A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Re: KS6 Launch Date

Post by Phoenix Rising » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 am

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 am
Still does not answer why shipping from China to Japan is nearly the same price as China - USA - Japan.

Or shipping times.
USA delivery is cheaper than almost everywhere else. Heck, it's cheaper to get product from the EU to the US than it is to get it within the EU - and that's before VAT.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:51 am

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 am
Still does not answer why shipping from China to Japan is nearly the same price as China - USA - Japan.

Or shipping times.
China is still angry that Japan is cooler. ;)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 am

Or shipping times.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 am

I am not stating this as a fact but as a guess, that if multiple full 40' vans of Dwarvenite were shipping to other countries like they are to the US based warehouses that handle DF's products then closer geographic location would over take the relatively low shipping cost/ware house distribution system in the US. Basically almost everything we use in the US is made in China so the non stop cargo flow makes shipping to the US cheaper than it really should be. Plus the volume purchased by DF fanatics in the US is far greater than in any other country. Of course this could all be a catch 22. But if I am not wrong you just need to convince thousands of more people in your country to buy 3-5 thousand dollars of Dwarvenite every year.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:35 pm

In my case ordering form the Ks is the best way to make sure I get what I want (or more realistically am willing to pay/can afford at the time) There is very little KS discount for me living in Japan. Even though it is coming a single country away, and not shipped from China to the USA and then most of the way back, there is very little shipping savings. Add in having to wait until later in the shipping process (when the USA is well underway) for any shipping to happen at all.

I have made multiple orders from the states, some large and some small, so I know what shipping is from there to here. However, I get very little of a discount considering that my items are not being shipped across the pacific and handled once more in the USA. Why is that?

Another bone to pick is that the first shipment most USA backers are getting is not coming international. I have to wait until the whole thing is available and get it all in one group. I was not asked about this, and wonder why I do not have a choice. Frankly, it is treating USA customers better, I see no other way to see it.

All in all Kickstarters make less and less sense for me, which is a shame as they are so much fun to watch.

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Talistran wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:17 pm
1) There is not much of a discount anymore. The price difference between kickstarter and retail is very small nowadays. Back in KS1 and KS2, sure it was a big discount. But now? 10% sometimes, rarely significantly more than that.

2) And we're paying for it a year in advance, which means that any discount is eaten up in financing fees (either you paying for it on your credit card or you are losing out on your earnings from your portfolio). Free shipping is the only discount for US customers, which while nice, it is not earth shattering.

So, for me, I do not order during the KS to take advantage of a non-existent discount (after accounting for the above).
Talistran wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:17 pm
A) I still have THOUSANDS of dollars of castle pieces that I want and a bunch of resin I would order. But I cannot... because it is not in stock and has not been in stock since the KS (for the castle stuff) or since the original run / last restock YEARS ago (resin stuff). Occasionally, a small part of what I want is restocked, but the rest is still out of stock. So do I order it then and pay separate shipping, knowing that the rest is someday going to be restocked (probably separately as well)... or do I hold out as the website is updated every few days and miss out on someone else buying the extremely limited stock.

B) The shitty inventory system is why I order during a KS. Myself and many like me understand that the ONLY TIME YOU CAN GUARANTEE THAT YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT, IN THE QUANTITY THAT YOU WANT is during the KS. And unfortunately, you won't know that you want another 25%-200% more until after you get your stuff... but by then it is too late as it is out of stock (see above problems).
This rings true. I’m relatively new to Dwarven Forge, and I certainly appreciate being able to save a little on Kickstarters, but the product that they offer isn’t cheap, no matter how you slice it.

I wasn’t around for the days of KS I and KS II, but it seems that recent Kickstarters aren’t really the amazing bargain that they once were. You save a little, and get free shipping - both of which are nice, but neither of which are so significant that the webstore becomes an unreasonable option. Especially if the webstore brings about less ire from the wife, who is more willing to overlook multiple small purchases throughout the year than a huge, four-digit splurge (even if the total spent comes out a little higher).

