KS Encounter Ideas

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by ShaynePatrick » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Nate, the dirt version of some Cavern pieces, in case I have not been clear would be awesome. That floor terrain on Burrows would look great as a Cavern floor. Or at least the floor of some Cavern pieces.

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 am

Jeff, you're right, of course - it is probably the visual element that bothers me with the larger races - but imagine having bigger burrow pieces to mix them with? Imagine large burrows that transition to DoD Borrows, and back THAT setup would be great.
I like any sort of transitional piece that gives me an opportunity to pair pieces from different sets that I might not have considered pairing before. Their is a piece in the lava cave set that transitions beautifully between cavern and lava - I love it, it's one of my favorite pieces to look at - I just wish there were bigger versions.
Transitions make the modular nature of DF terrain even more modular.

ZayrZas
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ZayrZas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 am

+1 on transition pieces.
I would also love a cave entrance of some sorts that could be used with Erinthor Mountains.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm

ShaynePatrick wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm
Again, I LOVE those pieces and their cut-out for eggs, traps, etc. I hate that most of it limits us to single-file marching order.
Good feedback on the transitions and other ideas.

I will just toss in 2copper on the Burrows though - you don’t HAVE to play them like that with houserules, unless you’re doing something super Grid Centric like Pathfinder organized play.

Smaller minis can fit 2 ranks abreast in there, I plan to houserule that smaller races (gnomes/halfling/dwarf/goblin/kobolds/etc) can manuever more easily in those tunnels, while the Talls cannot and something big enough would have a movement penalty due to crouching in rough terrain. This is the natural environment of some races, time to let them shine!

And for bigger fighter folk, this is a perfect martial challenge - bring some reach weapons so you can assist from behind! Adapt your tactics! Time for rangers to put those Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot feats to work.

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm

So, a few things:
1. Mine tracks in the ground (as part of the piece). Think of this like river pieces, but with old track instead of water or lava.

2. Some pieces that transition from Cave to Dungeon of Doom. You have a piece or two like this in the old set, but I would like to see a few open ended pieces (like the swell pieces) so I can make the transition to dungeon as large as I'd like.

3. Transition from Cave to Ice Cave would be bad ass.

4. A variation on the Burrows... I know, I know, you're going to tell me that the Burrows in DoD under performed. I have a guess as to why. I loved the pieces, they look great, but I didn't buy them. Why? In general the encounter value of them sucks...why? Because at best, you have about a single file line, so combat slows WAY down and only a few people participate. I know, very realistic (I really do like the look and feel of the pieces), but as a DM, I can't have players bitching that they can't get in combat. NOW, some cave to Burrows-type pieces that are not as narrow, but could be as wide as caverns...THAT I would buy! It could be like the Burrow a Purple Worm might make, smooth, big, and dirt-like, as opposed to a small single file line Burrow. There could be some transition pieces from large Burrow, to DoD Burrow, and THAT would make me want to buy the DoD Burrows, but I can't have a whole night's encounters where only two people in the front participate in combat.

Again, I LOVE those pieces and their cut-out for eggs, traps, etc. I hate that most of it limits us to single-file marching order.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:54 pm

So, during last night's game, the intrepid adventurers climbed a ladder to get to an upper level ledge (insert caverns). The adventurers had to risk transportation in an iron carrier by pulling themselves across a crevasse hanging from a heavy, rusty chain. I would love to see DF make an encounter like this. I could see the chain being attached to posts and the carrier could hold 1 or 2 minis.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 am

thedmstrikes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am
kitenerd wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I would love to see a darknantle or lurker with corner supports tht could be set over a mini - that is wht i want
I got the plastic u-shaped pieces used to set up displays in retail stores - large batch when the Container Store here went out of business. Come in 3 sizes. Use them for flying stands and for this. They set up over most minis and they are semi-invisible...

TLW
Would you mind posting pics of you find? I am approaching the time to get something to represent flying creatures and PCs on the board and this sounds different. Thanks!
Oops, no need to post, Kodiaks post a couple after yours is what I have. the U-shaped thingies.
TLW
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 am

thedmstrikes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am
kitenerd wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I would love to see a darknantle or lurker with corner supports tht could be set over a mini - that is wht i want
I got the plastic u-shaped pieces used to set up displays in retail stores - large batch when the Container Store here went out of business. Come in 3 sizes. Use them for flying stands and for this. They set up over most minis and they are semi-invisible...

TLW
Would you mind posting pics of you find? I am approaching the time to get something to represent flying creatures and PCs on the board and this sounds different. Thanks!
I sent myself an email and I'll try once I get three briefs done...

TLW
WeaselWarGod

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks KB, I kinda like the combat tier since they do not have a telescoping version. I was originally thinking of what PCs would use, but that reminded me that the bad guys (and creatures) get to fly too...

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm
Yup, that's just a telescoping antennae. I know you used to be able to get them from Radio Shack; I don't know where to go now; maybe Walmart or the like carries them? I bought a collection that had a wide variety of custom space ships and they used the antennae to show the ships at different heights in space. Just get a wood block (or something else) that has enough mass to keep the thing stable, screw the antennae in, and hot glue a pedestal for your mini. If you can do a magnetized mini, that would work best.

I sound like Oldent.
:D I used to do that before the tune of the century :D :D

One of my old friends used to use 1/72 model kits mounted on telescoping antenna.We used wooden bases. We used them for WWI and WWII and spaceships. The Sci Fi supply guys made stands for Micro Machine figures :D I think the photo is from 1997 that was the year we changed the club ASWA conventions name to Warfair
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!