Other (List in Comments)
No votes

Total votes: 155

Ken Mattson
Kobold
Kobold

Re: What minis do you MOST want?

Post by Ken Mattson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 am

I voted for Valorian personalities, mostly because I get the sense that much of DF ouput is related to Valoria and its always good to let an artist follow a dream of seeing his imaginary world come to life. Personally, I have only just started doing terrain and miniatures, so I need adventurers and basic monsters the most. The only minis I own are DF lizardmen, a full set of Wizkids undead, and a giant undead dragon. I need so much more, but I will never paint, so have to buy pre-paints. I can’t see myself ever getting city or castle terrain; so townsfolk, guards and the like aren’t for me.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 am
This is why i like the Valorian Personalities - they can be used outside of Valoria, but will really make the Valorian adventures sing!
Based on the poll we need the Valorian Personalities in their village garb, in their village garb seated, sleeping or dead and in their adventuring outfits then DF will have hit all the high notes perfectly.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 am

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 am
I remember in the old 4E days when people would list every monster in a module so they could try to get all the correct minis.

That was nuts.
Yes, but it is cool

If i lack a mini for an important encounter i will often hunt down just that one on eBay and pony up a few bucks to make things extra cool (ok, i am weak willed and will use any excuse to justify buying more toys)

I like what the Lost Dungeons of Xon folks set out to do - build a module where all encounters could be built with DF and Bones - Reaper actually had a SKU for the set of bones minis you needed to play the module - that type of cross branding is clever and very cool

Pathfinder is doing this with flip mats and minis releases (but they never manage to get the timing quite right) and i am sure it helps sales of all their product lines

This is why i like the Valorian Personalities - they can be used outside of Valoria, but will really make the Valorian adventures sing!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 am

I remember in the old 4E days when people would list every monster in a module so they could try to get all the correct minis.

That was nuts.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm
collecting takes time (or deep pockets)
So very true.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi blunderbus i am late to the party...

Welcome to the world of GMing - Frog God has a free PDF on their site called “a primer on old school gaming” or somesuch it is a quick read and one you and your players should read regardless of what system you play (im a pathfinder guy i love my rules but they cannot get in the way of the game)

Minis are a two fold issue -volume and quality - for quality learn to paint and pick the quality minis and paint them special (heros big bads recurring npcs and villains) - after that you need a giant pile of minis bones with an ink wash (the last core set which hasnt shipped yet was a really nice assortment) or d&d, pathfinder minis - look for large poorly photographed lots they go cheapest on a per piece basis - the bulk of my minis cost less than $1 each - and resign yourself to occasionslly using an ogre to be a giant - or orcs to be bugbears ;). Once you get a bunch it gets easier to be more accurate but collectibg takes time (or deep pockets)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:59 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm
One more thing Blunderbuss, since you are new to miniatures nothing says you can not play with unpainted minis (no matter what the mini snobs say) or minis with just a quick inking to bring out the details and then paint them as you go. Some times if you put a NPC mini down for the first time and then use good old theater of the mind to describe the colors of what he or she is wearing for the players and then for the next game you have painted up the minis it can make that mini very special to your game. Or perhaps the low level party fights a unpainted/inked dire rat and kills it with a stab to the face the next time they face a dire rat you might have painted it with a wound to the face as a nod to their earlier days or perhaps a return of a rat that is more than it appears to be.

Just a thought to get minis to the table faster.

PS if you do go with bones minis they will need something to bring out what details they do have because they have more detail that one would think from their unpainted look. Unpainted they look really horrible IMO
Bravo! Someone had to be brave enough to be the first to say it here.

I"m a gamer definitely not a painter...I like painted figs but not the process of doing it myself.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:47 am

So much helpful advice! Thank you all; I will definitely have to sit down and review all of this in detail when I get a chance!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 am

Also look into making a wet palette -
Check this out, it'll save your paint from drying.
https://youtu.be/96mjmqWTPfM?t=11

Happy painting... :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:50 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 pm
If you start to paint bones, you need a basecoat as the bones can be unfriendly to mini paints, even Reaper ones. I have found the DF paints to be excellent for basecoats on bones minis.
I have actually had the opposite experience. The bones seem to hate my acrylic primers, but they take my Vallejo and craft paints directly without a hitch.

As to beginning painter advice: buy good brushes, do not cheap out on the brushes. Good brushes make things easier and with maintenance will last quite a while. On that note, get some of The Master's Paintbrush Cleaner. It doesn't matter where you get it from, but it cleans the paint from the bristles very well. You can also use a very small amount watered down to reshape the tips and bristles to like new quality. I also use a wire brush wash stand to hang my brushes in while drying, it helps ensure the tips stay properly shaped since they are point down and not touching anything. There is one shown in this article near the end. You can usually get them cheap at an art supply store.

If you can go to a convention that has classes or paint and take that is also a help. Gen Con has given me the opportunity to ask more experienced painters for live critique as I paint. I hope to attend a number of mini and terrain related events this year.