KS Encounter Ideas

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by Oldent » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 am

Jim does most of the Prototypes. I made the base for Kirk's personal collection. He likes the way I do water.
Jim made the bridge prototype. I spoke with Kirk last Sunday he said the bridge will not be a new version.

I saw the CAD drawings for the Modern vehicles. They will also be made in the USA

At Discover Games. Kirk and I play Ancients. I don't do much with modern. The Shanty Town Prototypes again.

Kirk, myself and Jim at GenCon

This should answer William's concern as well.

The rope is flexible while the bridge base is rigid resin. The bridge has had a lot of use and only suffered very minor damage. The bridge is from the very first run.

MBA is a very small company with no full time employees.They are very dependable but some of the products have very short runs.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Didn't know you did prototypes for Kirk. Did you do the original bridge then?

I just checked mine. It seems to be all resin. Will the new one have actual rope?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:08 pm

It will be the same bridge. This is the display base I made for Kirk. The shanty town prototypes are going to be produced in the US. The bridge will still be produced in China.

You must say the words "Klaatu barada nikto
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 pm
It seems to be solid, but the rope is real rope. It's definitely dipped in or painted with something to stiffen it, but it's not as fragile as I would imagine the trees are. It's about as durable as the DF resin line, in my opinion. But I'm not willing to do a durability test. ;)
Oh, then this is aNEW rope bridge. Dammit, now I have to check the MBA KS....

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Oldent wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 am

I agree with both of you.
Agreed - you cant have enough bridges, roped, vaulted or otherwise :)
I spoke to Kirk last Sunday. The MBA bridge will be an add on in the August Kickstarter.

If you don't have one, get it. Best bridge ever. I have IIRC 2. You can use them everywhere!
They are even neater than the pic shows.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:19 pm

natetaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am
In KS6, I’ve been putting a lot of emphasis on the narrative - after all D&D is all about storytelling, so let’s make sure we’re giving you guys the tools to tell an awesome story.
SThat gets 2 Banzais, O Creative Narcotic Evil one...see viewtopic.php?p=127732#p127732

To that end, we’ve been playtesting the Encounters for KS6. I’ve run the our office team (Nina, Erin, Tobi, Janet, Selina) through the first 12 Encounters (Elye, Drew, Michelle, Chuck and Stefan were able to join us for the first 3 Encounters). Thus far everything has been pretty enjoyable (I mean it’s D&D, you’ve got to be doing something pretty poorly for it not to be enjoyable, right?). My main focus has been on making sure the Encounters are fun and memorable - do they set the stage for a scene that will excite your players?

Are you playtesting mostly to get encounters right, or are you playtesting the Encounter SETS for DwF KS 6?

Since we haven’t had enough different prototypes back to build anything cohesive yet, I’ve only built about half the rooms with physical terrain (usually an ugly combo of prototypes, foam mocks, random pieces, and paper). The others I’ve just done theater of the mind to see how the Encounter works in general (Is it fun? Is it challenging? Is it memorable? Does it further the story? Will terrain enhance this scene?). We’ll do another pass through once we have a build for each Encounter, to really test them as they’ll exist when you guys get them next year (damn, that’s a long time to wait for this stuff!).

I guess this means you're testing the set, not an encounter to publish later...

After a first pass, everything still needs some tweaking and refining, but we’re early in the process. While we’re enhancing and improving things, I have a few question for you guys to help with that effort:
  • What are the kinds of pure role-play encounters that you love to DM? And what role-play encounters do your PC’s seem to enjoy the most?
I survey the 20+ players in my 4 campaigns every year on exactly this. Their answsers, pretty consistentlyl, are, in priority order:
1-Encounters with memorable, fleshed out NPC's
2-DwF terrain is a high value for my players
3-Terrain precisely keyed to the plot point happening there is a big plus.

• What natural hazards would you use most often in a cavern setting? Any really specific hazards that wouldn’t come out often but would be total showstoppers when they did?
This depends on the PC. I keep a matrix showing each PC's primary abilities (primary meaning these abilities (A) define the PC, (B) are valued/thought cool by the player, (C) matter to the party as a whole.
I build the terrain to give PC a ;chance tdo USE these talents at least once per session. In theory.

• What kinds of puzzle/riddles/challenges do your players enjoy tackling which would also be found in a cavern setting?
One advantage of DwF terrain is WYSIWYG. One is amazed at how often even experienced players don't check things. NB: Our rule is that I tell PC in general what they see on enytering a space. My players know they have to direct PC attentions to specific areas to see more. DwF terrain allows for a lot of this. Worse (or better) it offers lots of places to hide things. I can't count how many times PC have forgotten to look in that hollow space under the spiral resin staircase...or look in the nooks and grannies of the 4-way resin cavern intersection!

The terrain has to offer multiple possbilities. The DM has to use them. A printed set of ideas might help new DM identify possibilites for each piece of terrain. Cheap - .pdf and free on the Dw F website.

I’m hoping to mine your answers for new ideas, and check our assumptions with what we’ve already made.

Feel free to get as detailed as you want, but if you’re going to write volumes, a few bullet points at the top would help skim value when we need to look back at this stuff multiple times. It’ll help us get the most out of your feedback.

Can’t wait to hear what’s brewing in your fertile and twisted minds...
Take a look at Gamemastering by Jamieson. His checklists, but more important his method for getting good NPC and using Challenges, may help. DOn't ahve to read the book - use the chapter and subheadings.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:59 pm

seeamanaboutadog wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Irregular pool pieces that are shallow dishes as per a limestone pool not using negative space or water pieces, more of an effect than obstacle or could it be??
Agreed - i still plan ti paint my Floor B pieces to look wet & slippery - caves are filled with difficult terrain - and taking away the five foot step makes combat tricky and dangerous
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

seeamanaboutadog
Kobold
Kobold

Post by seeamanaboutadog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm

some more thoughts,
A cavern to tunnel conversion piece.
Large cavern entrance /cave entrance 'arched over' so can be used with rest of cave/mountain pieces as caves along face of a cliff/elevation. A range of cave entrance sizes that could be also used as a intersections or dark holes leading off to some lair... not unlike the small holed piece in KS2 in the wicked additions pack which culminates in a small den/lair.
Irregular pool pieces that are shallow dishes as per a limestone pool not using negative space or water pieces, more of an effect than obstacle or could it be??
Some walls that are perforated by tiny tunnels/cave-lets. Our intrepid adventures will think twice about going down a passage that is littered with blind narrow openings!
No rest for the wicked!

Mushu_Green
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mushu_Green » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Elevation !!

Elevation !!

Elevation !!

Ledge, bridge, chasm, waterfall, etc. Some times the configuration with the Z axes in a combat really makes it memorable. This is something you can't do with pen and paper but DF magically brings it to life !

Something like the final scene in Lord of the rings with a rocky crenelation over a pit\volcano where you could put an altar or a huge boss fight would be awesome.

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I love encounters which involve either the players or the monsters suffering a condition, like blindness, confusion, haste, Etc. It would be really cool if you guys could come up with a marker which could indicate the mini experiences a condition that is easy to place on and off the mini. I imagine a miniature hula hoop or something of similar shape.