KS Encounter Ideas

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

szabbran wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm
I really, really want to see a rope bridge.
While there are other rope bridges on the market and dare I say it (it is possible to make one ourselves), I also really really want to see DF do a rope bride.

Perhaps one that is made to be expandable and compatible in someway with other DF bridges.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 am
KS5 will give us the Vaulted Open Arch Wall

Here are some encounter ideas if KS6 gave us a cavern style wall like it we could use the bars from KS5 to show were a cavern had been bared to keep the nasty deep dwelling creatures from coming to the surface (do we dare to bend the bars). But with a new ice door insert we could put creatures behind it having been frozen long ago to awake (will they be friend or foe) or as a frozen over entrance to the ice caves (what icy dangers lay past that frozen portal) . If possible with a insert filled with metal we could have a place for magnetic backed crystals or other accessories. And if just left open it would work as another style of narrow opening (perhaps a insert with a opening to fill the internal void). Heck a DM could stuff strings of cotton ball down in, to be the entrance to a spiders lair.
This is a fantastic idea - i love the ability to use a standard insert in multiple settings

I vote this the BEST idea of the KS comments - YES PLEASE - give us a cavern Insert wall to match our KSV Inserts and give us more inserts we can use either place!!!

So simple - one piece doubles the awesome everywhere!

My wife also added the idea of a sheet of water coming down & edge of a magical effect (like a wall of force) perhaps to be added after the player characters roll to notice it.

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm

I really, really want to see a rope bridge.

My "showstopper" encounter idea was mentioned earlier in the thread, and it's a bit niche to be sure, but I'd love a set that is the inside of a large beast (maybe an elder purple worm?). Something with a huge, toothy maw as an entry piece, and then some large encounter spaces for the adventurers to have to fight their way out from the inside. I have slotted an encounter like this into several campaigns and it's always a blast.

Along similar lines, maybe a cavern made out of the bones of an ancient dragon or other large creature?

And as mentioned in the "suggestions from the peanut gallery" thread, I'd really like to see wall/floor inserts that allow you to change the theme from dwarven to drow to goblinoid to crystal caves, etc.

For RP opportunities, I like the idea mentioned before of having a habitated goblinoid den (or environment where some other enemy type may live). My players aren't "always" murder hobos, so giving them the opportunity to interact like with the creatures where they live would be cool. A Mindflayer-themed environment would also be very, very cool for this.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:46 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm
KS2 gave us the Elevated Bridge 5-EBR

How about a longer one with metal inside. With metal inside we could have magnetic stalactites/piercers to break away and spear our adventures (Even if the DM did not have them break off it would allow a bridge to have more than a few or no medium sized stalactites) or magnetic LED crystals that would work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge or magnetic rocks that just look like a normal part of the cave that would also work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge (with the way magnetic items stick together you could have a nice big amount of rocks to come down in an rock fall). Heck a DM could glue some cotton ball string to a magnet as a spider web coming down from the bridge.
OUT-FREAKING-STANDING IDEA!

Max Rebo
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Max Rebo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:31 pm

This may be slightly off topic in regards to the questions you've asked but I'll just throw it out there in case no one else has proposed the idea. I think a great idea would be rock formations that have magnets embedded in them. You could take the various rock shapes, stick them together using the magnets and build all sorts of natural looking rocky outcroppings etc. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm

KS2 gave us the Elevated Bridge 5-EBR

How about a longer one with metal inside. With metal inside we could have magnetic stalactites/piercers to break away and spear our adventures (Even if the DM did not have them break off it would allow a bridge to have more than a few or no medium sized stalactites) or magnetic LED crystals that would work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge or magnetic rocks that just look like a normal part of the cave that would also work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge (with the way magnetic items stick together you could have a nice big amount of rocks to come down in an rock fall). Heck a DM could glue some cotton ball string to a magnet as a spider web coming down from the bridge.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Natural stone faces.

Formed by erosion (on cavern walls), mineral build-up (especially in flowstone, stalagmites, and stalactites), or shearing and arrangement (like the Old Man of the Mountain formerly in New Hampshire, the Huatulco Stone Face, or the “false alarms” in Labyrinth).

They might be geological curiosities, or semi-awakened stone elementals, or primordial gods, or an oread’s talking library, or a sentient mountain’s interface with adventurer’s/intruders.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 pm

fnordfriendly wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 pm
Sea caverns are cool. Make sea caves with cool coral growing on the surface. Grottoes are awesome, I use them often with negative space floors. I always want more free-standing walls for stuff like this. They could double as underwater caverns.
The caverns and mountains already make really good "ocean bottom" type pieces and I think sea caves and underwater caverns are a natural extension to this.

Here is an example of how easy it is with just a few KS4 mountain walls.

fnordfriendly wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 pm
Bone piles... big ones. I don't mean 1" squares, I mean massive bone piles in various configurations. Because lairs are in caverns, often. Lairs full of bones. Lairs full of bones, and nests like the resin one that isn't available anymore.
I love this idea. I'd buy an accessories pack or two of "freestanding" bone piles and monstrous corpses done up in dwarvenite.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm

fnordfriendly wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm
How about some cave paintings on some pieces? Or stalagmites with faces carved into them? Get Lady Sabelle to carve them up, she would do a great job with that.
Great idea. I do wonder how easy this would be to do with just paint in comparison?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

seeamanaboutadog pointed out the castle parts would work well with the caverns. I think the bridges and stairways will be very useful.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!