KS Encounter Ideas

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by Oldent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

Fog monsters are cool! I am afraid they make a mess. Painted pillow ticking or even cotton wool is often more practical.

This is the bridge I started yesterday. I base coated it. PVA/white glue takes longer to dry with foam because the air can not get to it. I will dry brush it tomorrow.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 am

I also have a Fog monster on the way and had planned on making my own geysers if necessary... DF geysers would be awesome and easy to simply drill out. if they came already with a hollow or tube down the middle, even better.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 am

thedmstrikes wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 pm
jazzman wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Cave geysers. I wonder if you could wire up a hobby train smoker unit inside one for realistic steam or smoke plumes.
Jazzman, there is a company making small vapor machines called fog monster, would work really well for what you are describing. They should hit the market this summer...
Geysers would be a fabulous option especially as thedmstrikes points out Real Games FX have produced the Fog Monster that has the capability to make the geysers vomit forth torrents scalding hot water!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9011
https://realgamefx.com/
I am the Game and I want to Play

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 pm

jazzman wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm
Cave geysers. I wonder if you could wire up a hobby train smoker unit inside one for realistic steam or smoke plumes.
Jazzman, there is a company making small vapor machines called fog monster, would work really well for what you are describing. They should hit the market this summer...

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 am
What about an encounter that uses swarm upon swarm of vermin or insects pouring out?

Vermin shall not pass :!:

Bones is so cheep DF should not try to compete directly. The encounter would be fun.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 pm

TOO LATE :!: I have started down the rabbit hole yet again. It will get very deep :lol:

I would like limestone rather than Hellscape. Some Helscape rooms would be nice.

I think rock faces will be possible with the new mountain set. I think there will be a need for blasted rock faces for mines. Williams Basalt coulms and Lava shoots would also be nice.

I decided to build another Moria bridge. It was a lot faster than trying to find a photo on floppy disk.

I made this one 10 inches. Note the laser cut Moria entrance on the left. This bridge is not dry enough to illustrate. Use the lava base tile. Make two parallel rows of elevation/mountain tiles along the edge. I like three high but two will probably work fine. An elevation set and encounter. Everyone needs a few bridges so ordering multiples would be fine by me.

Why not make the log bridge from the old resin set. The tree bridge from the 30's version of King Kong would be cool.

Mushu_Green
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mushu_Green » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I would really like a dwarven city carved in the stone of the mountain !

+over 9 000 for a rope bridge and any kind of bridge

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

How about floor pieces with tiny colored mushrooms all over it.

A giant pile of treasure - a dragon hoard. Or even floor pieces representing waves of gold pieces and treasure. Would work in caves or dungeons.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Keeping some new cavern pieces, especially any elevation pieces, "generic" enough to use with exterior mountains would be also be welcome!

I am thinking more stony/rocky caves than limestone... caves made of limestone or having limestone as a component are the ones with the most stalactites, stalagmites, flows and other decorative formations... I am thinking plain stone, earth, rock... kinda like mountains, but inside.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

There have been pile of excellent ideas listed (I wish some of you DMed near me) but for me caves as opposed to excavated or built dungeons are all about narrow choke points and elevation changes. Our caverns can not be full on spelunking as this does not lend itself to group combat but I think they look best when they look as realistic as possible. That being said I don't recommend poring a bucket of fine silt slurry all over your set up!

Besides straight and curved sloping ramps I would like to see slides, chutes and chimneys for elevation changes. Chimneys (the climbing type, not the fireplace type) built into elevation blocks would be particularly useful as you could put 2 of them facing each other to create a long vertical pipe. They would also work very well incorporated into a mountain set up which would work great for DF economicly as there seems to be a big appetite for mountain terrain given their reception in KS4.