Other (List in Comments)
No votes

Total votes: 152

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: What minis do you MOST want?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 am

We suspect a base coat and wash will make them look so much better on the table and really wont take much time - and then paint up those minis you like playing with.

Need to checkout the Reaper paint tutorials - but cant stress enough about the sheer volume of painting videos on you tube.

we concur with the sentiment that DF minis are OK the paint jobs do not going to stand out.

We also agree with using Ebay as a ready source of prepainted minis, just they can be very hit and miss with the standard of painting - lets just say the term 'pro-painted' on Ebay does not necessarily mean what it means elsewhere.

And it cost us a fortune to replace the comics mum threw out after we left home.
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:57 pm

William wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm
I think it's that Bones being bright white tends to wash out the detail, without at least a wash. ;)
Yes, thank you, that is what I the mini snob meant.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm

I think it's that Bones being bright white tends to wash out the detail, without at least a wash. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:55 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm
One more thing Blunderbuss, since you are new to miniatures nothing says you can not play with unpainted minis (no matter what the mini snobs say) or minis with just a quick inking to bring out the details and then paint them as you go. Some times if you put a NPC mini down for the first time and then use good old theater of the mind to describe the colors of what he or she is wearing for the players and then for the next game you have painted up the minis it can make that mini very special to your game. Or perhaps the low level party fights a unpainted/inked dire rat and kills it with a stab to the face the next time they face a dire rat you might have painted it with a wound to the face as a nod to their earlier days or perhaps a return of a rat that is more than it appears to be.

Just a thought to get minis to the table faster.

PS if you do go with bones minis they will need something to bring out what details they do have because they have more detail that one would think from their unpainted look. Unpainted they look really horrible IMO
Mini snob

;) :lol:
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm

One more thing Blunderbuss, since you are new to miniatures nothing says you can not play with unpainted minis (no matter what the mini snobs say) or minis with just a quick inking to bring out the details and then paint them as you go. Some times if you put a NPC mini down for the first time and then use good old theater of the mind to describe the colors of what he or she is wearing for the players and then for the next game you have painted up the minis it can make that mini very special to your game. Or perhaps the low level party fights a unpainted/inked dire rat and kills it with a stab to the face the next time they face a dire rat you might have painted it with a wound to the face as a nod to their earlier days or perhaps a return of a rat that is more than it appears to be.

Just a thought to get minis to the table faster.

PS if you do go with bones minis they will need something to bring out what details they do have because they have more detail that one would think from their unpainted look. Unpainted they look really horrible IMO

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm
Cast spell effects in clear separately and make the appropriate figures able to plug the effect into hand or staff -
whatever is appropriate. The removable flame on the giant Red Dragon somebody produced is very useful.
I have to agree that while spell effects can look very cool being able to remove them is way cooler.

The trend in PPM now days of spell effects is going to get tedious real fast when I want a NPC that looks like one with a spell being cast but is not a spell caster.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 pm

If you start to paint bones, you need a basecoat as the bones can be unfriendly to mini paints, even Reaper ones. I have found the DF paints to be excellent for basecoats on bones minis.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm
Hey DF team, if possible please cast any miniatures that have spell effects in clear dwarvenite so we can have cool looking translucent effects. :) I don't know if any will have that type of pose or dynamic effect, but I would rather it look translucent than opaque if it's a flame, magic effect, etc. A good example of where it was small but could have looked great was the sewer warden from KS3 with his fire. Perhaps too small to justify it, but a translucent flame would have been fun. :)
An addition to this suggestion.
Cast spell effects in clear separately and make the appropriate figures able to plug the effect into hand or staff -
whatever is appropriate. The removable flame on the giant Red Dragon somebody produced is very useful.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm

If you are doing that, may I make a suggestion or three? The Dwarven Forge miniatures kickstarter probably won't deliver for AT LEAST a year from now, so you'll have a lot of time without minis if you wait.

First, if you have terrain, you probably want SOMETHING for minis instead of dice, tokens, or torn up strips of paper. Buy some pre-painted minis for your basics (one of each class, possibly different genders, goblins, orcs, undead, etc) and then find unpainted versions of those basics and unpainted unique things that you feel would pop up in your gaming or would be fun to have (beholders, yuan-ti, dragons, etc). As you paint your way through the unpainted items, start selling off the old pre-painted ones. If you sell them off in groups (8 goblins, 5 orcs, 5 adventurers, etc) you should get just amount the same money back that you paid for them, especially if you bought them in a bulk collection. That way you get to use minis the whole time with your new Dwarven Forge and in the end you spent little to nothing on the pre-painted minis. Win-win.

Second, if you are starting out with miniature painting, I -HIGHLY- suggest one of Reaper's "Learn to Paint" kits. Also, go for their Bones line of miniatures because they have a wide variety and are MUCH cheaper than other miniature brands because they are made out of a soft plastic lovingly called "Bonesium" by the community. Learn to paint on the cheaper models, because metal minis can cost 3-10x as much as the Bones line. I also suggest the Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures line of minis for the same reason, but they are a hard plastic. Both can be found at your local gaming store.

Third, make sure if you are painting miniatures, you get paint designed for miniatures. For painting things like Dwarven Forge, there are very few minute details so you don't need specific paint. But for miniatures with small details, stuff like the size of pigment flakes in a medium or opacity becomes an issue, especially with stuff like eyes or shading.

My $0.02. :)

Welcome!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Blunderbuss wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 pm
But for now, I’ll hold off on committing on anything until I see more of what the Dwarven Forge miniature Kickstarter will entail!
Once you have partaken in the DF mini KS and fallen in love with painting minis you should check out Otherworld Miniatures they are great quality metal minis and have been used in many other DF enthusiast's games.

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/