No magnets?

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: No magnets?

Post by Thunder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Blu Tac works almost as well at the magnets - and no issues with polarity, stacking, etc.

Peace

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I find it interesting that no one from DF has weighed in on the polarity issue...

it would be nice to know that they have a plan/process/intention
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 am
The more I see the good and bad about magnets I now wish they would go back to letting us put them in ourselves. That way if I like them or want them we can use them but if we change our minds we can remove them. That will let us put them in and out as needed.
Then your best bet is to get unmagnetized. The pieces that can accept magnets will already have the hole pre-cast, so all you need to do in the future is get bulk magnets of the right size and glue to your heart's content.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:26 am

unclebilly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 am
The more I see the good and bad about magnets I now wish they would go back to letting us put them in ourselves. That way if I like them or want them we can use them but if we change our minds we can remove them. That will let us put them in and out as needed.
My feelings exactly.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 am

Phoenix Rising
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 am

I was seriously considering magnets as I'll be travelling with my layouts. But I'm concerned about polarity mismatches, and about how lightweight pieces like ledges (which I'll be using a lot) would act if I needed to use them without a tray, and about how the paint job will hold up under the repeated force of magnet-assisted collisions.

The magnet deal being offered is sweet - I'm just not sold on it yet.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 am

This is probably the only chance to get magnetized, though I know nothing of DF's thought process, apparently people can install magnets later if they want, so why stock magnetized. Well, after some certain number of extra sets they will need to make, of course. Looks like the KS is turning more to get it now not retail, after seeing the Castles sell out so fast, or at least many parts of them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I just had a thought....what is DF going to stock of KS5 after it ships to backers? Painted Magnetized, painted un-magnetized, un-painted magnetized and unpainted un-magnetized?

I can't imagine them stocking all four flavors, right? :?
Last edited by Harneloot on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 am

Yeah, I use Alea tools markers too (though not magnetized mins...LOVE their large sized ones!)

I am wondering how well the new pillared walls and corners from this set are going to nest anyway - certainly they can be stacked (baring magnet polarity issues) but I imagine not nearly as closely as DF1 tiles can be with the pillars sticking out?

This is really a hand-wringer for me - just can't decide magnets or no?~! :?

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 am

A lot of good points brought up here. I am second thinking them now. I did not think about it but I am glad it was brought up I use Alea tools so that IS going to be a problem for me. That and I forgot about storage. I store my Dwavenite nest, interlock, and stack also.