Goblin
Goblin

Re: Storage issues

Post by Ski_ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:36 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:39 pm
Vegomatic wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm
As a side note: I also pull all the batteries and put them in the organizer... as I never know how long the pieces will sit between uses.
Hmmmmm, I really should do this...
Yeah— I also should follow this advice also...
I did get a bunch of batteries just in case though.

Personally I just have a bunch of stackable bins with latchable lids (from container store) organized by type: walls, floors, special such as LED, interior dressings, etc. granted— the number of bins is way more than I care to admit. I have yet to decide if I will keep the DOD separated by encounter or not— but I assume not.

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Harneloot, mine do not. I just isolated them in total darkness to be sure. If you are concerned, instead of pulling all the batteries out you could just unplug the led - it will break the circuit and not drain the battery if your switch is not 100%. Though entropy comes for all things in the end - especially batteries.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
As a side note: I also pull all the batteries and put them in the organizer... as I never know how long the pieces will sit between uses. Which reminds me... I have not tested all the new pieces and pulled their batteries yet...
Anyone else noticed that the long wall pieces with two LED fixtures stay dimly lit even when the switch is turned off? Might have to start doing what Veg suggests above...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:58 pm

And remember your storage changes drastically after you make massive retail order after massive retail order
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
As a side note: I also pull all the batteries and put them in the organizer... as I never know how long the pieces will sit between uses. Which reminds me... I have not tested all the new pieces and pulled their batteries yet...
Hmmmmm, I really should do this...

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm

I will be separating magnet walls and LED walls so I con more easily find them. For Dwarenite I just throw all non-decor in a big bin and I don't want to have to search. I think I am also going to separate the passageway walls with the metal tabs so they don't get bent.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 pm

For what it’s worth:

So far I’ve settled on prioritizing “delicate” pieces like LEDs, spike traps, heads on sticks, etc. in a box with dividers to protect them. I have magnetic pieces grouped together. Then I have a box with all the “decor” pieces - doors, floor traps, thrones, tables, piles of gold etc. Corners get their own box because they are hard to stack. Everything else floors, walls, passages etc. fits nicely in my “main use” box.

My plan for set up is to reverse the order: main box pieces, then add corners, then add decor and delicate pieces.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Interesting thoughts... perhaps you need more categories with stricter definitions?

Mine, within a category like dungeons or caverns, are basically broken up by structural vs small. All the small pieces and decoration (columns, furnishings, magnetic pieces, some stairs, 1x1 and 1x2 floors, etc...) go in a compartmentalized container like a tackle box or crafting organizer. The bigger pieces are what I think of as structural... I have smaller boxes, and/or tubs, and/or cardboard dividers in my larger bins. With my caverns I have elevation pieces separated from walls, corners, and floors. For city builder I have marked the bases of magnetic and led pieces so they are easy to spot. If I had a large enough quantity (which I will with the next part of the DoD shipment) I expect to use smaller box/tub to hold LED dungeon pieces, and maybe a separate one for magnetic. So when i sit down with my big bin, I set aside the small boxes of special pieces and build from the loose pieces in the bin... when I need an LED or magnetic, they are already separated and easy to pull. Depending on how just how much I am getting with the DoD I may have separate bins for some things (like elevation/daises).

I find the color on the bottoms really helps when I don't feel I have enough to justify a separate container. It also helps when putting things away when I do have separate containers. I take my DF to wherever we are gaming... sometimes it runs pretty late so we just scoop it all into the big bin... the colors also help with sorting later.

Don't know if that makes sense or is clear... but hopefully it gives you some food for thought.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Storage issues

Post by Law » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 pm

So for KS, I kept the bread and butter pieces (walls, corners, floors) in one big bin, and the decorative pieces (doors, columns, tables and chairs, treasure) in a small bin.

Cities, I grouped by type. Bin for streets, for roofs, for Tudor walls, for stone walls, for posts, for doors, etc.

Castles was a little tricky in places, but mostly the same - big towers, little towers, battlements, round battlements, walls.

Now - it feels harder to draw lines. The boundary between "basic building" and "decorative" is less clear. Do LED pieces go with the regular build stuff? There's so much of it, and I want it as part of my "phase I" layout assembly! On the other hand - it IS decorative, and I kinda want to keep it isolated so I can readily find a torch wall when I want one. Ditto magnetic. What about ramps and elevation pieces? Is that decorative? All the mini floor pieces, 2x1 or just the half-inch squares? Are those "decorative"? They're more like Advanced Builder Set pieces - more functional than ornamental, but at the same time more specialized than generic.

Still trying to figure out how to put this all away in a manner that's efficient and useful.