New water tiles

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: New water tiles

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 am

We agree that Terrain trays and water/lava tiles are not an either or.

We ordered enough terrain trays in KSV to make a moat around our castle, but having seen some of the beautiful builds with KSII water caverns we bought one of those sets from the web store then quickly 2 more - they are gorgeous and regardless of scale go well with our castles and look fabulous with mountains. (pictures can be provided).
But to make an entire moat to around a 32"x28" castle - not including Corner towers would be expensive and a little fiddly to do with tiles (would need to use batter bases or curved inserts), so terrain trays are ideal, but for streams and rivers we would much prefer tiles.

so +29 to DF providing both tiles and trays.
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm

I read all of the post in this and the water poll this morning. I was not sure how to comment because I am a fan of the resin water tiles but not the 2 by 2 water tiles. I also prefer seamless water. Some of the comments about 8 by 8 and 12 by 12 trayes caused me to pull out water tiles.

My first thought was an 8 by 8 lake. Then I thought about a 8 by 8 river. Then a 4 by 8 river. I realised a 4 by 6 river might be better because of the 12 by 12 trays.

I thought again about 4 by 4 and 4 by 8 tiles then released the water tiles should all be blank.
Regardless of what DF decides I am going to make mine like this.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 am

Rhizom wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Sorry to say, but I still hope that DF will concentrate their energies on more beautiful negative space water, no water tiles,but cool new ledges, chasms and so on...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/H9o7- ... 52-h769-no

I'm planning on making my negative space builds with all the ledges from KS V. I picked up two sets each of the Ledges and Angled Ledges just for that purpose. Plus the Lava Bridge, that ought to do the job (if you can ever have enough DF). Having said that, I also hope for both. I recently purchased water pieces and they are beautiful! I'd love to get my mits on some more. The lake pieces are awesome and would love it if they would republish those in Dwarvenite.

Rhizom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Rhizom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:54 am

Talistran wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:01 pm
But at the end of the day, you don't like water tiles... that is ok. But I have laid out some reasons why I hope that DF does not listen to you and instead does BOTH. And if they have to choose one, I am going to guess that more people would prefer new water tiles than new negative space... maybe we should put up a poll?
Of course you are right. There is some beauty in water tiles that cannot be reached that easily with negative space. I guess, if I had Tons of older water tiles, I would also opt for both. Fortunately -- or unfortunately, water was the only part of the Caverns theme that I did not buy, yet. Therefore I do not need water tiles to bring more variety into older Setups. But for sure I hope for all you DF-veterans, that they will listen to the people who supported them for a long time.

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Kryzko wrote: What is everyone hoping for out of a new water set? I know I would like larger 4x4 pieces like in the resin set, more bank shapes, a better waterfall, and a 4x4 with a whirlpool. I think that is about it. I am sure I am missing something.
I would like the trend of 8x8 to continue with water and lava tiles now that they have cracked the nut on that. I realize they have the terrain trays and that works well with negative space and all, but at least with full pieces we can get current designs or maybe even some waves (small ones mind you). Maybe some ripple effects for minis that go on top having popped up out of the water...with the lava it can be random hard spots floating on top or bridge anchors, etc.

*accidentally quoted the wrong person on the thread, tried to fix...

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Rhizom wrote:
Sorry to say, but I still hope that DF will concentrate their energies on more beautiful negative space water, no water tiles,but cool new ledges, chasms and so on...
While I respect your rights to an opinion, I don't share it and think you are "wrong". :) Let me explain why...

I desire both water tiles and negative water space. If I had to choose one, it would be water tiles because I can do negative water/lava. I can print it on paper or on canvas. I can order from the dozens of companies that make water and/or lava mats. This is not a niche market that we need DF to fill. I can even cut away dwarvenite to make my own ledges and chasms pretty easily.

You know what I cannot do? I cannot sculpt beautiful water tiles and pour them out of dwarvenite. In theory, some of us can sculpt them, but we cannot pour them out of dwarvenite.

Sure, I have a desire for new ledges and chasm type pieces too. For instance, I'd really like them to do a "beach/shore" type piece that fades away from normal height to zero height (over 4" so that miniatures can stand on the tile better with a lower angle grade) so that I can make larger negative spaces like big lakes and oceans. And then there are literally already dozens of options for the water or lava inside that space and I think that DF should team up to provide one of those options instead of investing time and money into it.

But at the end of the day, you don't like water tiles... that is ok. But I have laid out some reasons why I hope that DF does not listen to you and instead does BOTH. And if they have to choose one, I am going to guess that more people would prefer new water tiles than new negative space... maybe we should put up a poll?

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Rhizom wrote:
I want both. I do agree that the negative space pieces are more useful and more versatile but I have a bunch of KS1 water and would like to expand the shapes we can make. It would be nice to be able to make more natural looking waterways. Look at the old resin water sets. You are not getting anything that beautiful with negative space pieces.

I don't think this has to be an either/or situation. They are making 12 (I think it would have been better with only 8ish) new encounters, so I think there is plenty of room for both water tiles and negative space bank/chasm pieces. Now if we could only have one I would opt for the negative space design because of the increased versatility (water, acid, lava, blackness, or whatever).

Rhizom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Rhizom » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 pm

More bank shapes for certain! I get jealous every time I see one of the old resin water cavern sets- they look so much more natural.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm

What is everyone hoping for out of a new water set? I know I would like larger 4x4 pieces like in the resin set, more bank shapes, a better waterfall, and a 4x4 with a whirlpool. I think that is about it. I am sure I am missing something.