The bigger issue is that webstore restocks seem comparatively few and far between. This, more than anything, is why I’m inclined to just save and go all-in for Kickstarters. As Talistran said, it’s really the only way that I know I’ll get what I want in the quantity (if not time frame) that I’d like.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Gargs454 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm
A lot of people are likely to spend as much as they can on the KS to take advantage of the discount,
Bold/Highlight is mine. Two points here, neither one is a complaint... simply an acknolwedgement.

1) There is not much of a discount anymore. The price difference between kickstarter and retail is very small nowadays. Back in KS1 and KS2, sure it was a big discount. But now? 10% sometimes, rarely significantly more than that.

2) And we're paying for it a year in advance, which means that any discount is eaten up in financing fees (either you paying for it on your credit card or you are losing out on your earnings from your portfolio). Free shipping is the only discount for US customers, which while nice, it is not earth shattering.

So, for me, I do not order during the KS to take advantage of a non-existent discount (after accounting for the above).
Gargs454 wrote:
and then not have much left over for a web store purchase, then as funds start to build up they might be ready to make a web store purchase only to hear a new KS is on the way, so instead start saving for that, etc.
True for some. But many have funds after the KS to make orders. I certainly do. And after receiving my kickstarter order, I now have a better idea of what I want and I try to order it. Unfortunately, I fail for large portions of it. I would spend hundreds and thousands more, but I cannot... because of...
Gargs454 wrote:
This then gets compounded by the inventory issues, etc.
DING DING DING. Two points here, again.

A) I still have THOUSANDS of dollars of castle pieces that I want and a bunch of resin I would order. But I cannot... because it is not in stock and has not been in stock since the KS (for the castle stuff) or since the original run / last restock YEARS ago (resin stuff). Occasionally, a small part of what I want is restocked, but the rest is still out of stock. So do I order it then and pay separate shipping, knowing that the rest is someday going to be restocked (probably separately as well)... or do I hold out as the website is updated every few days and miss out on someone else buying the extremely limited stock.

B) The shitty inventory system is why I order during a KS. Myself and many like me understand that the ONLY TIME YOU CAN GUARANTEE THAT YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT, IN THE QUANTITY THAT YOU WANT is during the KS. And unfortunately, you won't know that you want another 25%-200% more until after you get your stuff... but by then it is too late as it is out of stock (see above problems).

Anyways, just some comments. Hopefully they aren't taken as gripes, so much as feedback for a better customer experience :) I love DF, the characters leading it (characters in every sense of the word, haha), and the product. I just want more.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm

As stated above, the delay will be good for some of us and bad for others. While it likely helps me as I am now in the process of selling my current house/buying a new one, I can see where it would be harder for others.

I will say that I think having the proverbial ducks more in a row at the start of the KS will help with the delivery schedule. It sounds like there were some changes made to some of the sculpts this time around, which is of course going to delay things more and at least the elevation trays seemed to be in the design stage even while the KS was going. Ultimately I would agree that I would much rather DF overestimate how long it will take to deliver than underestimate even though I am confident that they will deliver at some point.

As for the revenue issues if they were to spread the KS's out to every other year, I do understand that potential issue, though I sometimes wonder if the issues of the web store vs. KS are a bit of a chicken or the egg. A lot of people are likely to spend as much as they can on the KS to take advantage of the discount, and then not have much left over for a web store purchase, then as funds start to build up they might be ready to make a web store purchase only to hear a new KS is on the way, so instead start saving for that, etc. This then gets compounded by the inventory issues, etc. Obviously DF knows FAR better than we do how much they make through the web store and how easily they can in turn afford to push the bigger KSs down the road.

All this is to say I do have full confidence in them and cannot wait until the next KS, especially if it means I am fully settled in the new house when it arrives!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

LordDust wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:04 am
Oldent wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 pm

I definitely get the walking issue. When I am doing well I can hike miles in a day through difficult terrain, but my nerve condition can kick in and make a small flight of stairs an ordeal. I have still been resisting, but a cane is likely in my near future!
I interested in Photos of the Dwarven Forge display and games.
Don't resist the cane it will keep the walker away for a bit longer.
I usually can walk ok. The cain helps me get up and down.However,if I do too much I have to sit.There is never a chair in sight.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!