What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

I really want new water and/or lava tiles, and don't really care about new negative water/lava sculpts.
18%
I really want new negative water/lava sculpts, and don't really care about new water and/or lava tiles.
16%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new water/lava tiles.
48%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new negative water/lava sculpts.
12%
I do not care about any new water or lava options in KS6.
5%

Total votes: 110

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Talistran wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 am
Be interested to see if strokes change when we get the trays in out eager paws.

We are still in the both camp and excited to see how well the trays work, the builds we have seen with the acid tray feels our commitment to buying enough trays to make a moat around our castle is fully justified.

But we reserve the right to change our minds completely if they don't come up to expectation.
I have acid tray in my hands and it did not change my mind. The Water Tiles from KS2 are beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, I already use negative for things in my build. It just isn't as pretty.
Fair enough, I agree KS2 water ties are amazing, looking to get some more. But it would not be cost effective for us to buy enough to provide a moat all the way around our castle using tiles. So hoping that terrain trays will do the job and will be stunning at the same time :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

There are places where negative space just won't work. Tiles are needed for those places. A larger variety of shore/bank tiles is highly desirable. We are getting the pieces to build rooms and large water spaces in almost any configuration we can imagine. That ability needs to be extended to include tile based waterways.

Note that when i say "water" i mean water, lava, acid, healing "potion," darkness, fire or any other "flowing" substance imaginable.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:11 am

I've played with the acid tray and various ledges, floor pieces, bridges, sewer pieces, etc. It's super fun and I love it. I am excited about other options.

That said - there's no substitute for how cool fully 3D environments are. The trays, like any 2D approach, are a shortcut.

They are more flexible, easier to store, and cheaper. The last two points also make it much easier to get a lot of table coverage out of them. The first gives you a lot more options. With the resin sets DF had to do a river set, a lake set AND a lake expansion set - all of which were expensive, take up a lot of space, and STILL limit your options. Only this many inside corners, sorry! Only this many outside corners! The negative space builds are so much more versatile.

i wouldn't want to see fully sculpted tiles abandoned altogether. They're too cool. But I'll buy the tiles for negative space builds anyway - they're just so awesome.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 am

Take the open 2z2 water tiles already existing.
Make them 4x4.
50% of the job for new water tiles done (for me anyways).

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:18 am

Talistran wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

I have acid tray in my hands and it did not change my mind. The Water Tiles from KS2 are beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, I already use negative for things in my build. It just isn't as pretty.
I don't own any water tiles (came too late to the feast) but they do look pretty amazing. my only hesitation with getting any (and i recognize its picky and maybe just to console myself for lack of said tiles) I'm not a big fan of seeing the joins in the water where the tiles meet each other. I'm not sure if the early ones were just poured at different heights or its some of the builds being wonky... fully recognize this is a non-excuse and totally pathetic criticism... the colors are amazing (same with the lava). I'm hankering for a 12x12 terrain tray with the same colour, gloss and depth perception as the older water tiles (almost holographic).

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm

William wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:16 am
So, a spillway would also be a good piece to transition the two types of water construction.
Great idea. I too like negative space builds.. BUT I CAN DO THEM REALLY WELL ALREADY. I can't sculpt and paint new water tiles. :)

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 pm

jgardner44 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I also would love to see the lake and river sets converted over to dwarvanite. Those 4 inch tile sculpts were amazing and pictures of them converted me to love Dwarven forge terrain back in the very beginning.
Agreed. More water tiles, bigger water tiles, and more options to make our current water tiles not so "square"

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 am
Be interested to see if strokes change when we get the trays in out eager paws.

We are still in the both camp and excited to see how well the trays work, the builds we have seen with the acid tray feels our commitment to buying enough trays to make a moat around our castle is fully justified.

But we reserve the right to change our minds completely if they don't come up to expectation.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 pm

jgardner44 wrote:
I would really love to see the Hellscape 1 and Hellscape 2 (4 inch tile) sculpts converted to dwarvenite. Those lava sets were amazing!

I also would love to see the lake and river sets converted over to dwarvanite. Those 4 inch tile sculpts were amazing and pictures of them converted me to love Dwarven forge terrain back in the very beginning.
WOW! Good to see you on the boards again!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 pm

jgardner44 wrote:
I would really love to see the Hellscape 1 and Hellscape 2 (4 inch tile) sculpts converted to dwarvenite. Those lava sets were amazing!

Wow, welcome to the real world :lol: :lol: again.
Nice to see your handle again, hope all is well. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )