What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

I really want new water and/or lava tiles, and don't really care about new negative water/lava sculpts.
18%
I really want new negative water/lava sculpts, and don't really care about new water and/or lava tiles.
17%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new water/lava tiles.
48%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new negative water/lava sculpts.
12%
I do not care about any new water or lava options in KS6.
5%

Total votes: 112

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

Post by Harneloot » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:08 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Don’t let absolute fidelity to game mechanics or 10th grade science class get in the way of a great story, don’t let picking apart the realities of geological processes or architectural engineering get in the way of a fantastic build. Sometimes beauty carries its own truth.

Keep calm, slay dragons, and carry on.
Well said! Here here! :D

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:27 am

geekjeff wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am

Interesting .......

When playing DnD (or any other RP) how much realism can we screw ?
Okay, so maybe “screw realism” was unnecessarily harsh. I blame the late night carrots. ;)

The point being, we’re heroic characters in a fantastical world, people who don’t just believe but actually accomplish six impossible things before breakfast. Mundane physical laws indeed do not necessarily apply.

Don’t let absolute fidelity to game mechanics or 10th grade science class get in the way of a great story, don’t let picking apart the realities of geological processes or architectural engineering get in the way of a fantastic build. Sometimes beauty carries its own truth.

Will not argue with that :)

Though you need some structure to your fantasy world or all hell would break loose, ok not a good example as most would find that fun, but you'd have Dogs and Cats getting along, people happy paying International shipping, no one asking for beans!

But don't let the minutiae get in the way of some good old fashioned hairem scarem fun.

We literally have no idea what we just said!
I am the Game and I want to Play

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am

Interesting .......

Okay, so maybe “screw realism” was unnecessarily harsh. I blame the late night carrots. ;)

The point being, we’re heroic characters in a fantastical world, people who don’t just believe but actually accomplish six impossible things before breakfast. Mundane physical laws indeed do not necessarily apply.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:26 am

geekjeff wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 am
I mean, if we're doing realism all of us are laying dead in those lava caves from the concentrated sulfur dioxide atmosphere, even before we're cooked to a bacony crisp inside our armor by those lava floes from a distance of 20 feet.

So screw realism.
Hmmm, it appears mine are hot, but not that hot... :oops:

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

I would like something that looks more like the resin Hellscape tiles. Translucent orange plastic tiles perhaps. There is a difference between aesthetics and realism.

LEDs
I think a lot more can be done with light.

I would much rather read your opinions about realism and aesthetics than shipping updates. :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rhizom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Rhizom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 am
Some people seem to go overboard on the realism part of fantasy (not only DF, happens tons with miniatures also) and really want to get things that way. I disagree as I want the magic, the unusual, the imaginative, not something that can only be produced if it actually exists or existed once in the real world.
Where is the "Like"-button?
Couldn't agree more.

On the other hand, for me as a GM it is important, that I present a reasonable world of some sort to my players. It does not need to follow the same laws of nature as this world but it has to follow some, in order to give my players the chance to find some orientation in that world and to do reasonable decisions. Of course, they get lost often enough, anyway :)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 am

Some people seem to go overboard on the realism part of fantasy (not only DF, happens tons with miniatures also) and really want to get things that way. I disagree as I want the magic, the unusual, the imaginative, not something that can only be produced if it actually exists or existed once in the real world.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am

geekjeff wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:24 am
I mean, if we're doing realism all of us are laying dead in those lava caves from the concentrated sulfur dioxide atmosphere, even before we're cooked to a bacony crisp inside our armor by those lava floes from a distance of 20 feet.

So screw realism.
Interesting .......

For instance the above can be combated through the use of spells and magic items. But we would still expect lava to flow like lava (unless magically altered).

There of course different types of lava (ignoring pyroclastic flows for now) and surrounding conditions affect it - subterranean flows can be more liquid as the crust wont cool as quick, thus making lava river tiles in KSII more plausible.

Not being a vulcanologist either, but the lava Caverns feel more unlikely, certainly to occur naturally as a cavern.

But this is a fantasy RPG environment so we think you can screw with realism to get the environmental conditions across to the players :) Especially if it means we get some really cool carrots.

We have been known to use Holiday Inn Express ....... is that bad?
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:29 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 am
No LEDs thanks.
I am also not big on LEDs, so OK.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 am

No LEDs thanks.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria