Other (List in Comments)
No votes

Total votes: 155

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What minis do you MOST want?

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 am

As others have said we do not know the Valorian personalities yet. They might all be adventuring types or perhaps they are city NPCs heck some of them might be sitting down. Another thing that will effect the mini KS is when will it happen and when will it deliver? If it happens right after the caverns KS many KS6 pledgers are going to be expecting minis that fit in with caverns, on the other hand if it starts right after KS5 delivers and can deliver metal minis in a couple of months KS5 owners might love to have minis to use in their new dungeons, or heck it could be all about minis that really work well with city and castle terrain as a way to give them some love along with a restock of KS3&4 items.

While this poll is great fun it is just a small sampling, but even asking the question of all the KS5 pledgers might not help if the content and or timing of the minis KS has no tie in to KS5.

And many of the votes might change if the minis are being done in Dwarvenite.

I am enjoying this fun topic but I think at this point our votes are a little uniformed and that includes my vote for Dwarvenite villagers, which I really do want more of.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:40 am

I have enough dwarves to populate a decent sized army or to staff a castle. I have nearly as many drow. I have enough undead to field a full on army for most war games. I have groups of other stuff. One issue is that I bought some cheap lots off ebay and they arrived in the midst of a personal storm of crap alongside a KS I had pledged. I need to drag those out and sort through them...

Personalities are fine by me, but they will be of more interest if I can use them in more varied ways. I also don't know if they will be villager types, nobility, adventurers, etc. As Oldent has pointed out, it is hard to judge their worth and my own excitement since that category is a little nebulous to me. If the personalities can be painted another way in a fashion that will make a second set of use I could buy one prepaint and one to paint later. I don't think I can see myself buying more than that though.

One idea to make more money to help make the KS a bit more successful could be to offer an alternate paint of a popular existing set or two. For example an alternate color lizard men, rat men, or villagers set. I realize some will just buy unpainted and make their own, but I think there is a market for the prepaints. I would likely buy an alternate color lizard men set myself. Re-using an existing mold would mean you only need to cover production and materials. I realize not everyone would be interested, but I think enough might be to make it worthwhile. Of course this is pure conjecture since I really don't know how many orders would be needed to justify bring a mold back out.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 am

I, too, have almost too many fantastic looking adventurers and threatening monsters. I now want the common folk. The overlooked. The banal. The most needed minis ever.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:55 am

Sorry if my point wasn't clear.

Personalities are individuals so duplicates are pointless. Lizardmen, Orcs, Ratmen, Zombies, etc. you can never have too many of. Personalities will sell (at most) 1 pack per customer, but with seated minis, monsters, guards and the like some people will double and triple up on (and some of you way more than that!)

I could never build a setup like you did, but i can easily drop 30 orcs on a party (or 40 drow, or 100 kobolds or...) and more than that i really don't need... I have well over a thousand prepainted plastic minis, probably over 2,000 but i try not to think about it. Oh yeah and then there are Star Wars minis... thank god i stopped keeping a spreadsheet... i really don't want to know ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Oldent, I can field armies that size for LOTR, dark ages, ACW, WWII, and Stargrunt. The topside DF stuff makes excellent terrain for at least 3 of these. However, I have very few people that can seat in the stands to cheer on their team. So I would like seated villagers most of all.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Valorian personalities do not really interest me at all as without the modules or backstories, they are basically generic adventurers or townsfolk. I would prefer something less already done. \Maybe DF could add backstories to existing minis to make them more Valorian?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 pm
I would like to ammend my choice to voice STRONG support for Valorian Personalities. I cannot believe how far they are lagging in the polls. As DF begins to produce modules and adventures, it will be awesome to have the key characters for these as minis. (Paizo has done this - they are GREAT and most can be repurposed as other characters, nobles or whatever) The minis bring the stories to life and having a pack of Valorian personalities would make running the modules so much more immersive.

The downside is, you only need one pack of Valorian Personalities but you want 5 packs of Lizardmen.

Plus lets not forget minis that interact with terrain - Blowpipe Lizard and Hanging Ratman are by far the coolest DF minis. Rogue peeking around a corner? Woman leaning out a window? (mother yelling at kids, maid dumping chamber pot, strumpet soliciting business) Farmer on a ladder? Bard sitting on a wall playing? Someone coming up through a trapdoor? We have grappling hook, what about a figure climbing (old school Batman style) up a wall? Hiding figure (crouched assassin)? There is a lot of potential here and it makes sense for DF to exploit this aspect of the market since they make terrain.

The Valorian Personalities are not doing well because we do not know anything about them. :!:
I think a Stepen and his dog figure would be popular.

I absolutely do not want more generic adventurers or soldiers figures period. I have more than enough lizard men, ratmen and Monsters. I would consider specific figures for a module but not very hard. I might buy a set of personalities but will not buy plastic pre painted lizardmen period. I would also point out that role players are not known for purchasing army size sets of figures. I know some of you have big collections.

How many of you can field both sides in a battle this large?

Can you field more one than one period or scale? The people that I know who have very large figure collections are not role players.

"The downside is, you only need one pack of Valorian Personalities but you want 5 packs of Lizardmen"

Five packs of Lizard men won't approach the volume necessary to justify the cost of the molds for plastic figures.
Small production runs are more cost effective in metal.

I think Dwarven Forge should concentrate on what they do best.
However if DF wants to do a small volume figure kickstarter I would suggest they avoid generic figures
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:11 pm

love the idea of prisoners - i have slaves in chains, but no real beaten down sitting clutching knees to chest kind of guys

a healer with her hands on a prone victim would be great as well - or pouring a potion in an unconscious reclining figure he is supporting

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pm

I would also like to see a couple of cowering minis to put in jail cells. Maybe a smaller race and a human sized. Another good one for a jail would be the inmate scraping his cup on the bars.
Still want some church clergy and parishioners in various poses too.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I would like to ammend my choice to voice STRONG support for Valorian Personalities. I cannot believe how far they are lagging in the polls. As DF begins to produce modules and adventures, it will be awesome to have the key characters for these as minis. (Paizo has done this - they are GREAT and most can be repurposed as other characters, nobles or whatever) The minis bring the stories to life and having a pack of Valorian personalities would make running the modules so much more immersive.

The downside is, you only need one pack of Valorian Personalities but you want 5 packs of Lizardmen.

Plus lets not forget minis that interact with terrain - Blowpipe Lizard and Hanging Ratman are by far the coolest DF minis. Rogue peeking around a corner? Woman leaning out a window? (mother yelling at kids, maid dumping chamber pot, strumpet soliciting business) Farmer on a ladder? Bard sitting on a wall playing? Someone coming up through a trapdoor? We have grappling hook, what about a figure climbing (old school Batman style) up a wall? Hiding figure (crouched assassin)? There is a lot of potential here and it makes sense for DF to exploit this aspect of the market since they make terrain.