PM in Testing!!!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: PM in Testing!!!

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Well I'm locked in. Got everything but the ants and Khri minis.

Farewell, wallet. I hardly knew ye. Darn doom demon.

:twisted:
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:22 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm
Rabbit Burner - if you reverse polarization just right... your mini could FLY!
oooohhh flying Bunnies of DOOM!

There you go Stefan - the first add-on for your Mini Kickstarter :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks to the endless hours spent fiddling with the immensely helpful user provided spreadsheets during the KS, I locked my pledge in yesterday pretty effortlessly. Looking forward to new toys (though not looking forward to painting it, haha!)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Rabbit Burner - if you reverse polarization just right... your mini could FLY!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 am

Without trying to derail this thread but feel this needs answering:
Talistran wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:48 pm
Agreed that they are fiddly, fall apart, and are toppled at the slightest touch. Simply adding a freaking double height post from the Advanced Builder and a wall is a far better solution. It isn't even funny how easy it is and how it SHOULD have been done. You also then can add any walls you want, windows, arrow slits, balcony, etc.

There is no advantage to the magnet crap pieces. I don't know how that got past them.
As I pointed in my post - magnets were chosen so you get access to the internal mechanism without needing to remove any other parts of the build which you would need to do with double height posts.

It does require you get your magnet polarities correct which is initially fiddly.

That hopefully brings us back on current topic :)

I posted the following in the KS5 comments section - food for thought I feel:

The embedded magnets is an interesting dilemma for those with magnetized base minis.
So I just took delivery of a A-CASE+ Miniature Wargaming Carrying/Display Case
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... splay-case
The concept of this case is that the shelves and frame are metal plates and you get a selection of magnets you apply to the base of your minis. This means the minis in the case are securely fixed to the shelves.
So while these magnetised minis will obviously work well with terrain trays, will there be a polarisation issue as highlighted.
The magnets are small and I tend to weight the bases of my minis with either coins or putty so any repelling might be offset by weight.
But the issue remains, the problem is that this is a user/backer issue, DF are providing a magnetic option that if we take its at are own risk if we have magnetically based minis.

What would be useful is if DF can tell us what the polarity will be used for magnetised pieces, as if I remember my O'level (an old British Qualification taken at 16) physics the polarity is only a concern to other magnets and so wont affect them 'sticking' to terrain trays.

So if I knew what the polarity will be for DF terrain I will then be able to add my mini base magnets to have compatible polarity.

This assumes the factory will be able to add magnets consistently with the same polarisation.
Having said all that I am using terrain trays for décor not as trays so will probably not go for the magnet upgrade :)

EDIT - just checked in on the comments section and there is a fair amount of information on what actually happens to magnet base minis on magnetised DF terrain.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 am

I try and do all of my pieces in the same polarization, so I agree with you.

Just, putting all magnets in the same polarization (particularly without any mistake) is not "free", it does require a conscious effort (and probably cost?) to achieve.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

It is an issue that does not need to exist, though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 am

Just as a fast comment, different polarization on pieces would NOT be that big of an issue.

There's not hundreds of possible polarizations, just 2.

That means putting away pieces, you stack them in 2 piles rather than one, each with it's own polarization. And finding the polarzation is just a matter of putting a piece there and see if ir sticks to this pile or the other one.

And if you have more than a few pieces, you surely put them away in more than one stack anyway...

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 am

WIth the *every piece magnetized* option polarity is going to be a very big issue that needs some tight quality control. Magnets will be attracted to the metal terrain trays regardless of which direction they are inserted into the pieces. However, when trying to stack and store said pieces, if the polarity is not identical in each and every piece, stacking and storing the pieces could become an exercise in frustration. I hope that DF & the factory are aware of this and will do everything possible to make sure every magnet is inserted into each piece with the same polarity.

edit: and I say this as someone who is seriously considering the *magnetized DoD* option!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 am

The magnets seem interesting, I will have to see how much they add to the pledge and what things can be magnetized. I hope it is really clear exactly what pieces are magnetized in each set and encounter and which are not. I am seeing no such info outside the PM.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria