3D files of unreleased models?

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Re: 3D files of unreleased models?

Post by fstkfstk » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Just to rehijack this thread sort of where it started,

I've been printing in black PLA with my Lulzbot Mini. The pieces look okay and improved with sanding. There's still a lot of porosity and lack of fusion on the top/bottom surfaces which is very environment/material dependent (hotter/cooler in the room, humidity levels, etc.)

DF paint sticks to the PLA prints like a dream but you can tell when a print has sub-optimum parameters as it wicks up more paint on the top/bottom. The end result looks fine but is nowhere near the look-feel quality of DF pieces.

With some putty and sanding it would be a lot closer but that's a huge amount of work for even a single piece (hard to sand in crevices for example).
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:57 am

I like at 1:54 where you hear "Ow" :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Luxspew
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Luxspew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:57 pm
So let us summarise:
Luxspew wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:05 am
and can't seem to find the video of him saying what happens if he didn't hit 2million.. but I'll post it when I do.
Stefan says this in The Dwarvenaut for KSI which they fell short of - pretty sure they made enough in the PM.
Either way DF have been able to move forward and create a lot more product
Nope it was his movie premier thingy for The Dwarvenaut just after KS3 went live. He says it around 56 seconds in. But still I guess the video was outdated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agvmtnT6p6I

just figured I'd still post that as I said I would once I found it.

I'm excited to see what is in store for June!! ;)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Luxspew wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm
I'm actually getting a castle from you guys plus I have some of your sewers and a small bit of caverns and then would you believe I'll be mixing my printable scenery stuff with that? lol
Yup, I use DF my terrain and 3D printed stuff for fiddly bits and accents/stuff that just isn't available or practical for DF to do. :) Mix and match!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Willkommen to tha Forum.
We love pictures here, so post soon and post often... ;)

Luxspew
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Luxspew » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks again for the warm welcome! and I meant no offense and I take no offense. I will, for sure, post pictures once I'm done reorganizing my layout.

I'm actually getting a castle from you guys plus I have some of your sewers and a small bit of caverns and then would you believe I'll be mixing my printable scenery stuff with that? lol

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:57 pm

So let us summarise:
Luxspew wrote:
and can't seem to find the video of him saying what happens if he didn't hit 2million.. but I'll post it when I do.
Stefan says this in The Dwarvenaut for KSI which they fell short of - pretty sure they made enough in the PM.
Either way DF have been able to move forward and create a lot more product
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Personally, I feel that DF's current niche is dwarvenite. You can't print dwarvenite.

I also like the prepainted option, which I can't get with 3D printing.
That is true
kitenerd wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I love that we have tools at our disposal, but lets NEVER lose the human touch.
That is also true
Valorian_Seneschal wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

I personally hope we never go in this direction. As a traditional crafts people we would be sad to lose the handmade touch that I think sets us apart.
That is so true
Luxspew wrote:

but some of you guys hint that I speak of Blasphemy
Believe us there has been no hinting about this ;)
arsthein wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:01 am

The day I see DF releasing 3D printer files I would take it as a sign of the company performing poorly.
We think this is true also.
Luxspew wrote:

I'm sure people will always buy such awesome pieces as they stand currently
Pretty much yeah

DF are selling physical pieces while others are selling similar STL files
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 am
Luxspew, we are quite an interesting group, aren't we? :)
So True
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 am

Great suggestions though! I hope you stick around on the forums and we haven't scared you off. :) Please check out the caverns kickstarter in June!
This is also so True

Ok to be clear Luxspew (great handle btw) you have made a perfectly valid point and while most have not agreed, we believe everyone has made some great points without ever making it personal. Which is why we love this forum :)

Blasphemy Smasphemy .... yeah we went there!

so stick around and keep posting - new ideas are always welcome if not always agreed with.
We are still mulling over whether to put forward our idea for a 'All Hail the Bunny King' encounter
Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:22 am

There is something magical about Dwarven Forge products. It is not just the look and artistry, but the feel.
Nuff said - drops the mic
I am the Game and I want to Play

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm

ebrandeis wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 pm
L...I think you'll find that when you get three forum trogs ... in the same thread, you end up with seven different opinions. :lol:

Our minds are a little fractured like that. ;)
Literal LOL. thanks Eden. :lol:

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Luxspew - welcome to the DF forums! I also hope you stick around the forum and share more ideas and (especially) photos.

For what it is worth, I don't think your message is coming across as you might be intending.

As far as the fan mindset here, I think you'll find that when you get three forum trogs (we're troglodytes - I think that was a GOW affection) in the same thread, you end up with seven different opinions. :lol:

Our minds are a little fractured like that. ;)

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Luxspew wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Literally everything you say here is just to read yourself talk so I'll break it down for you

The forums is a place of community where you bring your ideas to see what people say, and you guys defo pasted that test LOL

If I spent $2000+ I better be able to make a full castle. Instead of me taking my family out to a theme park to hang out im trying to bring them to the table and spending $2000 on anything is a bit much and that's what you are spending when buying the Royal Castle.

What I do with my time is none of your business so why does it matter what a print time could or couldn't be? I'm asking you for files, who cares what I do with my time after? I print fast enough to not care and it sounds like you still don't know what you're talking about. This was a part of that elitist comment I made earlier.

I get the hint and it's fine lol

I still love Stefan and his team and their products. From everything THE MAN has said himself I just got a different feeling of mindset with his fanbase but I see I was mistaken.

I just didnt want to see the STL files be built wrong and was suggesting to talk to Matt.

I talked to Matt or else I wouldnt have even tried to suggest it here to begin with.

and I feel I need to say this again but I never wanted to suggest taking away dwarvenite! I just think they could do both...

Anyways, again, thanks for your time! figured I'd stir the pot a little and it seems I did just that ;)

CHEERS! and happy gaming.
I apologize if I said something that offended. I was only expressing my opinion as a bystander, no different than you.

It looked to me like you were trying to connect with someone to make a business deal. I must have misunderstood.

Your time is your own. I am not sure how you took it the way you did... but clearly I said it wrong. Printing a whole set is probably faster than waiting a year for a kickstarter to fulfill.

The long and short of it is that everyone has their own wants and needs. Ours happen to be different. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas, pictures of projects and builds, and participation in discussions in the near future.