Other (List in Comments)
No votes

Total votes: 153

Blunderbuss
Kobold
Kobold

Re: What minis do you MOST want?

Post by Blunderbuss » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I’m very excited to be joining the Dwarven Forge community and will definitely be looking into all of your mini recommendations!

Although it may be challenging, I’ve sort of resigned to the fact that I may well have to go with unpainted miniatures and simply find the time to paint them up to standard myself. I imagine it could be a fun (if time intensive) hobby. Up until the announcement of a Dwarven Forge miniature-specific Kickstarter, that was the plan.

But for now, I’ll hold off on committing to anything until I see more of what the Dwarven Forge miniature Kickstarter will entail!
Last edited by Blunderbuss on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Hey DF team, if possible please cast any miniatures that have spell effects in clear dwarvenite so we can have cool looking translucent effects. :) I don't know if any will have that type of pose or dynamic effect, but I would rather it look translucent than opaque if it's a flame, magic effect, etc. A good example of where it was small but could have looked great was the sewer warden from KS3 with his fire. Perhaps too small to justify it, but a translucent flame would have been fun. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm

It has been 35 years for me... she told me there was one waiting the other day... i pick it up Sunday. :-D

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm

I've been out of the parents place for 38 years and still get those boxes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

My mom didn't want to be one of "those moms" ... so i got box after box after box of "stuff" she found around the house, in the attic, and whatnot for many years after I moved out. :-)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I bet a lot of good stuff has been lost that way. It is a perennial story in the comics world.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:17 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm
Once and awhile I think about mothers and widows throwing out collections of minis/game stuff, instead of selling them because they do not know what was spent on those collections. :shock:
Me too, it makes a tear well up... :cry:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm
I have basically got my entire miniatures collection for "almost free" by buying collections, keeping a few, and taking time to resell the rest individually or in groups of like-monsters.
If I did not live at the edge of the known universe this is what I would have done.

Once and awhile I think about mothers and widows throwing out collections of minis/game stuff, instead of selling them because they do not know what was spent on those collections. :shock:

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

I will agree with Kodiakbear that DF's minis compare admirably to the ones produced by WOTC, Paizo, Wizkids, etc. Don't assume they are light years ahead of other pre-painted miniatures. Their old resin minis are very nice, however. The dwarvenite ones are passable for tabletop quality, just like other brands. If you are using them for gaming, and not showcasing, then I also suggest buying collections/lots of minis as it will get you the most variety for the least cost, and then fill in what you need with individual purchases.

I have basically got my entire miniatures collection for "almost free" by buying collections, keeping a few, and taking time to resell the rest individually or in groups of like-monsters. It's taken time, bit by bit, but it's been worth it.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 am

Welcome to the forums

I love Dwarven Forge but I am going to say that IMO DF's miniatures or no better painted that most pre-painted plastic miniatures. Oh sure with thousands and thousands of PPM on the market some are painted very badly but some are painted better than DF minis. But DF sells theirs in known sets so that makes them better IMO.

When looking at getting into miniatures I would suggest you think about what you like the look of. If you just want to get something easy go PPM buy a lot of minis off ebay and then start adding minis as time goes by, if on the other hand you want a certain look choose the brand that meets your desired sculpting look. I personally loath oversized weapons, oversized characters and cartoony looking characters so that removes many mini makers from my lists. But it is about what you like, and what you like to use with your Dwarven Forge and I stress that it is about what you like, and what you like to use with your Dwarven Forge because if the line of minis you like are all on huge bases they may not work well with DF.

Either way, welcome to the DF addiction and I guess now the miniature addiction.