KS Encounter Ideas

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by marcoreds » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 pm

What I'd like to see most (besides 4x4 pieces):

- A rocky bridge and other kind of rock elevations
- Rocky "ledge" pieces (if possible, with the edges close to the water "sloping down" more towards ground level).
Both of these would help to create a "subterranean lake or river" scenario.
These pieces already exist in dungeons, and existed in cavern resin; would like them in dwarvenite caverns.

- Bigger cavern entrances.
To use as the entrance to a monster lair.

- Cavern to dungeon transition pieces.
For connection between dungeon zones and cavern zones. Kind of those found in the old resin caverns.

- Wooden structures that make sense underground.
The kind of things (platforms, roped bridges, and such) that races like goblins or kobolds would use i their lair.

- More pieces to change elevation "naturally". I know there's the elevation pack, but I mean something that looks a lot less artificial. It's ok to go out of the "squares" and have odd shapes, because these could be pieces used as either a way to get to higher ground, or simply put in the middle of a cavern to simulate natural uneven ground.

- Some "hole in the ground" cavern themed pieces.

Cheers

Edit: I really hope that the format will be the suggested "very light encounters" + basic pieces, if at the moment there are 12 encounters to start with... :o

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Rushing/turbulent water, not the placid pond like surface on current pieces.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:40 pm

* Visiting the "home" environment of sentient monsters. If the cavern is overrun with goblins, where are the goblin families? My players often want to negotiate and talk with them. I would especially love standalone caverns with a single entry hole that can just be plunked down around a larger cavern for purposes of quickly putting together a place that feels more like a community.

* Anything that lends itself to a dramatic environment shift. Things like a cavern wall that can be broken apart, some kind of hole or slide that dumps the players down into an interior. Some better way to have an entrance hidden behind a waterfall. (The existing waterfalls are CONSTANTLY being used for hiding entrances behind them, but I find them prone to falling off and they don't fit into the 2-inch height limit.) A pile of rubble that could be used to cover most openings. Transition pieces among different environments (regular cavern to ice to lava etc). A forcefield covering an entrance.

* Stalactites (or other overhead hazards) falling down on their heads! No idea how you would handle this. :P

Max Rebo
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Max Rebo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

I enjoy DMing eccentric NPC's the most. Monsters that turn out to be NPC's are also favorites of mine. My players also enjoy these types of encounters.

I have run several encounters in the Underdark where the floor is smooth like glass and looks like polished obsidian. It is naturally incredibly slick and difficult to stand on.
I've also run encounters where there were glowing crystals protruding from the walls that absorbed magic. My group likes these sort of challenges as they tend to be combat first types.

Large natural columns lined with ancient glyphs would be great (even cooler if the magical glyphs actually glowed).

As a quick aside to the DF team, I would suggest looking over the D&D adventure Out of the Abyss for potential ideas. That is, if you haven't already. It's full of unique and interesting Underdark maps and ideas.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 pm

What are the kinds of pure role-play encounters that you love to DM? And what role-play encounters do your PC’s seem to enjoy the most?

Favorite in Caverns is always with a monster that you could fight, but it'd be a distraction and not actually help with your goals. Does the Illithid simply want something you don't want to give him, but sacrificing the thing is better than a noisy loud fight when you're on the run?

What natural hazards would you use most often in a cavern setting? Any really specific hazards that wouldn’t come out often but would be total showstoppers when they did?

Cave-ins are obvious, but we all have a bit of rubble for that by now I'd wager. I like exploring unnatural darkness and poison gasses. Things that help the players imagine just how confined they are below the Earth. I like to amp up the claustrophobia.

What kinds of puzzle/riddles/challenges do your players enjoy tackling which would also be found in a cavern setting?

Basic survival and finding the right way are probably some of my favorite non-combat encounters.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 pm

natetaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am
In KS6, I’ve been putting a lot of emphasis on the narrative - after all D&D is all about storytelling, so let’s make sure we’re giving you guys the tools to tell an awesome story.

To that end, we’ve been playtesting the Encounters for KS6. I’ve run the our office team (Nina, Erin, Tobi, Janet, Selina) through the first 12 Encounters (Elye, Drew, Michelle, Chuck and Stefan were able to join us for the first 3 Encounters). Thus far everything has been pretty enjoyable (I mean it’s D&D, you’ve got to be doing something pretty poorly for it not to be enjoyable, right?). My main focus has been on making sure the Encounters are fun and memorable - do they set the stage for a scene that will excite your players?

Since we haven’t had enough different prototypes back to build anything cohesive yet, I’ve only built about half the rooms with physical terrain (usually an ugly combo of prototypes, foam mocks, random pieces, and paper). The others I’ve just done theater of the mind to see how the Encounter works in general (Is it fun? Is it challenging? Is it memorable? Does it further the story? Will terrain enhance this scene?). We’ll do another pass through once we have a build for each Encounter, to really test them as they’ll exist when you guys get them next year (damn, that’s a long time to wait for this stuff!).

