KS6 - Puzzle Teaser Round 2

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS6 - Puzzle Teaser Round 2

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:31 am

We are with William on this - in that a combination of options is best 2x2 whether with a floor filler chasm piece or not.
We think is important to be capable of having curves as 2x2 as sometimes you want to use the outside of the curve as the inside of your cavern. (we know what we mean ;))

We are however confident that DF will provide the means to achieve what we are after :)

We were going to make a pun on Noah but as unbelieving heathens we decided it might be taken in bad taste even though we think its funny.
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 am

LadySabelle wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 am
personal opinion on the matter.

Hello LadySabelle

I think you are misunderstanding, filler pieces would just be small floor pieces, like a chasm piece.

The below pic is a simple cavern with a solid natural column of bed rock in the middle.
Cavern.jpg
Cavern.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 494 times
What makes me want floor filler pieces is that the shapes I can make those solid natural column of bed rock in the middle would be greatly increased with them. Also as you state caverns walls do not have two sides, that is true right up to the point where two different caverns start to merge due to errosion. What it comes down to is options and if our pieces can be used in two ways that is way better than just in one way. IMO

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 am

I just want to chime in with my own personal opinion. Caverns generally don't have 2 sided walls the way dungeons do. Back fills don't make sense for a cavern since they would actually be solid stone. The back side of a wall is only sculpted to make the whole piece look more visually interesting. If DF sculpted the corners as a solid 2" the pieces would be too thick to produce at a price most of the backers could afford. I personally don't want to see back fill pieces that would take away piece count slots for more interesting pieces. I can understand why some of you want to utilize both sides of a cavern wall to save on table space, but visually I think the negative, unused space makes a more realistic build. Again, this is my personal opinion on the matter.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 am

I like when cavern tiles are full 2x2 but some tiles just really do not work as full 2x2, and if they will not then I ask DF to please make chasm pieces that can be used as floor filler pieces to make them full 2x2.

The Narrow Cavern Passage Pack 5-U End Cap can not really be used inside a build with out ugly holes around it but it might look really ugly as a 2x2 tile when used at the edge or end of a build. Chasm/filler pieces can fix this issue.

So as I said back at the start of the year. Please DF make filler pieces for all the KS2 tiles that are not a full 2x2.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Sorry Mitch. I would have not commented. but views/comments started to seem lopsided.
Plus, we don't have a (B.S./Chat) type area here. So...?

Back to Nate's next clue dump... ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mitch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm
While we are on the topic of curves
Ooh err... :oops:

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:10 pm

KS-2 was the only KS I could afford the full 10 sets (unpainted) and I added a lot of the add-ons, so I ended up with a very nice mix of both corner sculpts.

Plus I had added a whole bunch of round corners add-ons in KS-1, so I have a ton of the corner floor fillers.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

William wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm
I'm glad the cavern corners don't 'all' have a full 2x2 footprint.
Wanted to get the other sides view in.
There are a few ways to fill the missing corner floor space if need be and some full 2x2 corners too, but if you want the non-full 2x2 corner what do we do without them? I for one am glad there are both types.
I do not have anywhere near enough of the 2 by 2's
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm glad the cavern corners don't 'all' have a full 2x2 footprint.
Wanted to get the other sides view in.
There are a few ways to fill the missing corner floor space if need be and some full 2x2 corners too, but if you want the non-full 2x2 corner what do we do without them? I for one am glad there are both types.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm
While we are on the topic of curves, i want to vote for more 2x2 pieces (as opposed to curved with negative space outside them) - I am far less distracted by the little square points on the outside of my caverns than i am annoyed by how few curved pieces i have that can use in the middle of a larger cavern to divide the space up - Freestanding walls are cheap and a godsend, but i really wish more of the KS2 pieces had the full 2x2 footprint
Agreed. I even started modding some of my curves from KS2 to have the backfill part so they had a normal 2x2 footprint. I wish they all had it.