What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

I really want new water and/or lava tiles, and don't really care about new negative water/lava sculpts.
18%
I really want new negative water/lava sculpts, and don't really care about new water and/or lava tiles.
16%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new water/lava tiles.
48%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new negative water/lava sculpts.
12%
I do not care about any new water or lava options in KS6.
6%

Total votes: 113

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 am

Blunderbuss wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am
I only meant that negative-space was the more recently adopted approach by Dwarven Forge (in Kickstarter V)
William wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 am
expanded upon.
Be it recently adopted or just expanded upon, I like negative space. My favorite negative space tiles that I have in my collection right now are the KS2 chasm pieces, which I happened to buy at the same time as my KS2 water tiles.

When we are asked to take a side for KS6 water options one of the reasons I say NO is because DF had the ability to do both chasms and water tiles way back in KS2 why would they not have the strength as a company to do both now.

Heck if KS5 showed anything it is that DF can do a ton of different stuff during a KS and if it stays on the main topic it will sell.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 am

Blunderbuss wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am
Your point is well taken, kodiakbear; “innovation” was poor wording on my part. The word implies improvement, which I did not mean to suggest in my post. Both water tiles and negative-space have their merits, and while we all might have our preferences, I don’t think that either is inherently better than the other.

I only meant that negative-space was the more recently adopted approach by Dwarven Forge (in Kickstarter V), as opposed to water tiles (in Kickstarter II). And should that signal an artistic direction that Dwarven Forge elects to pursue, then I don’t necessarily think that they should feel obligated to generate additional water tiles merely because they utilized them in the past.
I am not sure that this is a "signal of artistic direction" so much as it is keeping environments appropriately mapped out.

For dungeons, negative space works best. It would be hard to make 3D tiles look and work well in the dungeon environment IMO. Especially where in theory, there is going to be less "part" of the encounter and more "under" the encounter. Negative space works really well here.

For caverns, 3D tiles work best (IMO). Cavern water sets, cavern lava sets... look and work amazingly well and COULD NOT BE REPLICATED in negative space with the same beauty.

Outdoors, I see a mix. Beaches would work well with negative space. Rivers and lakes, work really well in 3D (if you have outdoor tiles). Mix and match.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 am

If you think back, there have been a few resin sets that work great for negative-space builds.
So they are nothing new, just expanded upon. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Blunderbuss
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Blunderbuss » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 am

Your point is well taken, kodiakbear; “innovation” was poor wording on my part. The word implies improvement, which I did not mean to suggest in my post. Both water tiles and negative-space have their merits, and while we all might have our preferences, I don’t think that either is inherently better than the other.

I only meant that negative-space was the more recently adopted approach by Dwarven Forge (in Kickstarter V), as opposed to water tiles (in Kickstarter II). And should that signal an artistic direction that Dwarven Forge elects to pursue, then I don’t necessarily think that they should feel obligated to generate additional water tiles merely because they utilized them in the past.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Blunderbuss wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:20 pm
If nobody ever innovated out of fear
Innovation can be great, but there is nothing more innovative about negative space builds than tile builds or vice versa.

I could have easily said

To abandon the KS2 style water tiles would be waste due to DFs creation of more elevation options.

To abandon negative space water chasm tiles would be a slap in the face to KS5 terrain tray customers.

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Interesting point KB.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:20 pm

While I really want Dwarvenite beach/gradual slope river edge tiles for negative space builds, I worry a lot about thin tiles and edges curling up.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I am strongly hoping for slope-down-to the-table-surface chasms or ledges this this around. Not only from floor height, but also from the top or middle of standard tiles, so waterfalls and the like.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:47 pm

I thought the KS5 tiles were more like broken floors, as opposed to natural stone? I went a bit light on these in KS5 as I was expecting KS6 to have more natural looking shorelines. It was really hard to tell in the ks5 photos though, so I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't do them for KS6 (assuming they stock up in the store...)
Law wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am
For me, it's very difficult to answer this question because I can't for the life of me imagine how to meaningfully expand the negative tiles already introduced in KS5. Obviously we haven't had a chance to tinker with them yet, but from what I've seen, they're quite flexible and can be combined with the water tray to make all kinds of streams, rivulets, lakes, etc. Minor aesthetic variations on those, and things like the broken floor tile, aside, it feels like we can pretty much already do water this way. What else could KS6 do?

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Something else to consider is sales and profit.

I'll drop $500 to $1000 on new water tiles. They are beautiful and awesome.

Or I can buy $100 worth of new chasm/ledges/beach (whatever they have in KS6) and print my own water (or buy a water mat and cut it apart).

I hope DF takes my money :)