lads buying to level 4 (ie 9 sets) and 30 or so addons as well ( mostly unpainted but I like the fanatics trove and mixed sets like that painted so I can copy paint job for the rest, besides the point...).
When large purchases are made you get duties over 1k of 10%, 5k = 500$Au so when that is added to postage suddenly DF postage is looking grouse....
No rest for the wicked!

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:19 am

DevGuy wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm
My first DF purchase was a Royal Stronghold Castle (late pledged), the shipping for which was OK considering I didn't need to pay customs fees. Add-ons, however, are so incredibly pricey to ship to AU that it's just not worth it (IMHO). I ended up getting add-ons, but if you consider the weight and size of the add-ons it doesn't make sense - it should contribute very little to the shipping fee when ordered in addition to a good-sized pledge. In fact, the RS made up 2/3rds of the box volume + weight, yet the addons cost more to ship than the RS (!). And it as shipped together

The problem seems to be that the shipping fees assume you are ordering that one box and do not consider nor grant the saving of consolidation. Which doesn't make sense. If one little box is $10 to ship, 3 of said little box should cost perhaps $15, not $30.

I'm really at a loss on what to do for Dungeons. I don't need any of this stuff (don't play RPG's), and I've wavered between a full DOD pledge + add-ons to just skipping this thing. I'm now sitting on a dollar. All my friends who I showed DF to were really excited but when they realised that each little addon added $x shipping each one said "not worth it".

I can't help but wonder why DF doesn't work out a way to increase their int'l backer count by making the purchases more attractive. Speaking for the "other side" it's not attractive.
I hear what you are saying DevGuy, The postage is insane all round and when you consider for a medium size pledge 20% is postage around $US 100 it just sucks to know thats a full encounters worth of money lost :(
Pray for Mojo..

DevGuy
Orc
Orc

Post by DevGuy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm

My first DF purchase was a Royal Stronghold Castle (late pledged), the shipping for which was OK considering I didn't need to pay customs fees. Add-ons, however, are so incredibly pricey to ship to AU that it's just not worth it (IMHO). I ended up getting add-ons, but if you consider the weight and size of the add-ons it doesn't make sense - it should contribute very little to the shipping fee when ordered in addition to a good-sized pledge. In fact, the RS made up 2/3rds of the box volume + weight, yet the addons cost more to ship than the RS (!). And it as shipped together

The problem seems to be that the shipping fees assume you are ordering that one box and do not consider nor grant the saving of consolidation. Which doesn't make sense. If one little box is $10 to ship, 3 of said little box should cost perhaps $15, not $30.

I'm really at a loss on what to do for Dungeons. I don't need any of this stuff (don't play RPG's), and I've wavered between a full DOD pledge + add-ons to just skipping this thing. I'm now sitting on a dollar. All my friends who I showed DF to were really excited but when they realised that each little addon added $x shipping each one said "not worth it".

I can't help but wonder why DF doesn't work out a way to increase their int'l backer count by making the purchases more attractive. Speaking for the "other side" it's not attractive.

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:56 am

@wildhunt, not sure why the pm doesnt work.
@panzer, using the link above to guess weights i wouls ay you are looking at 10KG or so but not 100% sure nor am i much good with dimensions.

TBH i dont think the forwarding is saving all that much if anything on my small(ish) pledge. I tried a similar estimate with stackry which is supposed to be one of the best and got aprox $170 again for an estimate. This is based on about 15kg weight and $460 USD (with dimensions as my earlier post).

I was looking at:

Main Pledge
1 X Dungeon Level I (includes Encounter Area 1) - Dungeon Gray ($82)
Encounter Areas and Add-ons
1 X 4. Deadly Corners - Dungeon Gray ($92)
1 X 6. Acid Bath - Dungeon Gray ($129)
1 X Single 12 ($18)
1 X Anchor Magnet and Gasket Set (24 Count) - Dungeon Gray ($16)
1 X Fanatic's Trove - Dungeon Gray ($99)
1 X Ledges - Dungeon Gray ($24)

Total 460 US$

I am seriously considering just copping the $100 USD (roughly AU 130) DF fee if i go ahead with the kickstarter at all.
Pray for Mojo..

panzerfaust101
Kobold
Kobold

Post by panzerfaust101 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 am

hey guys been looking at this thread for a couple of days - am I blind or is there any way to know pledge weights at this point - the package forwarding looks good - but without knowing the weights im not very confident to use it.

im buying pledge lvl1, plus arcane alcoves/ deadly corners/ remastered core and both passageway sets...

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:43 am

I did a rough calc for my last KS purchase: 2 x Erinthor Mountains sets. They are roughly 6kg each so that makes 24 lots of 500g at $4.95 per 500g.

Shopmate = $22.95 + (24 * $4.95) = $141.75.

I paid US$152 in shipping which is roughly $198 today.

Had I used Shopmate I would have saved around $56.

However if you use Sir Geekjeff's figures and total up Dungeon Level V (everything in the list except Lava Bridge) I get 97lbs which is 44 kg. Postage = US$182 (approx. AU$239).

Shopmate = $22.95 + 4.95 per 500g = $458.55.

Hmmmm... Don't know the dimensions of the package but they go with the weight if the package dimensions are small.

So... anyone else got any opinions on this?

wildhunt
Kobold
Kobold

Post by wildhunt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:08 am

I am trying to PM you strid3s but it says you don't exist.

wildhunt
Kobold
Kobold

Post by wildhunt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:01 am

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for the package to be in my hands before I confirmed anything to make sure.

My box was smallish as I only pledged for a bit in KS4.

3.4kg
12"x10"x6"

I had only about 6 add-on packs which were not overly big.

Result: Once PostMate received the package, it took 8 business days to get to me with no issues, delivered by Star Trak and tracking info the entire way.

Cost: $57.60 vs $137.00

Now that I have seen how small this pledge was (I pledged much bigger in prev KS) and what they wanted to charge me, I would never use DF again for shipping. They have out-rightly stolen money from Aussie backers based on their charges. I will be using PostMate for other KS as well I think, especially large boardgames as I think it would also be a significant saving.

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 am

For anyone interested i did an estimate on the shopmate website based off of the rough data found (Thanks Sir Geekjeff) at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4v855onga02l ... s.pdf?dl=0 with the following:

Weight 15kg
Length 43cm x Width 30cm x Height 14cm
Value of Item 460 USD
Sending From US

Total estimate worked out to AUD $171.45 which i believe is way more than DF which is aprox AUD $130

My thoughts are
* shopmate estimate is screwy but too much of a risk to use without more accurate data.
* would love wildhunts data.
Pray for Mojo..

strid3s
Goblin
Goblin

Post by strid3s » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:39 pm

I would also be very keen to know rough dimensions, weight and spend. I just signed up myself but its hard to do the estimate on the Shopmate site (esp for a newby to KS and DF) :)

Im probably looking at about 400 US$ max spend and the pledge L1 (zaltars) with maybe 3-4 add-ons unpainted.
Pray for Mojo..