Some Official Anchor Magnet Info

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Some Official Anchor Magnet Info

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

I would worry about ledges sticking together, but not getting any of them this time around. I can see storing smaller pieces on trays, or metal sheets put into regular drawers.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

William wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm
Why not just store the ledge pieces (or other fiddly magnetized bits) attached to a tray or two? ;)
Ding ding ding! Brilliant idea!

Plan for Ledge magnets was to have flat ones inserted into a slot on the straight side parallel to the floor, which will be hidden against something when in use.

Ledges will probably be later in the production run, so probably no pics of those available yet.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Was there an option to get magnetized ledges ?
because if there was then it would be embedded in the piece as they are reversible.

So storage could be an issue but the main issue to me is if you use them on a non magnetic surface - oh like a wooden topped gaming table - then using edge pieces together may result in them clumping together like some dwarvenite rock elemental or buckyball golem (?) and be completely unusable.
Yes, there is a Pre-Installed Magnets option for Ledges. This makes me nervous...they must be completely embedded, right? So Magnetized Ledges on anything but terrain trays will clump together?
Well for the bunnies this is not a problem as we went magnet less in all our choices.

Honestly I suspect they wont clump together on a non magnetic/metal surface as the magnets are only strong in close proximity, but it must be a risk that they do :(
I am the Game and I want to Play

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Why not just store the ledge pieces (or other fiddly magnetized bits) attached to a tray or two? ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm
because if there was then it would be embedded in the piece as they are reversible.

So storage could be an issue but the main issue to me is if you use them on a non magnetic surface - oh like a wooden topped gaming table - then using edge pieces together may result in them clumping together like some dwarvenite rock elemental or buckyball golem (?) and be completely unusable.
Yes, there is a Pre-Installed Magnets option for Ledges. This makes me nervous...they must be completely embedded, right? So Magnetized Ledges on anything but terrain trays will clump together?

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Maybe that is how the earth elemental in the Erinthor Mountains was created - one cataclysmic rare earth magnet singularity event. Don't get your DoD too close or it will pass the event horizon and helplessly pass into the gravitational vortex where the last thing you see is the jade eye of Sysul disappearing into the nether world. :ugeek:
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I am the Game and I want to Play

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Regardless of polarity issues the walls should stack pretty nicely. They are "L" shaped so alternate their orientation in the stack... flip them so they are stacked wall to floor to wall to floor ... then magnets will be separated by non magnetic pieces.

eternityshard
Kobold
Kobold

Post by eternityshard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Having read these polarity concerns, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be more effective to insert just steel into the pieces, and devise some sort of magnetic "terrain tray".

Regardless, I was already iffy on adding magnets to *all* my pieces, and reading this just confirmed that if I'm doing it to all, I shouldn't do it just some. So I just changed my pledge and dropped all the magnets I'd selected. That freed up enough cash to get two more (small) addon sets, which I think it more worth it.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

geekjeff wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:15 am
There may be a little repulsion, but it's not like your drawers are going to be spring loaded and pieces will explode out when you open them. :lol:
Really, this is my concern!

You make some valid points... I just have this vision of stuff sticking together like some dwarvenite buckyball golem and taking over my storage cabinet so that i need to subdue it each time i try to access my collection.

Perhaps i am being paranoid ;)

Please don't point out that the columns will make them not stack as nice as KS1 - I have limited space and have created a mentally induced blind spot to that fact that i would not like to remove until AFTER it has arrived at my house... thank you for honoring and respecting my denial of reality.

Looking at it from a standpoint of weight, it seems that the only pieces where it may be a problem are the pieces where it is most useful - namely ledges. I could see them becoming small dwarvenite clumps, but i think the benefit outweighs the inconvenience there most of all.

Still perseverating, but i will probably make the leap of faith.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939