No magnets?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: No magnets?

Post by Oldent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 am

LadySabelle wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 pm
Another reason is the cost of the trays. It's easy to fixate on getting enough trays to put everything on one. That adds up quickly and can mean that you have to drop something else in exchange. I fell into that trap myself until I started to think about how slow my players are sometimes. There's no way we'd get through an entire DoD in one session. So I'm getting full magnets on 1 painted DoD with only a few extra water trays.
I have thousands of magnetized figures. I use metal brownie trays with plastic tops to transport and store them.I have began to convert my favorite board game tiles onto one foot by one foot 3D tiles. I use DF when possible.I have a tip for those of you who want to use the new magnetic trays.

This plastic box will hold a 1' by 1' and still close with a 2" tall tile on top.This would be ideal for those of you who want to reveal one section at a time. The paper craft box is available at Michael's. The regular price is $9.99 but if you wait for the sales and use coupons they are way less. I usually pay $3 for mine.I would suggest a box for every tray you buy. The Bog of eternal stench fits in a plastic box from Dollar Tree.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 am

What makes us think that magnets inserted into the base during the fabrication process are less likely to have the polarity reversed?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:50 am

I'm still not decided about it.

I have a bad experience with the magnets for ks4 pieces that I had to glue myself, others have the polarity inversed so it gave me work for something I paid.
-> If it's indeed just a hole in which they put the magnet = no ! Too fragile and I know what will happen next.
I do not want it at all. Df team can answer this question please ?
-> If the magnet is inserted inside the base into the fabrication process = a big yes because I won't have problem with it.

One of my best friend runs hiw own society into metallurgy (http://mic-saint-esteve.fr/index.html) and he has golden fingers. More, he's a dungeon crawl best friend fan I have and he can do me metalic trays the dimensions I wish or even a table. So the temptation is big. He can even imagine me a kind of metalic cabinet to stock everything. we discussed yesterday about it.

And last but not least Harneloot not all the pieces have the magnet option ... especially the elevation cubes. One of the add-on I want ... so it's a problem if I wanna save a tray with everything on it ! Why by the way there is no magnet option for that ?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:55 am

I am magnetizing...

I am only getting one tray at this time. Will get more if i like them, or buy cheap(ish) flat metal and paint gray/black.

I am very worried about storage and problems. My other tiles nest, interlock, and stack so i can get a lot in a small area. I sincerely hope i don't regret the magnets, but the upside is fairly awesome, even if half the time you simply use them as tiles without metal.

So yeah, it is a leap of faith.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 am

I am really not interested in having magnets on my Dwarven Forge.

Perhaps if magnets were part of Dwarvenite in the beginning of KS1 I would have gotten them and would have gotten them in KS2 - KS5 but having some with magnets but most with out just seams worthless.

But even more important for me is with the way I set up for games I really do not need magnets even if they are priced great.

But if you want to reveal each room one at a time I say get them because they are really priced great.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 am

I have no need for magnets because I am not going to use the trays. I prefer to model water with resin.

[URLy=http://s980.photobucket.com/user/CRTray ... r.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 pm

That is a lot of my feeling too.

I prebuild everything and have little to no fog of war

Storage of magnetics worry me a bit

Cost of the trays themselves. I would rather get more dwarvenite

Gravity is free.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 pm

Another reason is the cost of the trays. It's easy to fixate on getting enough trays to put everything on one. That adds up quickly and can mean that you have to drop something else in exchange. I fell into that trap myself until I started to think about how slow my players are sometimes. There's no way we'd get through an entire DoD in one session. So I'm getting full magnets on 1 painted DoD with only a few extra water trays.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 pm

The best reason I've heard:
Some people use magnets on their minis bases. (I tried this for a while.) These can allow storing minis on sheet metal, or adding colored magnetic bases to indicate conditions/wounds/etc.

If you have magnets on your minis bases, they will be drawn to/repelled from the magnets in the terrain.

Another problem, especially with the ledges, is that built-in magnets will complicate stacking those on each other, or on magnet-containing tiles.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 pm

I am getting all mine done. The cost to have them done does not seem that much to me. That and I feel you can always use the magnet ones like they don't have magnets but you can do it the other way around ;)