3D files of unreleased models?

Valorian_Seneschal
Orc
Orc

Re: 3D files of unreleased models?

Post by Valorian_Seneschal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:53 pm

astolat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:13 pm
This seems to have turned into a conversation about a preference for Dwarvenite or hand-sculpting over 3D models. But I also prefer Dwarvenite and hand-sculpted models, that's why I'm buying DF! I feel like anyone who is here in the forums probably feels the same; anyone who would disagree isn't here.

I'm only talking about EXISTING hand-sculpted pieces that are literally sitting on a shelf in the DF offices doing nothing. We can't HAVE them in Dwarvenite.

I would really love it if DF would consider taking these pieces, get them 3D scanned (which sounds like it is already something they do for fine-tuning purposes?), and make them available to those of us who would like them. That's all I'm saying.

DF may not want to spend the time on it, which I'd totally understand, but it's not an aesthetic choice. If I could choose to get it all in Dwarvenite I would. But I would rather have the option of an STL file than only a painfully tantalizing glimpse in a corner of a photo. :)

ETA: Oh, and now I have actually re-read my original post, I did mention in passing that I was hoping they would do STL files in this next KS (because wasn't that something they were considering in a KS survey or something like that?) Which is also true but not because I don't want them in Dwarvenite. I want STL files *OF* the Dwarvenite models. That's because I would love to be able to do things like quickly print myself out a single filler piece I need for that night's game or a piece that is out of stock or to mod a piece that I need to work a little differently.

Anyway, that's not my main point; whether or not DF chooses to do STL files in general, I'd still love the STL files of the unreleased pieces.
We do not 3d scan our models for fine tuning purposes. The only pieces even close to what you describe are a few of the castle walls, and that was only done because the fit needed to be mechanically impeccable for them to function as intended. Everything else was hand sculpted and hand refined.
Nina, Valorian Seneschal

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 pm

There have been a few sculpts that did not make the KS they were made for, but ended up being part of a following KS. So quietly confident that the missing castle ruins will make the cut in KSVII or VIII or even IX!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 pm

I think all the unreleased pieces do have some possibility of being released someday in dwarvenite. Maybe, possibly. I think the brand concerns are very valid.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Bossman
Orc
Orc

Post by Bossman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Stefan has hinted at a 2018 castle expansion so perhaps some lost sculpts will see the light of day then.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:13 pm

This seems to have turned into a conversation about a preference for Dwarvenite or hand-sculpting over 3D models. But I also prefer Dwarvenite and hand-sculpted models, that's why I'm buying DF! I feel like anyone who is here in the forums probably feels the same; anyone who would disagree isn't here.

I'm only talking about EXISTING hand-sculpted pieces that are literally sitting on a shelf in the DF offices doing nothing. We can't HAVE them in Dwarvenite.

I would really love it if DF would consider taking these pieces, get them 3D scanned (which sounds like it is already something they do for fine-tuning purposes?), and make them available to those of us who would like them. That's all I'm saying.

DF may not want to spend the time on it, which I'd totally understand, but it's not an aesthetic choice. If I could choose to get it all in Dwarvenite I would. But I would rather have the option of an STL file than only a painfully tantalizing glimpse in a corner of a photo. :)

ETA: Oh, and now I have actually re-read my original post, I did mention in passing that I was hoping they would do STL files in this next KS (because wasn't that something they were considering in a KS survey or something like that?) Which is also true but not because I don't want them in Dwarvenite. I want STL files *OF* the Dwarvenite models. That's because I would love to be able to do things like quickly print myself out a single filler piece I need for that night's game or a piece that is out of stock or to mod a piece that I need to work a little differently.

Anyway, that's not my main point; whether or not DF chooses to do STL files in general, I'd still love the STL files of the unreleased pieces.
Last edited by astolat on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:07 am

Computerised v Physical

Love playing computer Games :)
Total War and Company of Heroes are two particular favourites.
But there is something .... magical? about having your forces in your hand, having the layout you want. Moving the pieces around as you or your players want.

It is difficult to describe because physically it will not look as good as digital models, but therein lies its magic, you don't get a connection as easy with a digital construct than you do with a physical one that you may have built and painted and used over and over again possibly investing it with a character and history.

You cheer when your favourite character scores a hit, your mourn his loss when he is run over by a Tiger I.

There are many drawbacks of physical over digital.

Time - this is probably the biggest, time taken to receive, build, paint, setup and play for physical games is huge compared to firing up your PC and running your game.

Cost - this can be huge too, a computer game may cost £40 ($55) but to play the equivalent physically on a tabletop can be enormous, especially if you looking at as realistic terrain as possible.

Scope - The scope of a computer game can be massive, but then so can a physical game or campaign but they make more demands on Time and cost.

Storage - maybe not a big issue but can be a big factor and has spawned a few threads in these forums.

But still even after all the above there is a big thrill and sense of achievement when you create a build on your table I always have a massive smile on my face when I enter my games room when there is a build on the table, whether its just a grass mat with some cheap hills, or a sprawling city or towering castle. At the moment its a W40K ice world.

It is your creation based on your visions not someone else's based on theirs.

Somehow there feels like there is a social stigma attached to playing with physical figures as opposed to playing a computer game, one is playing with toys and one is a gamer in most social commentaries, when in fact they are both gamers just using different medias - the same is said of Comics and Books.
Could go on about social perceptions of the above - but maybe save that for the Social commentary thread.

So what is the Hot Take? We like playing with our tabletop 'toy' soldiers - deal with it world!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm

... and all non-D&D people scratch their heads and move a bit further away.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 pm

A slaad for president? What's next, a (insert D&D creature joke that makes 50% of the audience laugh and the other half angry)?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 pm

too late - i inhaled ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Mushu_Green
Orc
Orc

Post by Mushu_Green » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm
Valorian_Seneschal wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

I personally hope we never go in this direction. As a traditional crafts people we would be sad to lose the handmade touch that I think sets us apart. I sculpted the ruined sets for the Dungeon of Doom and Castle Crenelations, and I was also sad that they didn't come out, but to see stl versions of them would bother me more. We have all seen some amazing 3d sculpts, but I really think something is lost when it is all computerized. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
No, you are not old fashioned - you are 100% correct.

When robots run the world and androids play D&D with each other, I am sure they will be quite satisfied with 3D sculpting. When people play a game, in person, face to face, with pen & paper and not computers, their minis and terrain should be sculpted by hand. By real people, with souls and hearts.

This is not an argument of quality. I recently got into this regarding digital photography. I don't CARE which is superior. That is not the point. There is some intangible magic (for the creator for sure and i believe perceptible by the end user/viewer) to any object that is made by hand. More rewarding to make and more rewarding to use.

I love that we have tools at our disposal, but lets NEVER lose the human touch. Lets remember when to use tools and when to spend the extra time and effort to use our hands. When we create we put a piece of ourselves into what we make. It is what makes things beautiful and desirable and eternal.

Kitenerd for president !