KS6 Launch Date

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS6 Launch Date

Post by kodiakbear » Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 pm

I like my caverns to be like caverns.

Which is to say I like my caverns to have large rooms and twisty claustrophobic passages, small rooms and wide passages. I like them wet and I like them dry, I like them flat and I like them with elevation. I like the ease of throwing down 2x2 tiles fast but I also want small advanced tiles and large special tiles. I want it all so this weeks cavern is not the same as next monthes cavern, I want options in Dwarvenite Caverns and if I had a huge huge table I would want to fill it full of caverns and I would also want to fill it with tons of winding passages because both are great fun, and if the game is fun the space is never wasted.

More options, that is what I want from KS6.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Me too. It'll be a while before I can use this stuff for roleplaying, and open spaces are much easier to incorporate into e.g. skirmish games.
pacarat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 am
Agree on the open space versus narrow twisty passages. For the same reason I did many more of the larger burrow intersection pieces and fewer tunnels, and bought extra catacomb floors.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Same here. Prefer open environement. A good look is cool, but usefulness is better. As someone who will get for about only 800$ of Dungeon of Doom stuff because I think original dungeon lacked flairs a bit, the return to caverns got to be REALLY great. New water pieces will be appreciated, but I'm eager to see everything. To me, the original caverns sets already avalaible from KS2 are not lacking at all for what I use them for. I predict KS6 will cost me between 300$ to 400$ at most. Only way I think KS6 could cost me more is if they bring on a really cool sub-theme. KS4 costed me around 200$...if I'm not counting the Erinthor Mountains set that is.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 am

Agree on the open space versus narrow twisty passages. For the same reason I did many more of the larger burrow intersection pieces and fewer tunnels, and bought extra catacomb floors.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 am

Law wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:41 am
unclebilly wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 am
I like a lot of people do not want stuff that was offered in previous a KS. I have plenty from them. The store has them if people want them that is what a KS is for to pay for the making of the molds. What I want in new stuff to add to the other KS. I have gone up in my backing each KS starting from KS 1 with $1500 all the way to KS 5 with $7000. That is it I am caped out now and it will be hard pressed for me to convince myself to spend a lot on this KS.
Commas, people, commas! I spent a minute thinking "you like a lot of people? you like a lot of people who do not want stuff that was previously offered? did you mean to say you THINK a lot of people don't want that stuff, or did you meant to say you like THAT a lot of people don't... OH, you meant that YOU, LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE, DON'T..."

;)

Just funnin', hope that didn't come across as nasty.

Just funnin', hope that didn't come across as nasty also ;)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun May 27, 2018 9:55 am

Personally, not only do I want the bling without taking out a second mortgage, I'm also looking forward to stuff that hasn't been shown yet, but has been hinted at.

I'm not wild about the designs of the new cavern pieces. I don't LIKE a lot of complexity, it means I have to fumble through too many specific pieces to find what I want, and it limits what I can do (because in order to make something I need piece X, so to get enough of what I want I have to buy 15 of piece X, but that means I almost never use 10 of them because I only needed them for that one idea, so I have to jettison that idea, etc. etc. etc.) And I don't like having to bring 15 boxes out of storage any time I want to build anything. No, I much prefer simple engineering, with just "drop the pieces and put them next to each other" and minimal puzzling about this way and that. (Even though, I admit, finding unintended and unexpected ways to puzzle things together can yield exciting results, and sometimes the coolest layouts feature unanticipated combinations and uses of pieces...)

PLUS, on equal footing, I like my caverns to have a large footprint. A lot of twisty, claustrophobic passages may be realistic, and may look awesome, but it's not my preferred approach. It leaves a lot of table space unused, so it's inefficient, and it makes it harder to cram STUFF in there -- characters, monsters, treasure, objects. I want to place stalagmites and shrines and statues and purple worms and stuff in my layouts -- narrow claustrophobic spaces make it harder. I like the original resin cavern design -- larger pieces, open spaces, good balance between flexibility and ease of use.

We've been told that the new caverns will have a mix -- some small, puzzle-type pieces for complex builds, but also some larger pieces. I really really really like the bigger pieces. And to the extent I'm excited for KS6, it's for the promise of those.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun May 27, 2018 8:02 am

I am hoping it works out this way. I also hope that simple sets of in-demand pieces end up in the store post-fulfillment. I have some hopes for retail for KSV but no idea what DF will do.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun May 27, 2018 7:41 am

unclebilly wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 am
I like a lot of people do not want stuff that was offered in previous a KS. I have plenty from them. The store has them if people want them that is what a KS is for to pay for the making of the molds. What I want in new stuff to add to the other KS. I have gone up in my backing each KS starting from KS 1 with $1500 all the way to KS 5 with $7000. That is it I am caped out now and it will be hard pressed for me to convince myself to spend a lot on this KS.
Commas, people, commas! I spent a minute thinking "you like a lot of people? you like a lot of people who do not want stuff that was previously offered? did you mean to say you THINK a lot of people don't want that stuff, or did you meant to say you like THAT a lot of people don't... OH, you meant that YOU, LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE, DON'T..."

;)

Just funnin', hope that didn't come across as nasty.

I think DF team has definitely picked up on this thought. They've indicated that the new KS is going to have ways to get the fun bling without having to go deep on pieces you already have - and even without having to get full coverage of a big gaming table. You just want some awesome cool pieces? You'll be able to get just them -- they won't be the prize in the cereal box where you have to fill up on cereal first.

That said, there's always a chance SOME cool pieces will be kept as capstones for the die hard whales who've gone mega. But DF has heard from the fans who want to make sure the KS isn't just a bunch of basics in which you have to go ten boxes deep before you can get the really kewl memorable piece.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat May 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Talistran wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 am
This is usually where we point out that the next KS is 6 not 2.5 - but that gets a little tiresome and we know that DF will provide a wicked set that will at least have most of the new unique pieces. I just hope they do it early so as to circumvent all the comments saying that they should do one.

Please note that this is a particularly polite post with not a single mention of moaning .........damn!
And this will be the first point where I specifically point out to you that it is not moaning when longtime collectors and enthusiasts politely express their wishes. I am glad that you have faith; I also have faith in DF in many things. And one of those things is that they listen to their customers.

And as one of those customers, who certainly isn't alone by the number of similar requests, I would appreciate it if my voice can be added to this board without you calling it "moaning."

I wish the best to you and your band of bunnies.

If you have further comment on this particular comment, I would appreciate a PM be sent so as to not distract from the rest of the conversation.
Ok fair point well made.

Had massive post explaining our point of view but decided to be less of a knob (a British word - funny trust us)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Me too. Part of it is cost, but the other part is that I don't need stuff to cover a 12' table. I don't have a 12' table, or a place to put one. Buying anything beyond what can fit in the 3'x 6' vault of my gaming table just seems like a waste.
Talistran wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 am
Wow, that is a lot!!! I suspect the top pledge in KSVI will be ridiculously high like it was in KSV.
After all the talk, I REALLY hope that DF has a "Little bit of everything pledge" that isn't $3000+ dollars like last time.

You want a monster cavern with tons of extra floors, walls, and corners... COOL. I am sure that DF will have some monstrosity for you. But I am really desireous to not have to buy 200 new walls, 200 new floors, and 200 new corners just to get all of the new stuff. 10-20 of each will be plenty along with 2-4 of all the new cool stuff... add that to my existing 10 cavern sets and I'm set... without the $multi-thousand price tag please :)