3D files of unreleased models?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: 3D files of unreleased models?

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Astolat,that is avery cool model. I am sad to say that is not up to Dwarven Forge standard.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Hmm, not sure why they didn't show, they did for me -- I've tried embedding them from the Thingiverse page now, but if they still don't show up, you should be able to see them there:

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:454798

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:36 am

astolat wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 am
FWIW, RabbitBurner, I'm very happy with the Sindoh 3DWOX printer, which I just got this past January.
Thanks for the recommendation and review - the pictures don't display sadly - but your point is well made :)

Been looking at the Formlabs From 2 for a couple of years but at £3k its expensive - though cheaper than a DF KS!

The specs are good and seems to get good write ups and customer service seems good. It too suffers from the bespoke printing material in this case resin. But it is more than double the cost of your Sindoh 3DWOX.

The Form 2 print resolution is 25 microns where the Sindoh 3DWOX is 50 microns as far as I can tell. But in all honesty you have to see a print to decide if the resolution is good enough. Was hoping to pick up a cheap KS printer to dip my feet in the 3D printing waters and decide if I want to proceed down the road. But the one KS I backed fell flat on its fat face!

In the meantime we have backed a few STL Kickstarters and have compiled a stockpile of tabletop STLs waiting for our now mythical printer.

So we might just take the plunge with a Sindoh’s DP200 3DWOX - like you say all the reviews are positive and where issues have occurred their customer service seems to rival even DF :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 am

I'm there too AnimeSensei. I don't want to print out sets of tiles, but I already love being able to print out props and dungeon dressing and spare pieces at a whim.

FWIW, RabbitBurner, I'm very happy with the Sindoh 3DWOX printer, which I just got this past January. My primary criteria were ease of use, quiet/lack of odor, and print quality. The Sindoh is not cheap and has a major constraint: you need to use their proprietary cartridges and they have a limited range of materials--only basic solid-colored PLA (a lightweight firm plastic which is what I am using) and ABS (more Legoish material). The upside is, you can just pop in a cartridge and go, and it's entirely enclosed. I keep it in a small room, and with the door closed it's completely inaudible. I do have a ceiling fan and a window in the room that I generally have cracked while it runs, and doing that I've had zero odor.

The quality even in "easy/normal" mode blows away the printed piece I bought off ebay this past summer while considering a 3D printer. The vertical lines someone mentioned earlier in the thread were very much an issue with that piece, but here's an example of a piece I just finished, printed from a free Dwarven Horn model off thingiverse that I just threw straight into the 3DWOX software and printed in easy mode at high quality with no adjustments.

closeup with mini for scale

I did no cleanup on this piece; I wanted to see how it would look with minimal effort. If you look closely, you can see a few stray "stringies" in places and there's places where you can see the vertical lines, but it's certainly tabletop quality by my standards. It's very light but sturdy and I have no hesitation letting kids play with it (not least because if they break it so what, I can print another).

It started in white PLA, I based with Pokorny base grey, stone edge dry brush for the statues, then basically piled on all the Reaper metallics. :P Pokorny paint works beautifully on the PLA. So far no issues with the paint coming off even after letting a bunch of seven year olds handle it. :) I did stick with washing more than dry brushing because dry brushing accentuates the vertical lines.

That said, it was nine hours to print it. I don't want to spend time on that scale printing big batches of stuff that I can just buy; I don't think it is a good use of time, I doubt it's healthy to do that much inside a home no matter how good the filters on the printer are, and the material is definitely less satisfyingly tactile than Dwarvenite. But I DO think it is a terrific resource for something unusual and specific. (Like for instance any stretch goals that don't make it... ;) ;) ;)
Last edited by astolat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 am

I love 3D printed stuff for accessories that are too niche for a massive run, but are cool enough to make a great scene. Until my kids are older, that's probably where I'll be in the interest scale.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 am

I feel like print-your-own 3D terrain is where VR is. There are lots of talkative hobbyists but the install base is tiny and the product is heavily constrained. We've been looking into industrial 3D printing at work (think steels and nickel alloys) and even at the high-end printing is a niche product outside of design space.

In consumer space the materials just aren't going to hold a candle to proper injection molding and the tough paint DF uses. The market for "play out of the box" is very large and much larger than the market for "print for a month and paint for another month." Just go back and look at who pledged painted vs. unpainted and that's without having to troubleshoot printers.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm
Stefan and crew have said every piece of this kickstarter (and I'm assuming prior ones) have been sculpted by hand. The only 3D models are scans made of the prototypes so sizes can now be adjusted to all be the same size/footprint (I think this part started in KS3). I know Stefan has said their mission is to keep it "real" as long as possible and do tangible sculpting instead of 3D objects. But all I'm saying is just what I've heard; opinions may have changed and plans may be different.

Personally, I feel that DF's current niche is dwarvenite. You can't print dwarvenite. Anyone can do 3D modeling; we have Dragon Lock, Printable Scenery, Open Forge, etc. A .STL file line would have to be phenomenal at this point as DF wouldn't be the market leader, as they currently are with out-of-the-box unpainted/prepainted terrain. Unless they feel competition is hitting a point where they have to compete or become obsolete, I think they will stay with their niche. I know I love that my kids can play with dwarvenite and I don't have to worry about it breaking/chipping. Even with 3D printed stuff, I'd have to wait for it to print (correctly!) and then paint it again if something were broken by my kids. I also like the prepainted option, which I can't get with 3D printing.
You know, that's a really good point. I thought that perhaps if they made Dwarvenite available to the home consumer, it may help them make the bottom line, but now I agree with you. Dwarventite & the sculpt is what sells DF. They should hold on to what gives their company an edge.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm
We expect a full breakdown of your 3D printing experience and pictures of your prints ..... please :)
We got a bunch of STL files from various Kickstarters but as our 1 Kickstarter no-result was for a 3D printer we are still looking at garnering a quality 3D printer.
Will do what I can!
Sorry to hear about your failed Kickstarter. I found out about the dismal track record of 3D printer KS just *after* I pledged for mine. But at least I know that my creator has two previous KS under their belt, and have been very good with communication, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Stlmage has been doing a good business here with 3D print add-ons for KS3 windows and KS4 towers. And weren't there some 3D print fixtures and casings for LED lights floating around here somewhere as well?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 am
We are still in the infancy of personal 3D printing. For terrain, Dwarvenite clearly wins in the durability and painted option categories. However, they can't make molds for everything. Printing does offer ways to enhance the DF themes we love. But in the future, as costs come down and speeds go up, and materials get sturdier, 3D printing may become the next new standard of available terrain products.

I'll be making my first foray into 3D printing by mid-summer. Already will have some Egyptian-themed items to test the waters.
We expect a full breakdown of your 3D printing experience and pictures of your prints ..... please :)
We got a bunch of STL files from various Kickstarters but as our 1 Kickstarter no-result was for a 3D printer we are still looking at garnering a quality 3D printer.
I am the Game and I want to Play

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 am

We are still in the infancy of personal 3D printing. For terrain, Dwarvenite clearly wins in the durability and painted option categories. However, they can't make molds for everything. Printing does offer ways to enhance the DF themes we love. But in the future, as costs come down and speeds go up, and materials get sturdier, 3D printing may become the next new standard of available terrain products.

I'll be making my first foray into 3D printing by mid-summer. Already will have some Egyptian-themed items to test the waters.