KS6 Launch Date

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS6 Launch Date

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm

We remember that KSIV was affected by SXSW but this year has a lot of differences.
One - is that GenCon is much bigger and could have a massive impact on backer numbers
Two - the team is bigger and we fully expect 24 hour presence on the KS comments (sorry Lady S and SirGeekJeff)
Three - more of the sculpts will be done, pictures taken and videos shot.

Would love to say it means we can save more funds for it, but usually some other KS pops up that forces us to back!

Bottom line we trust DF to deliver a stand out KS even by KSV standards.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 am

I am ok either way, but any delay allows me more time to increase my potential fundage.

Regarding yearly vice bi-annual KS, I bet a big factor is finances. Can web store sales alone cover the biz expenses (payroll, warehousing, etc.)? I doubt it.

Animewarped
Orc
Orc

Post by Animewarped » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 am

I personally would love a bit more time between big KSs. Gives me more time to pump the bank account back up. Or maybe they can start doing big ones every other year with a smaller KS in the middle. It could give them a chance to get out more of the unique encounters without having them lost in the folds of emptying wallets like the Burrows did. However they decide to do thing, I know that ( baring death ) I'll be there pushing what money I can into their great products :)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am
For me personally, July is a horrible time. We have a couple week long camping trip planned and we are busy every weekend. June was not a great time for me but July is worse. Oh well, I know the world does not revolve around me. I will likely just make a placeholder pledge and figure things out in the pledge manger.

I will miss hanging out in KS comment and participating in the live streams, but that’s the way it goes.
Based on the latest findings by astrophysicists, you are incorrect...

the world DOES in fact revolve around you!

You are the epicenter of all that is good and fun and noble... we are all just spinning in orbit of your awesomeness

have a nice day!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:26 am

I think this is a great idea. Spreading out large campaigns is generally better for people's wallets, making sure people have KS5 before asking for a buy-in on KS6 is savvy, and getting things really polished and organized before launch is wise. Hopefully this last point will ease concerns about running the campaign during a huge con - the team will be busy, but there will also be less to do.

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm totally fine with this news; thanks for the heads-up. I definitely feel much better knowing I should have my KS5 shipment before pledging for KS6, and I don't like the idea of making another big pledge before getting mine in. There's nothing wrong with delivering later next year.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:48 pm

I can understand the concern about running the Kickstarter during a major con. Two huge differences compared to KS4, though:

One, the delay means that WAY more content will be finished and approved before the Launch button even gets pressed. Having seen behind the scenes a bit of two DF Kickstarters, for Castles they were flying by the seat of their collective pants, many thing were being completed as the campaign progressed. My gut feeling is that this was true for the earlier campaigns too.
For DoD, the prep work was way more complete and polished and it showed. That looks to hold true for KS6 as well.

Two, while many key DF personnel will be promoting the heck out of things at GenCon, not all of the Kickstarter staff will be there (someday, sigh.) Some of your friendly neighborhood Comments/Forum/PR trogs will still be working comms throughout, and Jay is the one who actually pushes all the Kickstarter updates so I think those should be unaffected.

Even the SXSW Dwarvenaut promotion and associated events got some new eyes on that Kickstarter I think, and in the gaming world that’s small potatoes compared to frickin GenCon. This has the potential to huge, there are great things in store, and I can’t wait!

Except uh, we have to wait.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 pm

I just hope the KS will extend at least in the beginning of September...
I'll have little time to follow it in August :-/

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:35 pm

I know let’s wait for late September. That is a much better time for me. Just kidding (sorta/not really).

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

That worries me a lot also. I think the DF team has too much oversight, so when key people have too much to do, things do not get done. It really is too much to expect anyone to do Gencon and do a KS at the same time, whoever it is. Now if someone was at the office in NY with full authority to issue add-on maps and update the web page that might work better, but I think DF's main deciders will be at Gencon
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria