KS Encounter Ideas

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by Oldent » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am

I use the crystal oracle as a known location. The cave is located under a small tavern.

I use a small cavern room. There is no reason the room could not be larger. I think the hidden doors are a key element.

The first is in the storage room.

The orical is an old metal model that I got as part of a trade. I have no idea where it came from. It is one of my favorite models. The details make the encounter fun.

Please remember that some of us use tiles for board games . I am working on LED crystal for Massive Darkness The Crystal Caves Scenarios. LED crystals from DF would be a very welcome addition.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:37 am

This prompt reminds me of all the great ideas KS5 brought up for caverns using KS4 style hook-on and peg doodads. I hope we see more doodad packs to mix and match all over!

Pulling that back up... drow city, dwarf city, goblin den, mystic cave... lots of ideas buried in the forums.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 am

Cavern features that I use most regularly are:

Small passages that force the players to crawl (and may be secret, and lead to treasure, and are guarded by weird ghosts!) Also great for bugs and kobolds!

Cobbled traps. Because kobolds.

Small streams, odd pools, and other fluids to mess with players. Rickety bridges over them. Perhaps with kobold traps hidden inside.

"Ancient" ruins that have been partially obscured by limestone drips. Shrines, graves, architectural features indicated that a natural cave is anything but. Possibly worshiped by kobolds.

Double height environments with ledges, nooks, and peek-holes. Used by kobolds as fortifications.

Garbage middens. Sooo many great ways to use these. Otyugh dens, evidence of in-habitation (secret bandit hideout!) Kobold traps hidden inside.

Show-stoppers:
Dragon nests (or whatever), treasure trapped within limestone or crystals that have grown over it, big dark menacing pits, kobold tribal alters.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am

After just asking for this, I would be wrong not to drop some ideas:

- cave ins
- vents (bad air, water, lava; from ground, wall, or ceiling)
- razor rock (or crystal)
- fungi (so much can be done with this)
- green slime (classic for D&D)
- piercers (another DD classic, stalactites that detach and impale those below, then have to walk back up)
- ice conversion pieces

other cavern expansions:
natural stairs; random holes for plug ins (similar to the burrows idea), rope bridge, random natural debris, cavern to dungeon conversion pieces

other thoughts I wish I had during the last campaign:
Modular pits (slice up the square pits from KS5 at the corners, make magnetic so they stick to the terrain trays; also create square terrain trays for the original pit bottoms and magnetize the pits)
SPELL EFFECTS!!!!

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 am

I'll say it for the mine fans. Tommyknockers......

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

KS Encounter Ideas

Post by natetaylor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am

In KS6, I’ve been putting a lot of emphasis on the narrative - after all D&D is all about storytelling, so let’s make sure we’re giving you guys the tools to tell an awesome story.

To that end, we’ve been playtesting the Encounters for KS6. I’ve run the our office team (Nina, Erin, Tobi, Janet, Selina) through the first 12 Encounters (Elye, Drew, Michelle, Chuck and Stefan were able to join us for the first 3 Encounters). Thus far everything has been pretty enjoyable (I mean it’s D&D, you’ve got to be doing something pretty poorly for it not to be enjoyable, right?). My main focus has been on making sure the Encounters are fun and memorable - do they set the stage for a scene that will excite your players?

Since we haven’t had enough different prototypes back to build anything cohesive yet, I’ve only built about half the rooms with physical terrain (usually an ugly combo of prototypes, foam mocks, random pieces, and paper). The others I’ve just done theater of the mind to see how the Encounter works in general (Is it fun? Is it challenging? Is it memorable? Does it further the story? Will terrain enhance this scene?). We’ll do another pass through once we have a build for each Encounter, to really test them as they’ll exist when you guys get them next year (damn, that’s a long time to wait for this stuff!).

After a first pass, everything still needs some tweaking and refining, but we’re early in the process. While we’re enhancing and improving things, I have a few question for you guys to help with that effort:
  • What are the kinds of pure role-play encounters that you love to DM? And what role-play encounters do your PC’s seem to enjoy the most?
  • What natural hazards would you use most often in a cavern setting? Any really specific hazards that wouldn’t come out often but would be total showstoppers when they did?
  • What kinds of puzzle/riddles/challenges do your players enjoy tackling which would also be found in a cavern setting?
I’m hoping to mine your answers for new ideas, and check our assumptions with what we’ve already made.

Feel free to get as detailed as you want, but if you’re going to write volumes, a few bullet points at the top would help skim value when we need to look back at this stuff multiple times. It’ll help us get the most out of your feedback.

Can’t wait to hear what’s brewing in your fertile and twisted minds...