After a first pass, everything still needs some tweaking and refining, but we’re early in the process. While we’re enhancing and improving things, I have a few question for you guys to help with that effort:
  • What are the kinds of pure role-play encounters that you love to DM? And what role-play encounters do your PC’s seem to enjoy the most?
  • What natural hazards would you use most often in a cavern setting? Any really specific hazards that wouldn’t come out often but would be total showstoppers when they did?
  • What kinds of puzzle/riddles/challenges do your players enjoy tackling which would also be found in a cavern setting?
I’m hoping to mine your answers for new ideas, and check our assumptions with what we’ve already made.

Feel free to get as detailed as you want, but if you’re going to write volumes, a few bullet points at the top would help skim value when we need to look back at this stuff multiple times. It’ll help us get the most out of your feedback.

Can’t wait to hear what’s brewing in your fertile and twisted minds...
I love where your heads at here, and I'm really looking forward to playing these. Are you still working with Teos on these? I play in one of his games and he's a damn genius of a DM. I'm obviously a big fan of his work.

That said, I think my favorite Caverns encounters as a player, and what I've tried to emulate as a DM all involve an amount of urgency. For me, that's a great dividing point between a Dungeon Crawl and exploring a Cavern. The draw on the two feels a bit better when they're separated a bit.

I think a classic example is the "Monsters have stolen the villagers and are about to sacrifice them in a deep dark of their cavern home." Ideally the players approach that scenario as a race and make timing based decisions. A wrong turn in a cavern leading to a dead end or pointless encounter has a bit more weight. I think this works with Underdark scenarios too: you're hopelessly outnumbered and have to quickly escape (Critical Role Season 1 has a great arc that does this really, really well).

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Oldent, you always amaze.

I didn't think of it before, but a cavern themed doodad set similar to Elye's Riddle Pillar from KS5 would be great. All sorts of odd and possibly rotating weird pieces like secret buttons, rotating pillars, camouflaged chests, false floors. That's rp and riddles all over. I would have loved to get more of those sorts of unique multi-function non-combat doodads outside of capstones.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Beware when the Radian spears glow with the color of blood BOOWHAHAHAAAAA

I have mentioned LED flood lights before ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Showstopper:

Monster dung. With a skeleton partially visible in it.

Piece with lots of hazard potential:

A cavern wall piece with the greenish water running down the wall and a large puddle on the floor against the wall taking up most of the floor. Great for green slime or an underground water filled passage to another part of the cavern nicely hidden in plain site. Or could be an acid pool that erupts with passing explorers.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 pm

natetaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am
I’ve run the our office team (Nina, Erin, Tobi, Janet, Selina) through the first 12 Encounters (Elye, Drew, Michelle, Chuck and Stefan were able to join us for the first 3 Encounters).
OK, i can only afford the first 6 so please - STOP NOW ;)

Good roleplay encounters a hard in a module. In our campaign we have been dealing with a Baron for several years. We work for him and are pretty sure he has betrayed us or at least set us up, but he is too powerful to cross. Even after all this time we are still not sure if he is the one of the evil wizards inserted into polite society, or if he is the only noble with the power to hold them back. We are still trying to figure out the larger game. This is impossible in a module. Still on a smaller level, i always LOVE the NPC who betrays the party at a crucial moment. They SHOULD see it coming, but if you run it right they don't. Always a great moment on either side of the table. This NPC can be a hired guide, an escaped prisoner, exiled outcast or whatever. The party thinks they have an in, right up until the rug gets pulled out from under them.

Physical hazards are hard in Pathfinder. In the old school days they worked better, but now everyone just flies or dimension doors past them. Sigh, Damn heros! Hard to answer this question without thinking about actual pieces i want. A cloaker or darkmantle would be awesome. Something that could be set on a 2x2 square with a mini in it (with four clear posts on the corners?) Not sure exactly how it would work, but it could be VERY cool. A floor with an insert piece is a given. Inserts to include: spears (trap), tentacles, carnivorous worm, eruption effect (LED lava? i can dream can't i?), ooze, and definitely a swarm of something. Some type of long rope bridge that could be detached on one end would be very cool (works as a trap or PC's can drop it as they flee to buy time).

Puzzles are harder to think up on the spot. I love the see it can't get it paradox. Either an illusion or unreachable or unremovable (Arthur's sword, Harry Potters flying key, all the chalices in Indiana Jones). True puzzles will only ever appeal to half of the players because some folks just are not fascinated by them. Parts quests are cliche, but they work great as a simple plot device, especially if they don't know they are assembling something but merely find a broken thing. Most often they leave the first part as worthless and have to go back. It would be neat to have a wall with a recess in it and something that fits in that recess located elsewhere in the cavern (that's several separate pieces for one plot device that would likely only get used once...). It would be cool to have a "GM Magnet" which was powerful enough to lift magnetic terrain off the Terrrain Tray without disturbing other pieces. Step on the wrong square and the GM removes it. Can you make it across the room? (I can't stop thinking about this - can i PLEASE pre-order two sets of puzzle floors from the last KS?) As long as we are going to have illuminated LED crystals (right?) why not have them color changing and have the PC's need to create a certain arrangement of colors? While in reality it could be a discreet button on top, in story it could be magic, or temperature, or water, or creature blood that changes the LED color.

That's all i can come up with off the top of my head this morning, but i am sure the hive mind will have many more clever ideas!

This is making me more excited than ever about KS VI
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939