KS Encounter Ideas

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by thedmstrikes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:30 am
Natural vaulted Bridge - similarto the lava bridge but more dramatic, narrower, higher (steeper), dex checks would need to be made to cross it. With a section that can be removed to break it.
Rabbit Burner, to leap from your idea, does anyone remember the third Indiana Jones movie when he had to walk across the "invisible" bridge? It was only one person wide. All the other bridges we have are for double people to walk across, we need one for the "tightrope" walker in all of us...a ledge without a wall...

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Lordhawkins wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am
Showstopper for me would be the PC's looking to cross an underground lake/river and come across an old dock with a boat...Charon style.
I have a campaign starting soon that this idea is going to feature into heavily, inspired by the ghost barge from the last Bones KS. I think my boat/dock needs are covered for the time being, but water/water hazards are absolutely something I need more of.

seeamanaboutadog
Kobold
Kobold

Post by seeamanaboutadog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 am

I have canvased this on the KS site but another piece that i believe needs visiting is a transition piece between negative space and DF pieces. I mean a effectively a right angle triangle in profile to create a shore as opposed to a 'cliff'/bank. these are also needed for the roads to negative terrain of a grass mat at the edge of a town or village where road pieces are being used. I guess one could mod an existing piece by grinding it down on one side to get the desired effect though.
No rest for the wicked!

Lordhawkins
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Lordhawkins » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

Showstopper for me would be the PC's looking to cross an underground lake/river and come across an old dock with a boat...Charon style.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:39 am

In KSV we loved the concept of the Golem walls and in fact when they first showed them as Golem wall statues we suggested in the KS comments that they should do a standalone Golem as if the statue has come to life - I can still hear Lady S laughing as she said she would put the idea forward - knowing full well that they already had it in their SG arsenal.

So for underground Caverns the equivalent of KSV Golem Walls could be used as entrance pieces for A stronghold or territory markers for all sorts of underground denizens.

They don't necessary have to have stand alone version like they did for KSV but it would be Cool :)
Having played many adventures back in the day where statues came to life.

In one adventure we systematically decapitated any statue we saw only to be run out of town by the locals (or in fact an irate DM) and had to rethink our hooliganistic attitude. Was funny that we had to disguise ourselves and use some very dodgy accents to go back into town and the DM insisted that we all spoke for the rest of the session in those accents or have to role a save.
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 am

One of the adventures I wrote many years ago originally started in a friendly stone giants home with a crack in the floor that was the entrance to a pest problem that's tunnels lead to a giant mushroom forest near a Drow village that was up river to their enemies the Duergar. I had written it many months before a random encounter with a army of Duergar ended with all twelve of my player's characters being imprisoned. Not wanting a TPK I quickly realized that the adventure hook that originally had a group of adventures leaving the village of Drow that had caused the pests to flee and retreat into the giants home, to defeat the even more powerful city of Duergar also could be played in reverse. After a nasty bit of torture at the hands of the Duergar's Drow slave who was both very good at torture and enjoyed it far more that even the Duergars could stomach to watch for weeks. The party was shipped off up river to kill as many Drow villagers as they could before they were killed themselves or so the Duergar expected.

The point of this little sadistic story is to say that while my average cavern adventures are more mindless monster, creatures of the dark and primitive humanoids and less Drow and Duergar centric. I think that if the info DF gathered from the poll that was taken last year has helped lay plans for future KS to venture into the villages or cities of the Drow and Duergar this KS might be a fun place to do a couple sets of Drow and Duergar accessories. They also could be useful to Dungeon owners who want to add a different accessory look.

I personally want things like monster nests, rubbish piles, littered bones, primitive bedding and other such accessories first, but a taste of these two iconic races might be evilly nice.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:29 pm

If we're talking magnets in the cavern walls, let's just come to it, it's time for a magic mouth. SOOOO iconic. DF needs to put that baby to bed!

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 pm

natetaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am
  • What are the kinds of pure role-play encounters that you love to DM? And what role-play encounters do your PC’s seem to enjoy the most?
  • What natural hazards would you use most often in a cavern setting? Any really specific hazards that wouldn’t come out often but would be total showstoppers when they did?
  • What kinds of puzzle/riddles/challenges do your players enjoy tackling which would also be found in a cavern setting?
1. In terms of role-play encounters, honestly, it's hard to state specifically since the best ones seem to be the ones you're least prepared for. It really depends on what your players are feeling that day. That said, I do like to occasionally go against type. For instance, the giant who is actually friendly, or the goblin who simply insists that you try his soup. But, the thing is, a lot of these encounters are not really the kind of thing for which you really need the terrain set up. So, to the extent that we are talking about encounters that are geared toward the use of DF products, anything wherein the terrain really plays an important role either through cover, hazards, high grounds, etc.

2. Lava and water are the most obvious ones, though chasms and cave ins are really good too. For showstoppers: A water/lava fall would be super awesome. Also any kind of mine setting with the classic mine cart rail being really fun.

3. Personally, some sort of platforming puzzle could be really cool with DF terrain. As for riddles, I'm assuming you're referring more to a terrain based riddle as opposed to the classic "Riddles in the Dark", but this is where rune puzzles, lever chambers, and the like can be good. Or you always have the classic Goonies Piano type puzzle/riddle with the disappearing floor. Or the Indiana Jones style puzzle floor where you have to correctly answer (and spell) the riddle to get across.

Just my two coppers.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Please give us a large bridge over a chasm!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

DullandRusty

Post by DullandRusty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Talistran wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:46 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm
KS2 gave us the Elevated Bridge 5-EBR

How about a longer one with metal inside. With metal inside we could have magnetic stalactites/piercers to break away and spear our adventures (Even if the DM did not have them break off it would allow a bridge to have more than a few or no medium sized stalactites) or magnetic LED crystals that would work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge or magnetic rocks that just look like a normal part of the cave that would also work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge (with the way magnetic items stick together you could have a nice big amount of rocks to come down in an rock fall). Heck a DM could glue some cotton ball string to a magnet as a spider web coming down from the bridge.
OUT-FREAKING-STANDING IDEA!
seconded! this being magnetic would give multiple options of customization to utilize the piece in different ways allowing for maximal use of the piece. I also like the creative idea of having a stalactites magnetic from it so you could have them fall for a trap as mentioned.